DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else disappointing with picture quality?

shadow3467

Reactions
Don't get me wrong I was not expecting super high end DSLR camera quality, but look for yourself

If you zoom in even just a little bit, the quality goes right out the window, graininess everywhere, it just looks like pictures my old iphone 5 or 6 used to take... that was 8 years ago

Don't get me wrong I was not expecting super high end DSLR camera quality, but look for yourself

If you zoom in even just a little bit, the quality goes right out the window, graininess everywhere, it just looks like pictures my old iphone 5 or 6 used to take... that was 8 years ago
Whether the camera's image quality is good or not, you aren't going to be able to tell from that photo.
Distant grass in the shade and even more distant background and sky give you nothing to look at closely.
Surely you can come up with a better test photo to show image quality.
Something well lit, with some detail that's closer than 200 metres away.

Whether the camera's image quality is good or not, you aren't going to be able to tell from that photo.
Distant grass in the shade and even more distant background and sky give you nothing to look at closely.
Surely you can come up with a better test photo to show image quality.
I'll take more tomorrow with better lighting and closer range and see how that comes out

But still, it's kind of underwhelming to me. I was expecting higher quality for a thousand dollar drone

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
These are pictures that saved to my phone through quick transfer so I think they are, unless quicktransfer doesnt transfer the full size pics?
The image you posted is 2048 x 1536.
That's 3.1 MB as opposed to 48.7 MP of the full-size image produced by that camera.

But given what's in the photo, you'd still not see much of the image quality if it was full-sized.

This is why for video at least , in general, people prefer mini 1 over mini 2; the image is slightly sharpened by default.

My 2021 16 inch MacBook is only 3000*something pixels, my 75 inch tv is 4K though, but to be honest aside from added dynamic range and better auto white balance i guess, I didn’t see that much video difference compared to the 2018 Anafi.
If could be an autofocus thing?

Don’t know but anyway never expect any miracles, no matter the drone. Newer better drones only make your work easier. Or in some cases they allow for better zoom or more gimbal articulation. Stable footage upwind, that sort of stuff.

here are some pics straight from the sd card for comparison taken with my mini 3 full auto modefirst flights penalta 31-05-2022 (1).JPGfirst flights penalta 31-05-2022 (3).JPGpeny fan pond 03-06-2022 (4).JPGpeny fan pond 03-06-2022 (3).JPG

I would not say evaluating images from an iPhone is any sort of test. Please first download your SD card to your computer and save an image in a low Rez form that is less than 2MB so you can submit it to the forum. Then we can decide on its quality.

Dale

If I connect my 50MP Hasselblad digital back to my phone via Wi-Fi and send over a well balanced jpeg, it often looks stunning.

But in order to get a more than usable image out of the tiny sensor and lens on a drone like the Mini 3, I will have to record that image in only DNG format, download it to my computer and go through a well executed process to get it to a printable level.

You have to both manage expectations with these tiny cameras and use expertise in producing a good reproducible image, there simply is no way around that.

If I connect my 50MP Hasselblad digital back to my phone via Wi-Fi and send over a well balanced jpeg, it often looks stunning.

But in order to get a more than usable image out of the tiny sensor and lens on a drone like the Mini 3, I will have to record that image in only DNG format, download it to my computer and go through a well executed process to get it to a printable level.

You have to both manage expectations with these tiny cameras and use expertise in producing a good reproducible image, there simply is no way around that.
I believe the iPhone image is 12 MB and the DJI M3 sensor image for a single image is 20 MP. In my mind, there is no substitute for proper treatment of the date- e.g.: remove your SD card, download it to your desk top and save it as a DNG RAW file. There you will have all of the information that th drone sensor will have captured.

Dale

I will get an sd card reader today and try transferring directly from the sd card

Hopefully they come out better quality

At that point though I’d feel concerned about inserting and taking out the sd card as the mechanism for it feels like it would break easy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423