DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anxious about my first contact with fresh new MP - 10 days to takeoff!!

nikkolaa

Reactions
Hello guys,

I purchased a new MP /first Drone ever/ few weeks ago but have still to wait until Christmas to wrap it off,..

Anyway, I've been looking to this forum since, and I'm so restless but also a bit anxious to be honest despite all good info provided over there, about this maiden flight and subsequently the robustness of communication links for further ones.

Besides all basic and empirical rules to be applied before even switching on anything - normal work for newbie I'd say - my concern is about the compatibility hardware/software to guarantee low reaction time of upcoming commands and stability of signals coming back down

What I've retained so far :

1- MP setting up at home with a good internet connection - update might be required

What is the last firmware version?
Is it possible to update only a previous version but known as more stable?

2- registration log into DJI to register the serial number of uas (bar code scan)

Do we need to first register online then apply firmware updates (2-1), or the opposite (1-2)?
I understood the purpose of this log was, besides the identification of owner, to ensure dji that all flying drones were including last firmware with (major) restrictions in comparison to last year versions,

Maybe it is just impossible not to update to very last issue?

3- checklist preflight

During this checklist, in particular this last sequence, is it already possible to detect any defaults in case of ?
A- MP switch on
B- remote control switch on
C- connection MP-remote
D- connection remote - display device
E- dji go app launch and final connection with Drone (live feed)

In case this maiden flight result is not successful, investigation would be necessary..
If step E. cannot be completed it'd be even faster from what I understood so far on this forum.

Configuration:
For now I'll be equipped with androids devices - Xperia X or XA1

Could you please recall what's the best Android OS to go with?

App :
I've seen dji go app is 4.1.18 (suffering several bugs and compatibility issues)

I can't download and install it currently, because I'm too afraid making it definitive without opportunity to roll back

I've seen that in some cases you might have to downgrade to another version of dji Go 4..

What is the procedure to do so?

And in the end, is it a good idea to go for full updating procedures at first?

Thank for those who will read this up to the end,
... And take some time to answer to it hopefully!

Cheers from Paris, France
Nicolas

Reactions: wytnyt
you've done screwed up and left the gimble clamp on,now sending back for repair,,,well hopefully not,,but good check list

Yes, removing the gimbal clamp (not just the cover) should be Step A on your checklist.

Also, firmware updates are not required. Despite what the messages from DJI say, you can simply ignore them. Many here will suggest that you do not update the aircraft firmware until after you fly it for a while to see if you even need/want to.

Another good idea would be to download and read (and then read again) the Mavic manual. Links to the download can be found by searching this forum (Sorry, I don't have the link handy or I would post it here).

You can install an older version of the DJI Go 4 app by downloading the APK file (again, I don't have the link, but it can also be found by searching this site) and install that. Many people suggest 4.1.9, 4.1.14, or 4.1.15.

Good luck and enjoy!

I'd advise that you do not update anything before your first flight. From what I've read, app version 1.15 is good for Android.

You have to put yourself in the frame of mind that you will crash your new drone and dont give a shite. That way you can fly in a more relaxed state of mind and it will be fun. If you lift off and then crap your pants the whole time it really sucks the enjoyment out of it.

In the States we have Statefarm insurance that allows us more peace of mind by offering coverage for the Mavic Pro and I am unsure if there is anything comparable in France.

I'd advise that you do not update anything before your first flight. From what I've read, app version 1.15 is good for Android.
Noted.. Thank you all for your advice and comments,
I'll look through forum to find a link and get this apk file for version 1.15 then!!
+ not updating the uas

BTW, how can we know what's the current firmware installed on the MP at purchasing?

I'm not so afraid about crashing risks, as Murphys laws says, it will happen anyway no? ..

No, I'm more concerned about the fact this first MP flight will take place in parallel of a new P4 maiden flight too (my father's one), but he's equipped with ipad so I just don't want to be the one stuck on ground because of software issues !!!

By the way, shall we expect potential troubles by running them in parallel? , I guess not but who knows with all these EMC wavelengths..

You'll find it is far easier to fly than you expect, so don't get stressed.

Check that the propellers are on properly and move freely. Gimbal lock off (you can put the cover back on if you like). No bits of film over the five cameras, and nothing obstructing the ultrasonics.

As an R/C modeller from years ago I always switch on the transmiiter before the aircraft, but it probably doesn't matter. Fly outdoors in an area with no people or obstructions near.

I use an old piece of plywood with a tape 'H' on it as a launch pad. It stops the blades carching on grass or kicking up sand, and the Mavic can use it as a landmark for Return To Home landings.

The batteries don't like to be too cold, so keep them in the car or an inside pocket until you're ready to go. Then make sure they click into place when you put them in the Mavic.

Wait until the Mavic has locked onto at least about 12 GPS satellites before take off. If you haven't done Radio Control before it may take a while to get the hang of left and right with the Mavic facing towards you. Just practice.

Have fun and report back.

Reactions: MPDronePilot1
Mission North is spot on.
I would also try to find as large of an open field as possible. Do your IMU and Compass calibrations in the field without your cell phone or other metal objects on you. And place the Mavic in Beginner mode for your first flights.
This will limit the distance and altitude the Mav can travel. It will clearly prompt you for this option during initial setup and it can easily be turned off when you have become a bit more comfortable with the aircraft, RC controls, and Go 4 app.

Most import “Relax” you got this man! Let us know how it goes.

Do not take off near any large metal objects like a vehicle. I have done so and thought I would be fine. Mavic went up and then took a radical left and bumped into a truck hitch. I was like WTF!

Then it dawned on me that I was too close to a large hunk of metal.

Also , take off at first and just let off the sticks. The Mavic should hang perfectly in space in front of you and then you can determine if anything is out of the ordinary . Rather than shooting up to 400 feet AGL and then finding out something is just not quite right.

Noted.. Thank you all for your advice and comments,
I'll look through forum to find a link and get this apk file for version 1.15 then!!
+ not updating the uas

BTW, how can we know what's the current firmware installed on the MP at purchasing?

I'm not so afraid about crashing risks, as Murphys laws says, it will happen anyway no? ..

No, I'm more concerned about the fact this first MP flight will take place in parallel of a new P4 maiden flight too (my father's one), but he's equipped with ipad so I just don't want to be the one stuck on ground because of software issues !!!

By the way, shall we expect potential troubles by running them in parallel? , I guess not but who knows with all these EMC wavelengths..

DJI GO 4--For drones since P4 4.1.15 APK Download by DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD - APKMirror

I've never had any problems flying alongside others.

I wouldn't recommend doing the IMU Calibration if it's not required.

You can see which FW you're on within the app menus

Thanks, it went fine, just had to install 4.1.18, download the resource file on server, Uninstall then install 4.1.18 with apk

Looking forward to try it!

I'm still waiting for my android device to be delivered. So you can't install straight from that link I posted?

I'm still waiting for my android device to be delivered. So you can't install straight from that link I posted?
When I installed it as advised, the app launch was stuck downloading the resource file, probably because dji deactivated updates from obsolete versions?

I found somewhere that installing the last one, let the server connect to download resource file (maybe something else?), uninstall then install .15 was ok

The app launched perfectly in the end

(BTW- I did not open the box yet, Drone still in its plastic bag... Will it works? Will it blend?.. [emoji3]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242