DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any way to restore old unused battery?

shb

Reactions
I have a mavic Platinum that I haven't used in probably 5 years. One battery seems to have some charge in it. When I put it on the drone, and tried to turn it on, a red light temporarily came on in the back of the drone, but then when off. The other battery shows no sign of life at all. I try to charge it but nothing. The first battery blinks 1 light for a while but then stops. I also can't charge the remotes because they take a full sized usb connector on each side, which nobody uses anymore and I can't find one at home.

Reactions: Cafguy
I have a mavic Platinum that I haven't used in probably 5 years.
If you haven't charged/used that battery in 5 years...I think it's gone. You really need to exercise any Lithium-based battery at least a couple times a year (and that's pushing it).

Reactions: shb and Cafguy
SORRY BUT: You have killed your battery. Don't be too mad at yourself- What you are describing is the number one reason for battery death.
When you got your drone it came with some components that need care- The Batteries. Most will charge them up to 100 percent and throw them in a drawer for months- this will kill your battery!
The battery will slowly discharge on its own BUT This discharge is in no way fast enough to prevent damage.
!-DO NOT- try and use a hack like battery killer or even attempt to charge your battery!- It is gone.
Save the battery {uncharged} so that you can have a replacement made from the case. In a few years that's the only way you will be able to keep batteries in it. LASTLY- purchase a new set of batteries and REMEMBER to research the care and feeding of your batteries- Again Sorry BUT for you this one will be a lesson learned.

Reactions: GregE
I really never planned on using that drone again. At least the rc is charging now.

Reminded me to get all of DJI batteries out and charge them too, all are good but yeah the MP1 ones were really empty, only been about 1 year since last charge...

Got it almost on day 1 and it was amazing, but I really have a hard time getting it out again, I do it every year or 2 for the nostalgia but I can't get "fun flying" out of that anymore... what I always wanted for that was what turned out to be the DJI FPV / Avata and I have both, so :D

While I don't have a DJI FPV or avata I too moved into the FPV world and have not looked back BUT the Mavics still come out from time to time. I turned an old Mavic into an analog FPV drone by pulling out all the guts and putting a different stack into it and then {hot gluing} a little runCam on the front -I use the old battery compartment as a place to strap down the 4s Battery. I actually got it tuned in to where it half flys decent BUT Its just gimiky! because lets face it the Mavic frame really isn't a good start in the least for an FPV drone. lol

Well I got the RC full charged. So I guess the RC has a more conventional battery that isn't damaged by non use.

SORRY BUT: You have killed your battery. Don't be too mad at yourself- What you are describing is the number one reason for battery death.
When you got your drone it came with some components that need care- The Batteries. Most will charge them up to 100 percent and throw them in a drawer for months- this will kill your battery!
The battery will slowly discharge on its own BUT This discharge is in no way fast enough to prevent damage.
!-DO NOT- try and use a hack like battery killer or even attempt to charge your battery!- It is gone.
Save the battery {uncharged} so that you can have a replacement made from the case. In a few years that's the only way you will be able to keep batteries in it. LASTLY- purchase a new set of batteries and REMEMBER to research the care and feeding of your batteries- Again Sorry BUT for you this one will be a lesson learned.
do you mean i could replace the cells on a mavic 2 battery??

Sorry BUT due to the inherent dangers of working with these lipos, NO I will not post a link to a tutorial on this forum. I will however tell you that it is an up and coming niche in our hobby and the demand will only grow for the service.
There are tutorials online. BUT Remember!-- Many houses have been sacrificed for the knowledge we have today.
If you would like to research this for yourself My suggestion is start by looking for info on drone hacks specifically DJI Tools and DJI Battery Killer. the rest is up to you.
Just REMEMBER: - LIPO cells are just like little napalm Bombs!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AMann
I found this on YouTube. Seems like a pretty involved process that I would never try. Seems somewhat expensive too. This YouTube channel, We Buy Drones SA, seems to have a lot of good videos.

o_O NOOOO! The Mavic Platinum is a great little drone, no matter the age! at least keep it around for "fun Flying":)
What I failed to mention with my Mavic Platinum, is that I crashed it into the ocean in December 2018. I recovered it, and got it flying again, but the camera/ gimbal didn't work. I bought a replacement camera/gimbal from a local ecommerce place(Lazada) and put it on, but it didn't work properly. So I sent it back and they did give me my money back. I did try flying it with a Sony X3000 action cam strung underneath, but the video was no good. So that's why I stopped flying it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks