DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another reason to leave iOS and pick up a wonderphone

Dan

Reactions
Can someone say class action lawsuit for apple....

Geekbench developer links iPhone performance issues to battery age and iOS updates

I've been on an iPhone since the beginning but this article pissed me off. My current iPhone 6 Plus always seemed to be getting slower and slower for the past year that using it with DJI GO 4 has been hit and miss. Now it makes sense why some people experience performance issues and others do not....

If it wasn't for the fact that I am such an apple fan boy (apple tv, iPad, Mac's, etc...) I would make the android phone my permanent phone....

We'll it's another reason to use the wonderphone as my permanent phone for the Mavic

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
OS upgrades are complex processes, people generally go 2 to 3 generations of iOS in typical ownership of their devices especially iPhones. How many try to wipe the phone completely and install new OS from scratch?

If you have owned a PC and upgraded windows OS you can tell the performance difference between fresh build versus an upgrade.

I had done this with my iPad 2 and it made noticeable difference a few years back when it was still supported.

OS upgrades are complex processes, people generally go 2 to 3 generations of iOS in typical ownership of their devices especially iPhones. How many try to wipe the phone completely and install new OS from scratch?

If you have owned a PC and upgraded windows OS you can tell the performance difference between fresh build versus an upgrade.

I had done this with my iPad 2 and it made noticeable difference a few years back when it was still supported.
If you read the article, that's not the issue being discussed.

If you read the article, that's not the issue being discussed.

Correct, it all has to do with Apple purposely sand bagging the CPU performance on the iPhones as the battery starts to degrade. They should of made the iPhones with a user replaceable battery...

To me the article looks purely speculative with no evidence provided.

Not saying it can't be true, just that It take it with a pinch of salt.

Replacing a battery in an iPhone is pretty cheap and simple. As well as replacing a cracked screen. Way easier and cheaper than the screen replacement on a Samsung s7 edge

Not really surprised by this article really, always noticed performance issues when I newer device comes out and my current one ages, as said above it’s a shame they don’t allow user to replace battery, obviously because they want us to upgrade all the time...

Reactions: forumboy007
Correct, it all has to do with Apple purposely sand bagging the CPU performance on the iPhones as the battery starts to degrade. They should of made the iPhones with a user replaceable battery...
There's no way Apple will allow users to replace their own battery that easily. People would buy the cheapest battery they could find, and it could lead to so many potential problems. Then they'd blame Apple if their iPhone batteries blow up. It was bad enough that people buy cheap chargers, causing fire, and Apple had to deal with the PR over that.
It's like buying cheap knock-off props for your $1000+ mavic.
And if the article is true, others will conduct their own tests, and hopefully Apple will quietly fix this 'feature', so the problem goes away.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Here's another link where Apple admits slowing older phones - Apple admits slowing older iPhones because of flagging batteries

This comment on macrumors summarizes this well:

"I'm a big Apple fan, but this is a bit shady, if only because it took people digging this up to get them to admit it.

The problem with them not saying anything about it is this scenario:

1. iPhone battery degrades after 1.5 years. iPhone slows down.
2. This user notices the phone is really slow, but they don't notice a battery issue. In their mind they need a newer, faster phone to fix it.
3. They buy a new iPhone and things are fine, for now.

The issue is that by not disclosing this, and by throttling versus letting the battery degradation become apparent, they are misleading people into a $700 upgrade rather than a $100 repair.

Apple needs to disclose this information in software now that they have been outed, showing info like battery cycles and whether performance is being throttled in the battery settings menu."

Reactions: guest1231
Apple should've been up-front about it. It was either throttling, or let the battery voltage drop to the point the iPhone just shuts off. They opt for the former than the latter, and made it a 'feature' so users dont think about it. I know my iPhone 7 battery % can drop from 30% to 20% within a few minutes. I think they over did the software. I suspect that it might actually be the cause of the DJI Go 4 app crashing a while back, where the crashing problem was 'fixed' when iOS 11.2 was released. iOS maybe detected the Go app causing too much power draw, and it was better to just shut it down. But left users wondering why some of their apps kept crashing.
I think no one would've noticed too much if they didn't over did the throttling that users noticed such a drop in performance.

If you change the battery out, will the software recognize it and stop throttling it? Assuming the phone sees a healthy new battery??

If you change the battery out, will the software recognize it and stop throttling it? Assuming the phone sees a healthy new battery??
Yes, changing out the battery appears to fix the problem.

Also, apparently Apple is now facing a slew of lawsuits in different states.

Only if you scan the receipt from apple genius bar confirming that you put $$$ in apples pocket. :D

Seriously, though, these c(r)ooks should be sued out of existence.

1awn93.jpg

Reactions: Scobo and timmy1909
I recently factory reset my 2+ year old iPhone 6s Plus and it has been blisteringly fast, noticeably faster than a friend's 1 year old iPhone 7. Try to factory reset and see if you get similar results :)

Reactions: LmLphx and coop64
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom