DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any gain to upgrading to iPad mini 5?

Greekislandlover

Reactions
I currently fly my Mavic 2 Zoom with an iPad mini 4. It works just fine as far as I can see. Apple are offering a good trade in for ones working and in good condition, and I was considering the offer.

However, I'm not sure what I would gain right now for the exchange. I do know that my current tablet might have problems screen recording, but I don't do that - nor have any plans to. I am aware it's a much newer processor and so on, but as it works well what is the benefit of upgrading to a mini 5?

I'm not an Apple customer, but the reviews I've read say the mini 5 is a little brighter than the mini 4 - 500 nits instead of 450 nits. Seems like that would be noticeably better in sunlight.

I currently fly my Mavic 2 Zoom with an iPad mini 4. It works just fine as far as I can see. Apple are offering a good trade in for ones working and in good condition, and I was considering the offer.

However, I'm not sure what I would gain right now for the exchange. I do know that my current tablet might have problems screen recording, but I don't do that - nor have any plans to. I am aware it's a much newer processor and so on, but as it works well what is the benefit of upgrading to a mini 5?

I think that if you go back and read your message. You will find out that you answered your own question.

I'm not an Apple customer, but the reviews I've read say the mini 5 is a little brighter than the mini 4 - 500 nits instead of 450 nits. Seems like that would be noticeably better in sunlight.

OK thanks for that. I tend to avoid Apple stuff personally, but the Apple phone work issued me, and the iPad they also issue me (somebody is a fanboi) worked better than my Android devices in that they crashed at awkward moments, and the iDevices didn't. I have been pleased with the Mini 4 to fly the drone though.

I think that if you go back and read your message. You will find out that you answered your own question.

Don't think I did TBH. I am aware that it is newer and faster, but as the existing device works fine what would I gain by splashing the cash?

Apparently the screen may be slightly better in the sun. It would be nice, but I'm not sure that is worth paying a couple of hundred pounds for.

If all you plan to do is use the Mini 4 as a flight monitor, it should work fine. If you wish to have a single solution for that and also video/photo editing, you would be better served with the Mini 5. I use the 10.5" iPad Pro as my flight monitor and editing device. For video, I use the LumaFusion app, and for Raw images files, I use the Affinity Photo app.

If all you plan to do is use the Mini 4 as a flight monitor, it should work fine. If you wish to have a single solution for that and also video/photo editing, you would be better served with the Mini 5. I use the 10.5" iPad Pro as my flight monitor and editing device. For video, I use the LumaFusion app, and for Raw images files, I use the Affinity Photo app.

Thanks, I think that's my answer.

When I get home I always transfer the files to my PC that has automated daily backups. I only delete footage from the card when I know the backup has worked. I do all my editing on my PC with Adobe Premiere Pro, not on the iPad. I do use it to review the footage on site, and that works very well.

I think at this moment in time the money would be better saved towards a Mavic 3, as that's bound to come out at some point.

Reactions: Brockrock
I don't think you'll see any difference whatsoever except for the brightness, and even that won't be much.

I own and use a iPad Mini Gen 5 for my drone. Two days ago I resurrected a friend's iPad Mini Gen 2 which he was using for flying his Mavic Air. Once I had it running again I used it with my Mavic 2 Pro. Despite the significant difference in processor and screen, I was able to see quite easily. Not as huge a difference as I was expecting (it was a sunny day, so I did use a sunshade).

The one difference I did note -- and I did this test specifically to find this out -- is that the processor cannot quite keep the video displaying smoothly when you enable the "follow me" feature. That is "one bridge too far" for that much older processor. The 2 is a 2-core 1.3 GHz processor; your 4 is a 2- core 1.5 GHz; and the 5 is a 6-core 2.39 GHz processor.

However, I doubt very much that you'll notice the difference in processor going from the 4 to the 5, because they both have pretty beefy GPUs, so my advice is to keep the money in your pocket and spend it on something else.

Reactions: Greekislandlover
Speaking of Ipad Mini Gen 5, I have ordered one to use with my MA2 instead of my Iphone which for my old eyes the screen is just a bit too small. My peoblem is finding the correct cable, I see a lot of USB C to ligntning cable on Amazon etc but they all say for charging. I understand a charging cable will not work and it needs to be a data cable. I have not been able to find a data cable for this application that is not at least 3 feet long, I would like one 12" to maybe 18" long. Any one know of a source for this cable? There are some places that sell them like BH but most of them are out of stock.

Speaking of Ipad Mini Gen 5, I have ordered one to use with my MA2 instead of my Iphone which for my old eyes the screen is just a bit too small. My peoblem is finding the correct cable, I see a lot of USB C to ligntning cable on Amazon etc but they all say for charging. I understand a charging cable will not work and it needs to be a data cable. I have not been able to find a data cable for this application that is not at least 3 feet long, I would like one 12" to maybe 18" long. Any one know of a source for this cable? There are some places that sell them like BH but most of them are out of stock.
I have ordered the new IPad mini as well to use with the MA2, just like jsflyrv, I am struggling to find a data cable short enough.

I got mine from ebay. They come in various lengths. I have the short one, and the beauty of it is that the USB connector is reversible.

I got mine from ebay. They come in various lengths. I have the short one, and the beauty of it is that the USB connector is reversible.

Thank you but unfortunately that one will not work with a Mavic air 2 controller it uses the USB C.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661