DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody with battery swelling on M3 yet?

This was really good to learn. However, in spite of it not being practical, possible or safe under current manufacturing methods, that's not what I was curious about venting. Vents are one way pressure valves. Not punctures or exchanges of pressure. I am not really surprised they aren't possible though.
You don't take in the full picture here, you just focus on one of the damaging effects from a LiPo decomposition ... swelling. Even if you could release the internal pressure, preventing the battery container to swell up & by that still fit into the drone in a proper way... swelling is only a consequence of other thing's that really lower your batteries performance... for instance an increased internal resistance due to the lithium oxide build up on the anode and cathode causing big voltage drops under amp draw ... which in turn generate heat & again speeding up the decomposition process.

Also really good info. But wouldn't any pressure decrease be a reduction of gas, by conversion to solid or liquid? If gas forms pressure in the first place? I guess what I'm asking is, are there other contributors to the cell's pressure from temperature increase, beyond that from decomposition?
Take oxygen as an example ... it's in gas form under ordinary temps & atmospheric pressure, it is in liquid form below -183C degrees & solid below -218C degrees ... so no chance it will go solid by just letting the batteries cooling down after a flight.

Gas pressure on the other hand have an influence ... the pressure is proportional to the temperature change, so with higher temperature the faster the gas particles will move ... & the faster they moves the harder they will hit the walls of the closed container. The gas pressure is also proportional to the amount of gas particles ... so the more gas that are in excess the higher pressure ... which equals to a more severe swelling.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu