DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another learning experience

A.O.

Reactions
MA2 a week old

So I took off by my house today , then I went down to the dock on my pond (elevation change not sure how much) Had to go over trees to get there then back down over the pond. It got down to maybe 30- 40 feet above the pond and then it would not go any lower. Weird I thought. Tried again to hold the stick to go down and then I heard LANDING...AHHHHHHHH!! was quick enough to push the stick forward and gain altitude again!! Dang my first big scary!! There was only water below the drone when that happened!!
Another successful flight, no crash, and no ditching into the pond!!!! YAY!

Are you sure your were clear of the trees?
It might be an interesting experiment to take it up to say 150ft or so, over land, and then close the throttle and take note of the height at which the drone starts to automatically slow its descent. Keep the throttle closed until about 8ft off the ground or maybe less if the descent really slows down as it gets close to the ground.

Are you sure your were clear of the trees?
It might be an interesting experiment to take it up to say 150ft or so, over land, and then close the throttle and take note of the height at which the drone starts to automatically slow its descent. Keep the throttle closed until about 8ft off the ground or maybe less if the descent really slows down as it gets close to the ground.
Yes from my take off position I flew to 150 feet to avoid the trees. The altitude was 16 feet when it stopped its descent above the pond.

MA2 a week old

So I took off by my house today , then I went down to the dock on my pond (elevation change not sure how much) Had to go over trees to get there then back down over the pond. It got down to maybe 30- 40 feet above the pond and then it would not go any lower. Weird I thought. Tried again to hold the stick to go down and then I heard LANDING...AHHHHHHHH!! was quick enough to push the stick forward and gain altitude again!! Dang my first big scary!! There was only water below the drone when that happened!!
Another successful flight, no crash, and no ditching into the pond!!!! YAY!
Normal...would say you have 30-40 foot of elevation change then down to the pond? It thought it was at landing altitude ..when you hold down stick that puts it in auto land mode. Just remain calm and throttle out of auto landing...I seem to remember that you were told to take baby steps and fly in a open field...and OH NO! There you are being a rebel and flying it over water in your first week..tsk..tsk. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O.
Glad you could save it. Water always scares me. Too many stories of sensors not working the same as with land.

Normal...would say you have 30-40 foot of elevation change then down to the pond? It thought it was at landing altitude ..when you hold down stick that puts it in auto land mode. Just remain calm and throttle out of auto landing...I seem to remember that you were told to take baby steps and fly in a open field...and OH NO! There you are being a rebel and flying it over water in your first week..tsk..tsk. :p
I didn't think that much elevation change but its deceptive. And that's just what it did.. kept (relatively) calm and throttled up up and away!!! WHOOHOO!
Now I ask you... do you do EVERYTHING you are told? well do you? :) And I was going to argue that it was a week and a day, but alas.. it as been exactly a week today, dang! And yes I probably got a little rebel in me, sorry...

Glad you could save it. Water always scares me. Too many stories of sensors not working the same as with land.
I got a bit lucky as the drone was pretty high above the water, gave me time to think on what to do. and thanks.

I fly over water quite often, I find no difference in performance, just stay the proper distance above it, 7 or 8 feet no problem.271A68DA-6C44-4FFD-9A73-B6BBDFBA7263_1_201_a.jpeg488C58DC-52F5-4F43-9395-FCB5B0F61AEB_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: A.O.
Unless there was an obstacle under it, it should not go into landing mode. The AGL should just read minus in feet if the elevation dropped. You can fly off a mountain and down and it doesn't try to land. He said he was high above the water.

I fly over water quite often, I find no difference in performance, just stay the proper distance above it, 7 or 8 feet no problem.View attachment 118027View attachment 118028
I understand. But sensors are funny things and read different situations differently. Too many stories of "water landings" even though all DJI drones have bottom sensors.

I had an interesting situation two nights ago. I was flying my M2P at night from my driveway. I hit RTH, and as it should it came all the way back. I purposely wanted it to auto-land as I was curious as to how close to the exact launch point it would land. I usually interrupt the landing when RTH brings it in close. When it got low enough the bottom spot light came on. But when it was about 3 ft off the ground it would not land. I don't recall the exact wording, but it indicated that it could not land and suggested (?) a "forced landing". I assume it was the textureless cement of the driveway that made it unsure of where it was and wouldn't let it auto-land on RTH. I guess that's a good thing.

I understand. But sensors are funny things and read different situations differently. Too many stories of "water landings" even though all DJI drones have bottom sensors.

I had an interesting situation two nights ago. I was flying my M2P at night from my driveway. I hit RTH, and as it should it came all the way back. I purposely wanted it to auto-land as I was curious as to how close to the exact launch point it would land. I usually interrupt the landing when RTH brings it in close. When it got low enough the bottom spot light came on. But when it was about 3 ft off the ground it would not land. I don't recall the exact wording, but it indicated that it could not land and suggested (?) a "forced landing". I assume it was the textureless cement of the driveway that made it unsure of where it was and wouldn't let it auto-land on RTH. I guess that's a good thing.
That would be a good thing. Phantomrain supplies floatation devices and land on water all the time. What readings do they get as they come down I wonder? That should be able to answer the question about water and sensors. If they block them off we wouldn't know.

That would be a good thing. Phantomrain supplies floatation devices and land on water all the time. What readings do they get as they come down I wonder? That should be able to answer the question about water and sensors. If they block them off we wouldn't know.
One day when I have some extra cash on hand I'll get one of their packages. If Phantomrain wants to move some product, perhaps a Cyber-Monday special on the wetsuit and rescue jacket package? Just a thought :).

U
Unless there was an obstacle under it, it should not go into landing mode. The AGL should just read minus in feet if the elevation dropped. You can fly off a mountain and down and it doesn't try to land. He said he was high above the water.
Yes, I'm guestimating but 20 ish feet above the water... and it said loud and clear... LANDING

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000