DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any sample DNG files from M3 telephoto out there?

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Do you any wide shots of that area taken with the main M43 camera at ISO100?
I'm travelling and away for a week, but I'll see if I can shoot something suitable in the next few days.

Hi,

I am looking for DNG files to download from the Mavic 3's telephoto camera. Any floating around out there?
I only have cached images atm, but I can tell you the telephoto has decent quality. It does have a weird softening effect especially if you are shooting on a sunny day...almost looks like a filter has been applied. However, if you are only using it to create depth of field (video mode), or for inspections theb I don't think you will mind. It is leaps and bounds ahead of anything you will get with a similarly priced drone.

I only have cached images atm, but I can tell you the telephoto has decent quality. It does have a weird softening effect especially if you are shooting on a sunny day...almost looks like a filter has been applied. However, if you are only using it to create depth of field (video mode), or for inspections theb I don't think you will mind. It is leaps and bounds ahead of anything you will get with a similarly priced drone.

I actually think it is phenomenal in stitched and DXO processed form. I got by far my sharpest drone aerials from it in 3x4 and 4x5 rows souped in Lightroom. That being said, the standard camera on the Mavic 3 Cine that I sent back to DJI for an exchange on Friday was just not good at all, even my Mini 3 Pro was beating it at times in terms of uniformity of sharpness.

I hope the next Mavic 3 I get has a better main camera, then it will truly be a force to be reckoned with for my needs.

Thanks for the link. Why all of those DNG files were shot at ISO400 when the colour noise starts to creep in? Bright daylight. Just wonder??
My mistake .. I usually shoot at ISO 100 but forgot to reset that after some night shooting a few days ago.
I can probably shoot some samples at 100 later today.

Sorry if your that sucessful business as you state 35 years and you wish to have such quality, why are you cheaping out and looking at consumer drones then?
You should have a pretty good indication of what the quality might look like by the sensor sizes, image noise at certain light levels... being in the industry that long. Would you consider using a point an shoot for your fine art photography?

Last edited:
Sorry if your that sucessful business as you state 35 years and you wish to have such quality, why are you cheaping out and looking at consumer drones then?
You should have a pretty good indication of what the quality might look like by the sensor sizes.
It's not just the cost that's involved in putting a bigger sensor camera in the air.
Have you ever seen the physical size of the drone required to lift an SLR?
There are many limitations to the portability and practical use of big drones.

Photography always involves compromises.
Consumer drones are great for ease of use and simple portability.
The images they can produce are fine for many commercial uses.

Reactions: danwnz
It's not just the cost that's involved in putting a bigger sensor camera in the air.
Have you ever seen the physical size of the drone required to lift an SLR?
There are many limitations to the portability and practical use of big drones.

Photography always involves compromises.
Consumer drones are great for ease of use and simple portability.
The images they can produce are fine for many commercial uses.
I held off for ages buying one because of all the issue reported with the Mavic 3 especially the satellite issues, and the small sensor size, but then decided what the hell, since they are so expensive and still have small sensor, and it was the biggest on the market, as a semi professional photographer I bit the bullet on it because this is not my main business.

And yes I was even considering a bigger drone, and doing this more commercially, and may still do this down the track to get better quality images to sell

You should have a pretty good indication of what the quality might look like by the sensor sizes, image noise at certain light levels... being in the industry that long. Would you consider using a point an shoot for your fine art photography?

Sometimes tools ride the bleeding edge of either not going on an outing due to complexity and size or being only just good enough to get the impactful image one might not get otherwise.

In the case of the Mavic 3's telephoto lens, I just wanted to see if it held up to a certain level consistently across the frame and it does. My use of it will be almost always multiple frames stitched to get more along the lines of an equivalent 50-80mm FOV. From what I have got thus far, it is doing that extremely well and ends up being more like 30-40MP to boot. It is also much higher in apparent and real resolution than the main 24mm F2.8 camera in these 30-40MP outputs and with far more interesting compositions.

On that note, I got my replacement Mavic 3 Cine yesterday and I am happy to report that the main camera is well centered and I can now get usable images out of it.

Onward and upward I go...

Last edited:
Can you share again? I am very interested.

I'm looking for sample RAW photos from the main camera and tele camera. I only found one. I would like more for a better comparison.
I don't have those images any more, but here are some might shots if they are useful?

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54