DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another newbie question,DJI Go 3 or 4

w8tfi

Reactions
Hello everyone,
I see that there are different DJI Go App's, but what is the difference between the two. I have a Mavic Air and I would love to use a Samsung tablet with my controller. I thought that I could install the DJI Go 3 on my tab let, because I don't see any live streaming with the DJI Go 4 and I know that it is the tablet not handling the feed. So I guess my question is: if I can install the DJI Go 3 on my Samsung tab E will it work?
Thank you for all the help, you guys are Great.
Brian

if I can install the DJI Go 3 on my Samsung tab E will it work?
No. The Mavic Air can only be used with DJI GO 4.

Thank you msinger,
Not the answer I was hoping for but have to be told the truth. is there a way I can get the Samsung Tab E to work or is it JUST not going to work at all.

Thanks for the help
Brian

I've had nothing but problems with the Tab E when I used it with my Phantom 3 and my M2Z.
Something on that tablet blocks the app from grabbing the USB. Rebooting the tablet after you connect the controller and AC, and set the Go 4 app to always be used when controller sensed.
Best uninstall Go3, and since airmap can also pilot DJI, uninstall that too. Then maybe you have a chance.

Even when I had a connection, app would crash or disconnect. If that happened, back to rebooting.

Bought a used (refurbed) Tab S3, much better. Still get app crashes, but at least it connects!

Thanks DanMan32 & msinger for the help,
I have tried the step-by-step instructions with my Tab 3, but no joy. So I guess I will have to wait until I find something I can afford or just be happy with the cell phone I am using.
Again many thanks for the help
Brian

I picked up a used Google Nexus 7 gen 2 tablet on Ebay for 65 bucks... So far it's worked pretty much perfectly, right out of the gate. There's been maybe 3 times where the feed got just a tiny bit jittery for about a second, but that's the worst I've seen. No crashes, no disconnects. And it just so barely fits in the RC, about the same as the IPad 4 Mini.

BearSwartz,
First a question: are you using DJI go 4,current version?
Thank you for the reply, I am looking at that tablet on ebay now and deciding to buy or not, just don't want to be stuck with a tablet I can't use and will have to re-sell, because I have a couple of tablets not. But thank you for letting me know that this one does work and will barley fits lit the Ipad 4 Mini.
Brian

Last edited:
BearSwartz,
First a question: are you using DJI go 4,current version?
Thank you for the reply, I am looking at that tablet on ebay now and deciding to buy or not, just don't want to be stuck with a tablet I can't use and will have to re-sell, because I have a couple of tablets not. But thank you for letting me know that this one does work and will barley fits lit the Ipad 4 Mini.
Brian
Yes I'm using the current version. This is my first experience with a drone, and compared to what I see some guys go through it has been painless. I DID follow the directions as far as updating firmware on the AC, etc. I had set the drone up and flew the first few flights with my Samsung S7 edge, also running the latest version. Then when the Nexus came, I took a few minutes to disable any app I could that I wouldn't need, went to the app store and downloaded DJI 4, and UAV Forecast. Hooked it up and away we flew. No bugs or issues. Have maybe a few dozen flights so far with the Nexus... So far so good. One thing, if you get one, make sure you get the gen 2 version, I don't think the gen 1 would run DJI4 without freezing

The seller I purchased from is goodcomputerguy381, and he has sold 80 some of these units. $64.50. Tablet looks like new, and battery seems to hold a charge very well.

BearSwartz,
Thanks for the input, my best friend thaat I was talking to last night told me he had a Nexus 7 2nd Gen that he would give me all I have to do is replace the battery, so I think I'm in good shape for now. he works near me so I will be trying to set it up today and will let you know how this work out.
Again thank you for your help.
Brian

Reactions: BearSwartz
Update:
My friend brought me the Nexus 7 Tablet tonight and I was able to install DJI Go 4 on it:p and tested it, it works great. so now all is happy in my little Kingdom:D, not sure about the battery just yet :confused:as I am charging it over night and will test how long it last ( i ordered a new one anyway).
Thank you to everyone that helped me with this.
Brian

Update:
My friend brought me the Nexus 7 Tablet tonight and I was able to install DJI Go 4 on it:p and tested it, it works great. so now all is happy in my little Kingdom:D, not sure about the battery just yet :confused:as I am charging it over night and will test how long it last ( i ordered a new one anyway).
Thank you to everyone that helped me with this.
Brian
Glad to hear it! I was concerned about the battery on my Nexus when the screen is on for a long time. Not sure if it's good or bad, but the RC charges the tablet when they're both powered on. I've never seen the battery on the nexus drop from 100% while I'm flying. So the controller is powering it. Three flights in a row and some messing around with settings only dropped the controller battery to 58% so I don't think I'll have a issue ever. I do wish there was a way to keep the controller from charging the tablet... If ya figure that out would ya let me know?

BearSwartz,
I have a idea on how to keep the controller from charging the tablet, but I am going to have to try my idea out first before I can prove it and It shouldn't be a hard modification for anyone that wants to do it.
Brian

Reactions: BearSwartz
BearSwartz,
I have a idea on how to keep the controller from charging the tablet, but I am going to have to try my idea out first before I can prove it and It shouldn't be a hard modification for anyone that wants to do it.
Brian
I'm curious what you're trying. I've seen threads where guys tried cutting the 5v power wire in the cord, but they say that disconnects the app as well. I did find an app for Android that disables the charging, but it only works on rooted devices. I don't know much about rooting, but I was considering trying it, until I ran across a post on the DJI forum from a guy with a Nexus 7 who did it, and the app only turned off the charging 2 out of 20 attempts. Need to learn more about how it works. Seems it should be simple to have a button in the GO4 app that toggles the charger on/off. Guessing if it was that simple they would have done it already. So far it's really a non issue, since I can fly 3 batteries without my controller going dead. Got another battery and a 6way simultaneous charger coming, so it may become an issue if I really get to flying. Maybe just adding a power bank is the KISS solution...

BearSwartz,
Well you right, I was thinking about removing the power in the cable, but now that you told me it has been done and that the App shuts down it more than I thought. There must be some in the software ware that when it see the something connected to the controller. So I guess my Idea has already been tried.
Thanks for letting me know.
Brian

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King