DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another RTH question

Bluesman

Reactions
Should RTH only be used when really needed or is it meant to be used whenever I want to return to my starting point?

it can be used when you need it, eg lose sight of it ,and dont know the area ,too many people about for it to be safe to fly , weather turns bad suddenly ,but its there so use it when you want

Reactions: Thomas B
But make sure you read up on it and know its limitations and how it works. (especially close to you.)

But make sure you read up on it and know its limitations and how it works. (especially close to you.)
as he says but I'd always want to bring it back manually unless there was a reason ...

I pretty much use RTH all the time. Don't tell anyone but I lose sight of mine 100' away because of the big trees at my place. Shh

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
RTH is a great function as sometimes it is too easy to lose sight of your drone agains a dark background such as a hillside, doesn't need to be too far away for that to happen so just use it to get it in sight again. You just need to look at your controller screen for a second to lose sight though you know where it is generally or should do.

Should RTH only be used when really needed or is it meant to be used whenever I want to return to my starting point?
You should use it whenever you'd like. However, like when using any automated flight feature, you should know they aren't failproof, understand how they work, and understand how to manually take over if needed.

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
Am I the only one that literally never uses RTH? if I do loose visual line of site, the map in the bottom corner, tells me what direction its facing in.

i think its a good backup feature if the controller, or phone run out of battery, or loss of signal.

I try as hard as I can to maintain line of sight of my drone. But try as hard as I may, if I fly behind trees or farther than my ability to see where the drone is, I absolutely use RTH. Thank goodness for it!!! I have been shortening my distances as I become more conservative in my flying. For me RTH is a lifesaver. Also, since I believe that I only need 3-5 seconds max for my video clips, that long flights are boring to the audience. Also, I cannot prevent myself from checking my screen and when I look up, the drone is gone. So far, RTH has saved my drone to fly another day.

So in summary, I am a frequent user of RTH. It is not a macho thing with me. It is all about getting my shot and getting my drone safely back to me.

Be sure to check your home point after lift off and check for good GPS lock when you initiate RTH. I have found RTH is a good method of demonstrating drone technology to uninitiated friends. Look Ma, no hands!

Thanks for the replies. I will have to read up on how to abort the RTH if ever needed. I also will continue to bring it home manually whenever possible

Strangely enough - when you think you really need RTH is usually the worst time to use it!
I say that because the wind is probably high and your Mavic is being blown away from you ... If you hit RTH at that time, you'll make it pop up into faster air, and it will just head away from you at a faster rate! As mentioned above, learn it's limitations and set the RTH height parameters to suit each time you fly. Keep the RTH height as low as you need to clear the highest obstacles around your flying site, and if you find yourself down-wind and having difficulty getting your drone back, drop as low as you can and hedge-hop back to keep the Mavic in the slowest air ...

when the drone gets in fornt of a tree line , it can be difficult to see. so rth can be a god send

when the drone gets in fornt of a tree line , it can be difficult to see. so rth can be a god send
another god send in that situation,is to just yaw the drone till the arrow on the map is facing to the home point, and just fly back till you see it again,there is nothing wrong using RTH but it is not the be all and end all,for getting your drone back home,learn to fly it back manually, and then you will be prepared for that unexpected event when it is unable to make it back in RTH mode,how you use the RTH feature is down to individual preference ,but if it has been activated because of an issue with connection or low battery then it can not guarantee a safe return in every case

Reactions: scoble08
I try not to use RTH unless I really need to. The main reason is that it may go up in altitude and into stronger wind. That being said, I always check the wind at different altitudes before flight and and the direction of the wind relative to my planned flight and adjust my flight distance based on wind direction.

Nothing wrong with using RTH once you are aware of potential obstacles. Anyone who can fly a drone can easily do manual or RTH.
Recommend flying out against the wind and return with it whenever possible.

Reactions: Bazzerp
I think it is better to learn RTH manually. Especially since one day there may be a lot of wind and you need to set the Sport mode to overcome the gusts of wind.

I usually fly home manually. But periodically I use RTH just to test it and to get used to it so that when an emergency comes I'll be more comfortable with it

I was flying in my backyard, mainly getting use ti the MA when I bought it. Was out about 100 ft or so & about 60 high. I hit RTH & the Air turned around & headed home, the height was set to 70 ft as that cleared any trees around. It flew back past it take off point & proceeded to try & land on the roof of the house. I then got the message that the roof wasn’t suitable for landing. I aborted RTH & landed it. I’ve used RTH since & it worked fine. When I take off I normally hover over the take off point for about 30 secs before flying off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1