DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another UK Newbie

I certainly will get it in writing.

Since Christmas, and the influx on Drone purchases for Christmas presents etc, Insurers everywhere raced to get their policies changed to exclude drones, apart from Aviva (apparently), maybe this was a deliberate ploy on their behalf.

I think they will still say they insure drones BUT not when flying.

Reactions: RaRaRasputin
Will confirm later when mrs RaRa gets back from work :)

If you had to make a claim on your home insurance, how much would your policy premiums be increased by for the next five years? (as I guess you have to declare any previous claims to new insurers)

Is it cost effective enough?

That is certainly another consideration.

It seems to be a veritable minefield to insure UAVs whilst in use, especially where loss is concerned (e.g. fly-aways, unexpected collisions [bird attacks etc], etc).

I emailed aviva before i bought my mavic pro regarding drone cover, here's the response i received...

Dear Wesley

Thanks for your email.

Provided the drone is pedestrian controlled (e.g remote controlled), they are automatically covered under the personal belongings section of our polices. These only need to be specified if they exceed £2000

Personal Liability under the Contents section automatically provides legal liability for damage or injury caused by these items.

The Civil Aviation Authority has regulations in place for drones (or UAV’s - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles), which you should comply with. If you require further information regarding these regulations, please refer to the civil aviation authority website which is www.caa.co.uk.

If the drone is carrying attachments, for example a camera this would be classed as a separate item and would therefore need to be covered under the relevant section. For example if a camera has been attached this would be covered under unspecified personal belongings and would only need to be specified if over the single article limit as above or used for business use.

Business use requests will be considered on a case by case basis. This would need to be referred to our underwriters.

Any other queries, please don't hesitate to contact me or one of the team again.

Regards,

David

E-Comm Customer Advisor

Aviva Insurance

I'm now insured with Aviva ;)

I'm now insured with Aviva ;)

Any idea what happens at renewal, if you've made a claim?

The only thing putting me off the whole Aviva thing is the cost of my house insurance premiums in the years thereafter?

Naturally, after any claim, your premium will increase, that's a given. However, what price do you put on piece of mind. I'm still no less careful when I Fly, and hopefully I won't need to claim.

Reactions: Mike357
Only problem I see is that back me up only provide cover if you are under 50, no use for us older people who love flying!

Says drone insurance but doesn't list a drone in the drop down.

Can be added to the camera equipment category.

@Mike357 That Age Limit only applies to their Core Cover cover - The Flexi Cover is ageless

Thread - Back Me Up

If any of you want to try the insurance, you can get £5 off by quoting POWERS074 as a referral code when signing up.
* Full transparency, I will also get £5 off

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike357
Hello, I from Brazil and going to visit UK and I would like to carry my mavic.

What I need to know?

Do I need any permission to fly?

How could I know where I can fly? Could I fly over Stonehenge or at least fly near there?

What about the customs at the airport? Could I have a problem because I bought the mavic in Brazil?

Thank you.

Daniel

No permission needed for normal flying in non no-fly zones

Grab the Airmap app to check where the non-fly zones are.

It seems Stonehenge is close to an airport, so it doesn't look like you will be able to fly there. But it is on the edge of the no-fly zone, so could possibly fly near there.

You shouldn't have a problem with travelling through airports. The drone will be treated similar to a camera device. You may be asked to power it on. Make sure batteries are discharged to around 50% though.

House insurance due for renewal at end of month, contacted my insurance broker who spoke to current insurer and Aviva, current won't cover the drone, Aviva say drone covered if value is below £2000, even when in use. Needless to say I've switched to Aviva, even saved a few pounds as they're a little cheaper wayyy[emoji41]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89