DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else had this?

gday

Reactions
I had just taken off and moving vertically taking some stills as I ascended. At around 100' the image suddenly showed the drone was tumbling and within seconds it hit the ground - luckily grass - ESC Error code 30085.

Already submitted a claim - only 2 months old. Weather was fine and batteries fully charged. No warnings. Luckily it missed a friend who I was showing it to, but only by a few feet.

Ideas or thoughts?

I had just taken off and moving vertically taking some stills as I ascended. At around 100' the image suddenly showed the drone was tumbling and within seconds it hit the ground - luckily grass - ESC Error code 30085.

Already submitted a claim - only 2 months old. Weather was fine and batteries fully charged. No warnings. Luckily it missed a friend who I was showing it to, but only by a few feet.

Ideas or thoughts?
Ya, I'm wondering with all of the bizarre snafu's I'm reading about if the DJI drone has hit "prime time" yet. "Fly safe" until the thing losses it's mind and becomes a projectile.

Post the flight logs, DAT & txt if you can and someone is likely to have a look at them. To get the logs see post 1 of Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

And to answer the title, I for one have not.
Thanks for the link. From what I can see something happened in the last 1.5 secs with some warnings about poor GPS and max load, that I did not see then bingo it fell.

I have found the flight log txt file but not the dat file. I am using an ipad - any clues as to where to look?

The DAT-file folder is in the same folder as the txt flightlogs and the folder name is MCDatFlightRecords, if the txt file folder is fairly full scroll to its ends (this assumes the file structure is the same on ios as android)

Thanks for the link. From what I can see something happened in the last 1.5 secs with some warnings about poor GPS and max load, that I did not see then bingo it fell.

I have found the flight log txt file but not the dat file. I am using an ipad - any clues as to where to look?

The DAT-file folder is in the same folder as the txt flightlogs and the folder name is MCDatFlightRecords, if the txt file folder is fairly full scroll to its ends (this assumes the file structure is the same on ios as android)

Thanks again for all your help.

The folder MCDatFlightRecords is empty but I read a bit more and discovered it on the sd card as a log file and I needed to change it to a DAT file according to the article. I can see bits in CsvView. All beyond me! It is 512Mb so I need to use Dropbox I assume.

Here is the text Flight log.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord-2020-09-17-[15-28-13].txt
    700.3 KB · Views: 20
Try this mate

Try this mate

Thanks Juggler, but I am hesitant to try anything now that I have started the process in case I make matters worse. I read the contents of the link and I will maybe connect it again tomorrow and see if I can see any other messages but I feel I should wait and see. I am a novice retiree flyer! Very comfortable with computers but this is a new field for me.

At this point the craft suddenly tilted to the left and yawed to the right. Seems that some catastrophic failure has occurrred to the left-front motor / propeller

1600394496338.png

At this point the craft suddenly tilted to the left and yawed to the right. Seems that some catastrophic failure has occurrred to the left-front motor / propeller

View attachment 113248
Thanks Boblui - it seemed to happen very quickly then just fell. It was not running when it hit the ground and nothing on the outside is visibly damaged.
I notice on my ipad there are quite a few files of data that were created at least an hour and a half after I had packed it all away. In that time I had driven home and put in a repair claim so maybe the repair place already have access to lots of data! Interesting technology for sure.

.... I notice on my ipad there are quite a few files of data that were created at least an hour and a half after I had packed it all away......Interesting technology for sure.

A techonology that makes the US military nervous and ban Chinese drones....

Last edited:
but I read a bit more and discovered it on the sd card as a log file and I needed to change it to a DAT file according to the article
You have been busy, the DAT file on the mSD card my be a compendium of several DAT files, I recollect it seemed to be different things for different people.
With regards to the empty MCDatFlightRecords folder, did you send data to or sync to DJI? I have the recollection of log files being deleted once they have been sync'ed but don't remember which drone that occurs with.
With regards to data appearing some time later, that is interesting. I have been experimenting with a Tesco Hudl2 tablet and the Go4 app ( M2P) and although the latest flights were listed in the "me"/profile section at the front of the App they did not appear in the FlightRecord folder and I couldn't see them in any of the other folders I looked in, HOWEVER when I restarted the Hudl2 they appeared. This happened every time in my experiments.

Here is the text Flight log.
Things came unstuck at 1:46.2 when the drone pitched forward, started spinning clockwise and losing height.
This was caused by loss of a front prop or motor.
It could well be a warranty case.

The GPS message isn't anything that would affect motors and may be just an indication of GPS trouble due to the fast spinning of the drone.

Thank you for taking the time to share your expertise PhiliusFoggg and
Meta4 - very much appreciated. That goes for everyone who has helped me understand what happened by sharing their expertise.

You have been busy, the DAT file on the mSD card my be a compendium of several DAT files, I recollect it seemed to be different things for different people.
With regards to the empty MCDatFlightRecords folder, did you send data to or sync to DJI? I have the recollection of log files being deleted once they have been sync'ed but don't remember which drone that occurs with.
With regards to data appearing some time later, that is interesting. I have been experimenting with a Tesco Hudl2 tablet and the Go4 app ( M2P) and although the latest flights were listed in the "me"/profile section at the front of the App they did not appear in the FlightRecord folder and I couldn't see them in any of the other folders I looked in, HOWEVER when I restarted the Hudl2 they appeared. This happened every time in my experiments.

I didn't send anything to anyone yet, knowingly! I have just called DJI and discussed the incident - they suggested I contact the Canadian support so I filled in a form to get things started. Covid will slow down things of course. I also have DJICare but that doesn't seem to be for things that the normal warranty covers - I hope.

The msd card file is 512Mb so your theory may well be right about being a compendium. Would it really help if I used Dropbox to share it? Or did the log show enough?

Last edited:
Have been flying P3, MA, and P4adv for 4 years, and hundreds of flights. Every crash has been pilot error. DJI's technology has never caused a crash.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis and ajkm
The DAT file might be useful, if you can give the date and time of the flight. Each line in a DAT file generally contains date and time info and the likes of Meta4 can work wonders if the relevant information is there. Have you tried posting logs directly to this site, I thought it was possible. Drop box would do providing there is access authorised etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones