DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any reasons to keep my Mavic Pro? (Upgraded to Mini 3 Pro)

WingCommander

Reactions
I recently bought a Mini 3 Pro which is great. I especially love the flight times and smaller size.

That being said, I'm still surprised how well the MP1 compares considering it was released 6 years before the Mini 3.

Is there any reason to keep my MP1 other than nostalgia purposes? Does anyone here still often use theirs for things the Mini can't do? (High wind conditions etc.)

Thanks

well i still have my nearly 4 years old MPP and have no plans to sell it,it still flies as good as the day i purchased it
the batteries still take on a full charge ,and its like an old friend ,i would never part with it ,i guess i am just a sentimental old fool ,but i don't really care ,i know for a fact that as soon as i disposed of it ,i would wish i hadn't,

Ditto @old man mavic with still having my M1P, in fact I haven't 'upgraded' at all since, apart from the Spark coming into the picture too.

You might find on a windier day sometime, and you really want to fly / film something, having the M1P on hand might be a good thing too.

The hard thing is flying them relatively often, to keep the batteries in good order etc.
I tend to take the Spark away on trips interstate when flying by plane, other local type flights it's the M1P.

I recently bought a Mini 3 Pro which is great. I especially love the flight times and smaller size.

That being said, I'm still surprised how well the MP1 compares considering it was released 6 years before the Mini 3.

Is there any reason to keep my MP1 other than nostalgia purposes? Does anyone here still often use theirs for things the Mini can't do? (High wind conditions etc.)

Thanks

If like me you reside in a jurisdiction where beyond visual range drone flights are permitted, then your Mavic Pro 1 has the edge over your newer drone in its capability to faithfully complete Litchi waypoint missions EVEN IF signal connectivity between the drone and the controller is interrupted or broken,

Loss of connectivity between drone and controller will trigger an immediate Return To Home default by your newer drone, thus significantly reducing its long-distance potential. Finally, looking at the No Limit Drones website will confirm that far more of the Mavic Pro 1's flight parameters can be modified than is the case with all other DJI offerings.
1663676726159.png

If like me you reside in a jurisdiction where beyond visual range drone flights are permitted, then your Mavic Pro 1 has the edge over your newer drone in its capability to faithfully complete Litchi waypoint missions EVEN IF signal connectivity between the drone and the controller is interrupted or broken,

Loss of connectivity between drone and controller will trigger an immediate Return To Home default by your newer drone, thus significantly reducing its long-distance potential. Finally, looking at the No Limit Drones website will confirm that far more of the Mavic Pro 1's flight parameters can be modified than is the case with all other DJI offerings.
View attachment 154934
I agree with CN. I have 2 of the M1P's and have no thoughts of parting with them. I have the NLD software on both which really frees them up quite a bit. Bottom line, keep your older drone.

Surprised no one mentioned this already. Mavic Pro (1), has waypoint support!
This means if you want to fly a mission with Litchi and capture amazing and planned footage, you CAN. If you want to do some automated mapping, you CAN.
In many ways, this was one of the most capable drones DJI ever made. Oh! and you can record ambient sound with it. I still love the picture quality of this drone.

Thanks
If you can get any money for it, sell it. It is outclassed in every spec by the Mini Pro 3 except it is 4MPH faster and since the SDK has not been released yet for the Mini 3 Pro it supports Litchi. For picture, video, flight time, and low light performance the Mini 3 pro is far better. For wind resistance they are both class 5.

Roll through the spec comparison and ask yourself which feature or capability would make you pick up the Mavic Pro instead of the Mini 3 Pro? and maybe get a lesser quality video or picture?

I have never flown a MP so for me it is just theory but I considered a deeply discounted used Phantom 4 before buying the M3P but never considered a MP at any price.

Reactions: Droniac

View attachment 154934
Is there a list somewhere that shows which DJI drones can do true autonomous flight disconnected from the controller with Litchi? I really miss that from my Anafi but of course it needed it more with a much shorter range. Thanks.

Is there a list somewhere that shows which DJI drones can do true autonomous flight disconnected from the controller with Litchi? I really miss that from my Anafi but of course it needed it more with a much shorter range. Thanks.
Litchi publishes a list of drones that are compatible on their website, however, a good rule of thumb is to bear in mind that most older DJI drones that use DJI Go or DJI Go4 are capable of completing Litchi waypoint missions that extend out beyond the signal reach of the remote controller, while ALL DJI drones operated with DJI Fly will instantly default to RTH whenever signal connectivity between the drone and the controller is lost or interrupted for more than a few seconds.

Thanks
I think you answered your own question imo. Godspeed

well i still have my nearly 4 years old MPP and have no plans to sell it,it still flies as good as the day i purchased it
the batteries still take on a full charge ,and its like an old friend ,i would never part with it ,i guess i am just a sentimental old fool ,but i don't really care ,i know for a fact that as soon as i disposed of it ,i would wish i hadn't,
Old man Mavic, We get older, but sir, you, by far, are no fool! Lol! Godspeed

If you can get any money for it, sell it. It is outclassed in every spec by the Mini Pro 3 except it is 4MPH faster and since the SDK has not been released yet for the Mini 3 Pro it supports Litchi. For picture, video, flight time, and low light performance the Mini 3 pro is far better. For wind resistance they are both class 5.

Roll through the spec comparison and ask yourself which feature or capability would make you pick up the Mavic Pro instead of the Mini 3 Pro? and maybe get a lesser quality video or picture?

I have never flown a MP so for me it is just theory but I considered a deeply discounted used Phantom 4 before buying the M3P but never considered a MP at any price.
Zzzzzz.

Just bought a mavic pro and love it. Had to order 2 batteries for it since the one it had absolutely refused to charge anymore. Batteries came and it flies absolutely perfect.

In my opinion, the Mavic Pro 1 flies far better, easier then the Mini 3 Pro. I like the camera on the M3P, but DJI Go 4 app and the drone itself are superio!

Reactions: Peio64270
Its great to hear that the MP1 still retains Waypoint support. My only concern is battery availability. One of my four batteries swelled recently. :(

While the flight times, camera/video are great, I’m not such a fan of the MP3. It’s:

1. Too small, too light and too fragile. I’m having to send my two month old back to DJI because of gimbal overheating and the camera and video images have degraded greatly. I think this thing is a toy compared to my Phantom, Phantom 2 and Mavic Pro.

2. While the MP3 is very quiet, I’m finding that I know miss hearing my drone letting me know its near. The MP3 is so small that you lose it visually very easily. All light gray body against a blue/white sky?!?! I’m sorry, but just a bad color choice for responsible flying! Oh! But wait! That was the purpose for those that don’t want to get a license!

3. DJI Customer Service is worse then it’s ever been!

• Wow
Reactions: Peio64270
Just bought a mavic pro and love it. Had to order 2 batteries for it since the one it had absolutely refused to charge anymore. Batteries came and it flies absolutely perfect.
please, where did you buy the batteries from, just pulled my old mavic pro from the closet and I'm in need of some new news, thank you in advance

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS