DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody using the MM to set throw lines for arborist work?

gemniii

Reactions
I've a LOT of trees and often need to get up throw lines prior to getting up my climbing lines.
I've used just weights, weights and slingshots, weights on LONG (20' poles).
I'm thinking of trying to use my MM to drop a small weight attached to monofilament over branches, then pulling up a heavier line THEN pulling up my climbing line or a bull rope.

Anybody else tried this?

I've a LOT of trees and often need to get up throw lines prior to getting up my climbing lines.
I've used just weights, weights and slingshots, weights on LONG (20' poles).
I'm thinking of trying to use my MM to drop a small weight attached to monofilament over branches, then pulling up a heavier line THEN pulling up my climbing line or a bull rope.

Anybody else tried this?

The Air 2 could handle that task with easy but not the mini.
You could have a flash light and the rope and be ok.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air in the Rain and Float on water.

I agree with Phantomrain. The Mini will struggle with any amount of weight. I tried putting a 4 ounce weight on top of my Mini once to see if it had the power to lift it. It got off the ground but probably would have done better had it been hanging below. The Mini itself is only 9 ounces.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Anybody else tried this?
Was the question.

I realize the lift limit of the mini is about 180 grams/6.3 ounces. linky
I've a Mavic Mini, not an Air 2 or Agras MG-1.

Has anyone tried it? What was used for line? Quick release or drag and drape?

I have flown a mini on a tether and there are two immediately apparent dangers.
1) During a descent the tether not descending as quickly as the drone and fouling the props. I had weighted the tether with distributed paper clips to avoid this.
2) The tether snagging on something, that can result in necessary controller actions/commands that are counter intuitive when panicing lol.
I was contemplating trying this to ultimately get a rope pulled chain saw up into a tree I wished to prune but had concerns about 2) and the accuracy with which I could fly the mini amongst branches etc.
In addition, depending on the tree type etc. there may be twigs etc. that you would be unable to see from the ground and which may be difficult to see via the drone's camera.
Ultimately I worked ladders up the tree in stages

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't remember the poster but seen a vid on youtube of a guy doing this at his home ranch. Bit of trial and error, but he managed it ok.

Not sure I'd recommend- thinking more of the descent as mentioned already above but yes, I've seen it and it can be done!

Can't remember the poster but seen a vid on youtube of a guy doing this at his home ranch. Bit of trial and error, but he managed it ok.

Not sure I'd recommend- thinking more of the descent as mentioned already above but yes, I've seen it and it can be done!
Do you remember if he was using a mini?
I found one post that talked of using a "highwayman's hitch" for a release mechanism while stringing wires for antennas using a Mavic Pro.

I found one post that talked of using a "highwayman's hitch" for a release mechanism while stringing wires for antennas using a Mavic Pro.
Yeah buddy, 100% mini. As the throw rope isn't the big thick one, it handled it well. Obviously not as good as bigger drones would have. I'll try and find a link...

Found it

It's not pretty and not something I'd do, but learn from his mistakes! Think he was lucky coming down, seemed to keep the string between the props!

Just googled this, I know nothing about it but could work https://www.amazon.com/Delivery-Transport-Carrying-Proposal-Compatible/dp/B0879DJ29P

I remember watching a video from 51 drones where he tested the lifting power of various DJI drones. Might look for that.

Yep. I'm hanging antenna wire in 50' -70' trees, MM works good. One or two old lug nuts for a sinker. 50# basic clear monofilament slides across branches better then the fancy braided spectra line, which transfers 550 cord which then pulls 3/8" line. Sort of a three step process. Much more accurate than a slingshot, if you're targeting a branch 70' away.

Yep. I'm hanging antenna wire in 50' -70' trees, MM works good. One or two old lug nuts for a sinker. 50# basic clear monofilament slides across branches better then the fancy braided spectra line, which transfers 550 cord which then pulls 3/8" line. Sort of a three step process. Much more accurate than a slingshot, if you're targeting a branch 70' away.
My thoughts exactly. how do you hook up the mono and sinker? Any quick release method?

My thoughts exactly. how do you hook up the mono and sinker? Any quick release method?
A couple of methods I have played with. I have stretched an elastic band around the body of the mini, one leg at a time then put a loop in the monofilament line and slipped it under the elastic. Try putting the loop say 5 -10 feet above your weight. You then fly the weight up and over and past the limb and then tug on the line to pull the loop out from under the elastic. Play with the length of the loop and elastic tightness to suit your needs.

Another similar method I used playing with dropping a fishing lure, is to attach a plastic picture hanger hook under the mini then tie a slip knot in the mono line again 5 - 10 feet above the weight. If the hook is adjusted/bent to the right angle and facing back to you, fast forward will cause the slip knot to slide off the hook or tug on the line to slip it off.

In both cases the sinker if 5 - 10 feet below the drone will help minimize any pendulum effect and keep out of the way of the bottom sensors. Fly slowl and smooth. You may want to have a very small weight on the other side of the hook to help keep both sides of the line well below the props. To get confidence and for fun, try experimenting indoors, use the prop cage if you have one.

Let us know how you make out whatever method you end up using. Fly safe and enjoy and good luck!

I like the light sensor activated release. The cheap toy "radio transmitter releases" don't have that much range and require a second or third battery that can go flat (for the receiver and transmitter). The release needs to be mounted where the collision sensor can still see the ground, I velcroed the release to the top of the drone so the line drapes over the side between the arms with the sinker suspended two inches below the belly. If the collision sensor sees the sinker suspended two feet below the drone, you lose control of the drone while it tries to climb away from the sinker.

A couple of methods I have played with. I have stretched an elastic band around the body of the mini, one leg at a time then put a loop in the monofilament line and slipped it under the elastic. Try putting the loop say 5 -10 feet above your weight. You then fly the weight up and over and past the limb and then tug on the line to pull the loop out from under the elastic. Play with the length of the loop and elastic tightness to suit your needs.

Another similar method I used playing with dropping a fishing lure, is to attach a plastic picture hanger hook under the mini then tie a slip knot in the mono line again 5 - 10 feet above the weight. If the hook is adjusted/bent to the right angle and facing back to you, fast forward will cause the slip knot to slide off the hook or tug on the line to slip it off.

In both cases the sinker if 5 - 10 feet below the drone will help minimize any pendulum effect and keep out of the way of the bottom sensors. Fly slowl and smooth. You may want to have a very small weight on the other side of the hook to help keep both sides of the line well below the props. To get confidence and for fun, try experimenting indoors, use the prop cage if you have one.

Let us know how you make out whatever method you end up using. Fly safe and enjoy and good luck!
Well it's been windy around here. I was able to hand launch my mini with prop guards and a rubber band holding 50lb test monofilament and drape it over a branch. The line pulled out as it went through the branches, then the wind came back up. I think the rubber band/mono will work if I add some splitshot to help drag it down.

One of my problems with the normal methods (slingshot, arrows, etc.) is that the line carrier usually travels too far. With the mini I was able to look down and see when I cleared the branch.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King