DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else disappointing with picture quality?

iPhone images are always small jpegs. The only full quality photos or videos are on the SD cards. You always need to get the best images/ videos from it, not the iPhone.

Reactions: ssvdh66
I will get an sd card reader today and try transferring directly from the sd card

Hopefully they come out better quality

At that point though I’d feel concerned about inserting and taking out the sd card as the mechanism for it feels like it would break easy
I just connect the mini to my laptop via USB cable , super easy & no fiddling with SD cards

Reactions: Torque
It's compression from uploading and you may have downloaded the smaller preview file. Try quick connect again.

@shadow3467 just be aware also ,that having the drone powered up during the transfer process, will because the drone is not moving ,cause it to get quite hot if you do use the transfer method, then have a small desk fan blowing over the drone to help dissipate heat from the inside ,i would not worry about inserting/ removing the sd card i have had my MPP for nearly 4 years and the card slot has suffered no damage during that time

Reactions: RMS001 and ssvdh66
@shadow3467 just be aware also ,that having the drone powered up during the transfer process, will because the drone is not moving ,cause it to get quite hot if you do use the transfer method, then have a small desk fan blowing over the drone to help dissipate heat from the inside ,i would not worry about inserting/ removing the sd card i have had my MPP for nearly 4 years and the card slot has suffered no damage during that time
yes I have found this to be the case , esp with the Mavs , but for some reason , the mini 3 doesn't seem to have this problem. It gets warm but not overly so. Could it be because the usb C transfers so much faster ?

Reactions: old man mavic
that could have a bearing on the amount of heat it generates ,but i would still have a fan cooling it personally

Would that not count as a charge cycle for the battery? (And this effect battery health?)
a single charge cycle is from 100 to 0 and then to 100. If you plug in the drone at say 30% and have it download pictures for a few minutes, it should not charge more than a few %, if at all as the ipad for example only gives 5 watts. It takes a 30 watt charger 60 minutes to go from 0 to 100. So 5 watt charging power instead of 30 is 6 times slower so 360 minutes to charge to a 100 % which would be 1% of charge every 3,6 minutes.

If downloading of the pictures takes 7,2 minutes, you would need to download pictures 50 times before you have a single charge cycle!

My napkin math checks out, check other people for confirmation.

I agree with @old man mavic on the switching of the cards. If you want to reduce potential wear by 50%, get 2 cards and always insert a fresh one

edit: whoops it would not really matter at all if it was charging during this process as it needs to charge anyway. My example would only be valid if the drones loses 2% battery while/ because of transferring the photos. >_<

Last edited:
Ok so connecting my drone to my computer via USB-C the drone storage does not show up on my computer not sure why

It is charging though but cant access the pics or anything. Will have to wait until tomorrow to get an SD reader I guess

Ok so connecting my drone to my computer via USB-C the drone storage does not show up on my computer not sure why

It is charging though but cant access the pics or anything. Will have to wait until tomorrow to get an SD reader I guess
you have to turn the drone on before your computer can see it

Reactions: Mavic 57 and Torque
Idk man, these pictures just look alot worse than I thought they would
Idk if its just compression from IMGUR or what
You've posted another 2048 x 1536, 3.1 MB image.
No-one can tell what the actual image quality might have been.

And if you want to check image quality, you need to have some quality to check.
You won't get that with distant leaves, grass and roof tiles.
Get in close so that detail can be seen.

For that scene, you'd need to have the subject filling the frame like this:
Untitled-1.jpg
Otherwise it's all just distant mush.

Reactions: johnmont250
Don't use IMGUR. Just use drop image to post. Like this. Galaxy S22 photo
View attachment 149436
well the main problem is I quicktransfer to my phone and then host the images on imgur and save them to my computer

I'll be getting an SD card reader tomorrow so I'll check to see if the images taken directly from the SD to the computer are better

You've posted another 2048 x 1536, 3.1 MB image.
No-one can tell what the actual image quality might have been.

And if you want to check image quality, you need to have some quality to check.
You won't get that with distant leaves, grass and roof tiles.
Get in close so that detail can be seen.

For that scene, you'd need to have the subject filling the frame like this:
View attachment 149437
Otherwise it's all just distant mush.
Note taken, I'm super new to drone photography so still learning.

I'm not sure why the images are coming out 2048 x 1536, on my phone they're 4k when I post them to imgur

oh also, that shot was taken about 600m away from me, if I lower altitude at that range I lose signal with the drone. The signals been quite terrible to be honest, not at all what I expected

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe