DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any infrared filter available for Mavic 2 Pro?

My M2Z can see the emissions from my TV remote, but not as bright as my phone camera.
Then again the room doesn't appear as bright.

Your exposure will be far too long to be useful, if you were to use a standard camera with an R72 filter on the lens. Best to just fake it in post with something like Photoshop to get the IR effect you are looking for.
Have I miscalculated the exposure in my reply above?

Have I miscalculated the exposure in my reply above?
The exposure with a standard camera in mid day sun would normally be several seconds to get a good photo with an IR filter. Of course it depends on your film speed. But I was speaking to the OP regarding wanting to shoot from his drone to get IR images. Plus the IR spectrum has a different point of focus than normal light film. Therefore, if you focus in a normal camera and then fit the IR filter and expose your shot, you will not have an in focus image when using IR light. That's why old camera lenses had that red mark on the focus ring to show where you needed to move too, after properly focusing in normal light, after you then screwed in the IR filter, since this was too dark to be able to see to focus.

In the old days, you would set up on a tripod, focus, then put on the filter and then move the focus point to the red mark and that would then have your selected point in focus for an IR exposure. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
The exposure with a standard camera in mid day sun would normally be several seconds to get a good photo with an IR filter. Of course it depends on your film speed. But I was speaking to the OP regarding wanting to shoot from his drone to get IR images. Plus the IR spectrum has a different point of focus than normal light film. Therefore, if you focus in a normal camera and then fit the IR filter and expose your shot, you will not have an in focus image when using IR light. That's why old camera lenses had that red mark on the focus ring to show where you needed to move too, after properly focusing in normal light, after you then screwed in the IR filter, since this was too dark to be able to see to focus.

In the old days, you would set up on a tripod, focus, then put on the filter and then move the focus point to the red mark and that would then have your selected point in focus for an IR exposure. Hope that makes sense.
I think the exposure I calculated was correct.My experience with the R72 is with a mirrorless Olympus.You can focus with the filter on with the live view boost on.I don't believe the R72 causes misfocus on the drone but ICBW.

I think the exposure I calculated was correct.My experience with the R72 is with a mirrorless Olympus.You can focus with the filter on with the live view boost on.I don't believe the R72 causes misfocus on the drone but ICBW.
I can't speak for your camera, I can only tell you that using film day light and a standard slR and lens, daylight has a set focus point. If you left the camera and lens setting fozen at that focus point, when you put an R72 filter on the lens, the IR light is not the same as normal daylight that our eye sees and it does have adifferent point of focus. I am sure all these years the camera makers and lens makers did not choose to put that IR focus point on the lens just for fun and to make it more colourful.

It was there for a reason and any old photographer who may have shot IR or knew enough back in the day, to understand IR photography, will also know that once focused on your subject matter, when you put the IR filter on the lens and everything was locked down, you moved the point of focus showing on your lens, that little bit to one side to line up with the IR lens marking, in order to achieve perfect focus in IR. Maybe do a google search on the subject. When you have a camera converted to a dedicated IR camera, and I have one, you don't need to do that. Plus you can shoot a horse cantering past and freeze it in IR, which was not possible without blur with a normal day light camera, when using an IR filter on the lens. Look through an R72 filter and see just how dark that is, you can not use your normal day light setting for such a filter on a non converted camera.

Here is something on IR photography for you...

Infrared focus marks on lenses​

Many manual focus SLR lenses have a red mark offset a little from the regular, white focus mark – normally a line, diamond or dot – to help the user achieve proper infrared focus. When an infrared filter is attached to a lens, all visible light is blocked making it impossible to compose and focus through the viewfinder. To compose and focus, the infrared passing filter must be removed. When desired focus is achieved, the infrared filter should be reattached. The focus on the lens then has to be turned by the difference between the current visible focus and the infrared focus mark.

As mentioned before, this is because in many lenses infrared light has a different focal point than visible light. Most modern lenses do not include infrared focus marks. Many older zoom lenses had two IR focus marks on them – one for wide and one for the telephoto end. If the photographer were using a focal length between the widest and longest setting, then they would have to guess how far to shift the focus, normally around the middle of the two infrared marks.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89