DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Been Struck By The Blades?

Bloody fingers. Just search Google for images. I hand catch depending on landing conditions (lots of debris/sand). Make sure landing protection is off. Let it hover and stabilize before catching it. Take your time.

Has anyone been struck by the propellor blades? Tell us your story/ injuries.

I hand catch sometimes and always wondered how bad an injury you would get from accidentally touching the blades. Hand catching brings the blades dangerously close to your face as well.
Anyway, this is not to debate safety. Just tell your story.

I tried to pluck the mavic from below when it would not turn off and my left index finger tip got caught by the blades. It hurt a little but wasn’t too bad - didn’t bleed more of a scuff. Three months on the oval of skin effected keeps drying out and cracking and remains slightly tender and feels naked like a fresh sore. As the rpm of blades is high, maybe the split second of contact actually slapped the finger tip many times in a nano second and caused a weird injury trauma? Burn?

I was struck by the blades onmy M2 when they were free-spinning in the wind like a pinwheel. Blades struck my fore-arm causing superficial cut. However it was such a clean cut that it bled quite a bit.

Yes! I was landing and took my finger off the stick when it was almost all the way down and it decided to fly back up at me! It hit my shin, bounced off me, and crashed. But I took it up right after and it was fine. It sliced my shin and it was slightly bruised. It hurt when it happened and really just took me by surprise. But I was proud of getting a drone injury lol

I started the props and the idiot dog started to stick his nose into the props. I swatted the dog who escaped injury but my index finger caught a prop. No stitches required but it drew blood and hurt like the dickens.

My first week with the Mavic Pro. I was on my first day on a two week trek through Europe. In a small backyard in Portugal downtown, like a 5 foot by 7 foot area that went up 50 feet.

I don’t know why I thought I could launch and fly straight up!

Anyways I quickly knew it was a problem when I tried to launch a little and as it freaked out with a weird gps because of the location it came at me. I grabbed it from the top. It went full speed and sliced my finger, chest, and forearm.

I’m just lucky I didn’t damage it, and did get some good shots later.

I caught my pinky in a mini racing quad small prop. The prop broke making it sharp and it took off the tip of my pinky. Even small props bite!

It really depends on what type of prop hits you and what kind of aircraft.. 800 Heli will kill you.. Guess just use the caution you can if you must hand catch.

Reactions: Clinton1
I had a very slight contact with one of the rear blades when hand catching. No broken skin , but man it did smart and lingered with bruising for about a week.

Now I hand catch with 3 D printed leg extensions. The rear extention serves as a perfect catch handle!

20181113_104837.jpg

One main reason not many mavic owners have not cut their fingers after inadvertantly making contact with the propellors whilst hand catching, the genuine DJI mavic pro & mavic pro platinum props are very flexable unlike some third party props if they are more rigid they are far more likely to cause serious damage to your fingers during hand catching.

After flying different quads for six years making no contact with any of the quads propellors by accident, as I always had the need to hand catch from some sites, but since owning the mavic pro platinum i did just once just catch the very tip of my thumb during a hand catch operation because I inadvertantly stuck my thumb slightly to the rear of the mavic pro platinum which caused contact with the propellor, no damage to my thumb was received but I have since stuck a tiny piece of dayglow tape on the mavic body which acts as a visual reminder not to allow any part of my fingers or thumb past that point, since I have done this every hand catch has gone well with no close contact with the props.

yes three times with my Mavic Pro. Not a scratch let alone blood. YMMV though

It really depends on what type of prop hits you and what kind of aircraft.. 800 Heli will kill you.. Guess just use the caution you can if you must hand catch.

My trex 600 would kill you just as dead. especially with carbon fiber blades.

Reactions: Clinton1
When practicing hand catches I caught my thumb (ouch). Did not break the skin only left a small bruise as you would expect from a small blade. No serious damage. I now catch with my hand flat and land on it, closing my hand on the underneath as as the motors stop.

Why YES I have been hit by the blades...It CUTS, BLEEDS AND HURTS...Always am more careful now...I am a quick learner....BE CAREFUL and SAFE........

I've nearly cut the end of my thumb off being hit with Carbon fiber blade's.
And I nearly chopped my hand off with a 500 size Align T-Rex 500 electric 3d helicopter plugged the battery in when I had noticed that the throttle up switch was on.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard