DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else disappointing with picture quality?

Note taken, I'm super new to drone photography so still learning.

oh also, that shot was taken about 600m away from me, if I lower altitude at that range I lose signal with the drone. The signals been quite terrible to be honest, not at all what I expected
To check image quality, there's no need to fly 600 metres away.
There's not even a need to fly and you don't need to create a beautiful picture.
Here's an example of a quick shot I just took that's all you need to check image quality.
It's not a pretty photo, but it has lots of detail you can examine up close to see how the camera is performing.
i-8sqN4LC-X3.jpg

And I've uploaded the image to Google Drive so you can check it at full size here:

Last edited:
To check image quality, there's no need to fly 600 metres away.
There's not even a need to fly and you don't need to create a beautiful picture.
Here's an example of a quick shot I just took that's all you need to check image quality.
It's not a pretty photo, but it has lots of detail you can examine up close to see how the camera is performing.
i-8sqN4LC-X3.jpg

And I've uploaded the untouched image to Google Drive so you can check it at full size here:
Sure, but obviously I bought a drone for aerial photography, usually from a distance lol... if I wanted good quality up close Id buy a DSLR or something

I'll get my SD card reader and pull the images tomorrow and hopefully it's better than the ones I posted in terms of actual picture quality

Sure, but obviously I bought a drone for aerial photography, usually from a distance lol... if I wanted good quality up close Id buy a DSLR or something

I'll get my SD card reader and pull the images tomorrow and hopefully it's better than the ones I posted in terms of actual picture quality
You aren't understanding what image quality is or how to check for it.
If you want to tell what your image quality is, you need to shoot reasonably close so you can see how detail is reproduced.
You'll never see that looking at distant leaves and grass from 200 metres away.

The main thing you want to see is textural detail, especially in the corners as that is where optical smearing can occur. If you are using the drone to make landscapes from the air, then evaluate it from that kind of image, not one from a driveway, lol!

This was easily 500M away.

Attachments

• DA980D1B-4DCE-4A89-A016-AFAED216E294.jpeg
    DA980D1B-4DCE-4A89-A016-AFAED216E294.jpeg
    9.4 MB · Views: 54
If you are using the drone to make landscapes from the air, then evaluate it from that kind of image, not one from a driveway, lol!
The idea is to evaluate the performance of the lens and sensor, not the choice of subject.
You'd never know anything from the kind of photos he showed where everything is distant mush with no detail at all.

Last edited:
The main thing you want to see is textural detail, especially in the corners as that is where optical smearing can occur. If you are using the drone to make landscapes from the air, then evaluate it from that kind of image, not one from a driveway, lol!

This was easily 500M away.
Ok how come your picture is actually decent quality? Compared to mine that's MUCH better quality

I'm thinking maybe quicktransfer just transfers low res images even though it says its transferring 4k

Ok how come your picture is actually decent quality? Compared to mine that's MUCH better quality
How do you know that yours is lacking quality?
Your subject matter (just distant grass and leaves) is never going to demonstrate image quality, no matter how good the camera is.
I'm thinking maybe quicktransfer just transfers low res images even though it says its transferring 4k
Take a proper test photo and examine that if you want to see what your image quality actually is.

Reactions: ssvdh66

Because it is of a contrasty scene with my Mavic 2 Pro shot in DNG and processed using Adobe Photoshop.

I was merely showing you what type of scene would be optimal for evaluating the camera.

How do you know that yours is lacking quality?
Your subject matter (just distant grass and leaves) is never going to demonstrate image quality, no matter how good the camera is.

Take a proper test photo and examine that if you want to see what your image quality actually is.
Yeah I'll have to do more testing, and to get he files specifically from the SD card

Sorry but it seems ridiculous that you admittedly know nothing about photography but you are very insisting that the picture quality is sub par, I don’t get it. Maybe take a photography course?

Everyone starts somewhere so maybe let’s not harp on the poster for needing some guidance then?

Look at it this way, for every one person who posts the question, there are probably a dozen or more who did a search, are reading this and learning.

The imaging hardware on drones are space and weight constrained, the resultant image quality is often misunderstood due to their still relatively high price tags as cameras.

Reactions: ssvdh66 and Torque
Sorry but it seems ridiculous that you admittedly know nothing about photography but you are very insisting that the picture quality is sub par, I don’t get it. Maybe take a photography course?
Wow, and all this time I thought my eyes were sufficient to judge the image quality of, well, things I look at with them. I didn't know I was engaging in ridiculous fantasy.

Who knew I couldn't trust my vision without a photography course? Why isn't this a part of the required basic education for our children?

What, are we producing a bunch of Groucho Marx clones that can't believe their own lyin' eyes?

😁

Reactions: Torque
Ok got my SD card reader today and checked out the pics straight from the card, have to say, the quality is alot better than the quicktransfer pictures for some reason

This is not bad at all compared to them

With that said, how do I tell which picture is raw and which is jpeg? The DNG pictures are VERY low rest I'm assuming those are the previews?

Attachments

• DJI_0049.JPG
    DJI_0049.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
I have a DNG picture which is 92mb (much larger than that jpeg) but is terrible quality like 960x720

Whats going on with this? I'm assuming this is the RAW image but why is it so low res but high in size?

Make sure your camera quality is adjusted where you want it make sure you are shooting in auto before you are comfortable playing with the manual settings.
Happy flying and congrats on the Mini 3!

Reactions: ssvdh66
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe