DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another drone in the Airport

People do stupid things with cars. They even do terrorist attacks with cars.
True. And lemons taste really sour if you bite into them. But I don't think either of those facts have any relationship to this story.

The guy who caused the injury with his Phantom was found guilty of a criminal offense. No one has yet been convicted of any crime in relation to the Alaska Airlines incident. Additionally, it appears that they were following industry standard practice in terms of aircraft security.
And I seem to recall numerous responses here that it was another fake story when it broke.

Reactions: CHRISMAVIC
It gets back to the specific facts including was I supposed to know everything about that mechanic before letting him near the vehicle and was I supposed to be watching and supervising what he was doing? Of course, the other thing that might make a difference is whether I knew there was the functional equivalent of 15,000lb fuel bomb in the car that could be detonated in downtown Seattle within 5 minutes of being driven away.

Seems like the only answer is to do away with mechanics. Because airplanes are always potential weapons. And mechanics know how to start them, even if not how to fly them.

How can anyone be get caught.

Didn’t y’all by your drone with a cash gift card?? Dumb if you did not...

Using Both a modded Android and a modded DJI app to mask your ID.

Stay safe, stay smart, stay above the law.
Or if you don't consider yourself above the law, and intend to fly responsibly, just do it the way the rest of us do.

It's sounds to me like this particular pilot may not like drones? An average boeing lands at around 300km per hour, how the **** would he notice a drone at that speed and distance. A nyway just my thoughts
I've been a professional pilot since the '70's. On approach, it is quite easy to see something in your flight path. I have seen many many birds, and one kite, and a number of kids helium balloons. The kite was the most interesting one, becaause I could even scan down and see the guy by his truck who had positioned it there. It appeared that he was purposely flying it where it might be collected by an airliner. It was right on course and on glide slope. We had the local authorities dispatch to end his activity. Large birds could be seen from a fair distance, but small ones were often spotted at the last second. In nearly all of these cases, we did not have time to alter our course, as the time to impact was normally not sufficient.
Never had a drone, but I think in the right conditions, they would be easy to spot.

Seems like the only answer is to do away with mechanics. Because airplanes are always potential weapons. And mechanics know how to start them, even if not how to fly them.

787 Steve, did you listen to this audio tape of pilot reporting his observation of Russell acting suspiciously inside cockpit on at least two prior occasions? What do you make of pilot not reporting this sooner, and no one ever following up?

Russell was a "ramper," btw, not a mechanic. Here is an excerpt from newspaper story:

At 7:15 p.m., he arrived in a tow vehicle to the cargo area at the far north end of Sea-Tac’s airfield and climbed aboard Horizon Air Q400 four minutes later. Russell began the “sequence to start aircraft,” at 7:22 p.m., causing its propellers to start turning.

Over the next few minutes, Russell exited the plane and used the tow vehicle to turn its nose toward the airfield. He then pulled it away from its parked location at 7:32 p.m., with the aircraft taking off one minute later.

For the next hour and 13 minutes, Russell piloted the plane, at times pulling off several aerobatic stunts during the unauthorized flight, before crashing into the woods on the island in South Puget Sound at 8:46 p.m.

During a rambling, recorded conversation with ground control during the flight, Russell described himself as a “man in crisis,” but also calmly chatted about Mount Rainier’s beauty and how to find an orca that for days had garnered national attention while carrying its dead calf in Puget Sound.

The flight shut down airport traffic, prompted two F-15 fighter jets in Portland to break the sound barrier while scrambling to the scene and drew dozens of witnesses to call 911.

It also left pilots and other aviation experts speculating as to how Russell, a low-paid ground-services employee with no apparent pilot experience, knew how to fly the 76-seat passenger turboprop plane and pull off the aerial maneuvers.

The investigation didn’t find that Russell had received any formal flight training.

“However, investigators learned that Russell was familiar with the checklist of actions for starting an airplane,” according to the FBI’s statement. “Investigators were also aware of internet searches Russell performed for flight instructional videos. Investigators did not uncover any conclusive evidence to suggest further, informal flight training.”

As a ramp agent, Russell was a properly credentialed employee of Horizon Air and “did not appear to have violated any security measures or protocols until the theft of the plane,” the FBI found. “As part of his responsibilities as a ground-crew member, Russell had knowledge regarding the operation of the aircraft’s auxiliary power unit (APU) and familiarity with tow equipment and maneuvering.”

Described by friends as a quiet, friendly jokester, Russell worked for Horizon for nearly four years as a ground agent who handled baggage and tidied and de-iced planes. At times, he shared complaints with colleagues about their grueling work and low pay.

“I never thought I would work as a ground service agent,” Russell wrote in one social-media posting. “It seemed like such miserable work and I never could imagine why anyone would want to subject themselves to all the constant noise, gas fumes, and heavy lifting … I would like to dedicate this blog to the life of a ‘ramper’ and highlight the remarkable contrast between our work and rest.”

not saying for this event.
but on other drone"reports". how many unconfirmed sightings (is it possable to be a pilot error and not a drone as he said) are fake, done up by people just trying to impose there way on others?
this has been done in other hobby's, for personal gain. or forcing a way of life on others.

but yes if something like this is done. hang them by there soft spots on hooks outside in the weather. with a sign on then saying why.

I drive a car for recreational reasons, and I'm afraid that cars will be banned from everywhere in the planet, because there are some idiots driving irresponsibly.

And after this drone incident, I'm afraid that airports will become NFZ.

I'll start collecting stamps. Is it a safe hobby, or they will ban stamps too?

yes the glue could possably make you sick.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair