DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another UK Newbie

RaRaRasputin

Reactions
Hi Guys and Dolls :)

Just checking in to say Hi from just outside Birmingham.

New to UAV's, been hovering over getting one for some time now, finally pushed the button.

Mavic Pro Fly More bundle should be here in time for the weekend, hoping the weather picks up.

After a month or so of figuring out how to fly safely, locally, I should be able to get out and about to meet up with likeminded UAV pilots

--
I have been browsing these forums unregistered and recently registered to garner as much info as possible for when I receive my Mavic.

Have opted to not go with the DJI Care Refresh plan, but instead, get Theft/Acc.D insurance from Photoguard and Liability Insurance from FPV

Hoping I have done the right thing :)

Looking forward to bombarding everyone with a zillion questions and helping out where I can in response to questions by others on topics that I actually know something about (photography, editing, anything internet related, etc).

You might be covered for theft on your house contents policy...I am.

I've ordered a Fly More Combo too.....might be next week before I get mine.

I'm in the North West.

Does photoguard cover accidental damage WHILST IN USE?
I ask because I have accidental damage cover on my house contents policy but not whilst in use.

I can't decide whether to go Care Refresh or not...

ILD

Alas my home insurance is basic and does not cover much if anything outside the house.

Here is part of the Photoguard policy referring to Accidental Damage

1b. Accidental damage to Your Property Insured (Section 2.2 in Your Policy Wording unless otherwise stated) Cover applies to Your Property Insured when at the Insured Location, away from the Insured Location or in a vehicle anywhere in the United Kingdom and up to 20 days Worldwide during any one Period Of Insurance.

Significant Exclusions
• The Excess as shown on Your Insurance Schedule which will be as follows unless otherwise stated by Endorsement: The first £50 of every claim arising from accidental damage, unless You have chosen an additional voluntary Excess and this is shown on Your Insurance Schedule
• Accidental damage when in a vehicle unless the Property Insured is in a purpose designed Equipment Case
• Accidental damage to a drone or Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) where the total Value, including any attached Property Insured, is in excess of £2,000
• Claims arising out of or in connection with the use of a drone or Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for business or commercial purposes.
• Depreciation on Laptops and Laptop Accessories over 18 months old
• Accidental damage to mobile phones, smartphones or e-books
Accidental damage when the Property Insured is Unattended
• Claims arising out of or in connection with the activities of a Professional Photographer
• Any claim where Evidence Of Ownership of the Property Insured has not been provided (Section 4)

From that I believe accidental damage is covered when it is in use. The only grey point being what I marked in red.

Yeah I can see your concern...but is it unattended if you are using it? I don't think so.

That's my thinking also, so should be good to go with that.

Yeah...of course, if you damage one accidentally with dji refresh, it means a replacement would cost a total of 99+79

How much was the premium on your policy?

Reactions: Ozparissky
£30 for the year - Will purchase tomorrow unless any further replies put me off ;-)

£15 for the liability with FPV

No brainer really

Reactions: Ted903
My professional photo insurance will only cover the drone when it's in my bag. As soon as it's in the air the insurance won't cover it.

I don't know who does cover you if you don't have a CAA licence. I think this is the major problem - you can't get insured for flying until you get your certifications. I could be totally wrong though.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I think it is going to be the best I will be able to achieve being a hobbyist.

Obviously doesn't cover loss (fly-aways), but:

theft √
acidental damage √
£5 mil public liability insurance from FPV √

For loss reduction I guess some form of GPS tracking device.

However, for the time being I will definitely be flying LOS and not over water or other inaccessible areas.

Welcome mate!

I've been a Mavic Pilot in the North West for two weeks now and I absolutely LOVE it.

I am seriously hooked already :)

Reactions: RaRaRasputin
Had an email from DPD - It will be with me tomorrow - Please don’t rain at the weekend - haha

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I have a helipad, landing gear and a 32gig mini SD card sitting here waiting for the Mavic's arrival - Got to wait until next week for some ND Filters.

Spent way too long trying to get specific insurance for it from 3rd party drone insurers, so just talked my wife in to swapping the home insurance to Aviva; the drone will then be covered for accidental damage/loss/theft and public liability.

I might take another look at Aviva. I have just renewed my house insurance so Imay be tied in due to penalties.

Do you know what the excess is on the Aviva policy?

Are these policies covering the drone when it's being flown? I'd be surprised if they did.

@I_Like_Drones - I think the excess is £100

@inkytog - Take a look at this: drone insurance

I am very hesitant to believe that home insurance will cover the drone in the air. I think the telesales advisors are likely just reading policy that isn't specific to drones.

It's a real grey area. That thread on PhantomPilots suggests lying about how your drone gets broken. Not massively ethical.

I really would urge caution with this. I am pretty certain the major insurers do not have drone in flight cover. The rest is just personal possessions cover but NOT when the drone is in the air (not being held and off the ground).

My pro photo and video insurance is underwritten by I think London Victoria and they don't cover 'in flight'.

Please check this and get it in writing from the underwriting department before you commit.

Reactions: RaRaRasputin
I certainly will get it in writing.

Since Christmas, and the influx on Drone purchases for Christmas presents etc, Insurers everywhere raced to get their policies changed to exclude drones, apart from Aviva (apparently), maybe this was a deliberate ploy on their behalf.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM