DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any direct night time comparisons?

davedrone 178

Reactions
Has anyone made a direct comparison of the night time capabilities with the new Air3s compared to the
Air 3? You would think the "S" model would have a clear advantage with it's larger sensor but that's not
always the case. I'd pull the trigger on one if I knew it was a major upgrade over my Air 3 for night time shooting.

Has anyone made a direct comparison of the night time capabilities with the new Air3s compared to the
Air 3? You would think the "S" model would have a clear advantage with it's larger sensor but that's not
always the case. I'd pull the trigger on one if I knew it was a major upgrade over my Air 3 for night time shooting.
That's the claim!

Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
Be wary of the claim it now supports 12800 ISO. As Air 3 owners know, that is the ISO available in Night Mode. All thats changed here is Night Mode was removed, and 12800 ISO is now available in normal shooting. That seems better, and may have some advantages being in normal manual shooting, but it's not "new" specifically. Another off-putting claim is the 27 m/s top speed. That's great, but requires a 6 m/s tailwind. Seriously DJI? They increased maximum tilt by 1° from 35° to 36° but motors are same, so it's speed POTENTIAL. Not Power.

This is from Specs Page:

Max Horizontal Speed
At sea level, in windless conditions:
21 m/s* (46.97 mph, 75.2 kph)

At sea level, with 6 m/s tailwind, while flying in the same direction as the wind:
27 m/s*, 60.397 MPH, 97.2 KPH

Having said all that, I love a good "Refinment" of a platform. My Air 3 is packed and shipping to its new Ebay Owner. I got every penny I spent back, but lost everything I spent on accessories. All told, I'm down $200. About what the Neo cost me. Advanced, Mapped RTH is the coolest thing I've ever seen a DJI do fully autonomous. Last night it came in hot, like 25mph, descending through the trees, took a wide berth around a huge tree I launched from all the way under, near the trunk.

Night Video and Photos are stunning, but no better than Mavic 3 Pro, haven't any comparisons to Air 3 to show. Some have said they weren't impressed, but they were shooting Night Photography, NOT "Low light" - semantics, true, but shots of the City Lights are terrific, but not low light in my opinion. That's bright lights on black Night. Low light is the beach, water, dunes after sunset. Blue Hour is my idea of low light. I think the 3S 24mm equivalent lens is awesome in low light.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PolKrestof