DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else using the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet?

Reactions
I got one of these after they first came out as I am more of an Android user than Apple. Some people claim it works great with DJI drones and I have used it with my Phantom 3 Adv. with moderate success but have not had as good a luck with my Mavic Air.

It seems to really lag and I constantly get the message that the app has stopped and do I want to wait or restart it. Just opening the Go 4 app takes over 2 minutes sometimes to get to where it recognizes my drone. Not sure if I should do a factory reset or something, I don't actually have a lot of apps on it as I have other tablets for reading and when I travel.

I bought it a year ago and tried it with my MP. Got the same symptoms as yours. Never used it after that and I am happy with my iPhone X

I have downgraded it to android 6 and it works as a charm. With Android 7 all sort of strange things happens.

Reactions: Kilrah
I have been using the nvidia for well over a year now (Marshmallow) and have been very happy with it. When I first got it I upgraded to android 7 (Nougat) and it kept on freezing and a whole lot of lag. I immediately rolled back to Marshmallow.

edit:
I use it with the Phantom 2 Vision+, Phantom 3A, Mavic Pro, Spark and now the Mavic Air

I have been using the nvidia for well over a year now (Marshmallow) and have been very happy with it. When I first got it I upgraded to android 7 (Nougat) and it kept on freezing and a whole lot of lag. I immediately rolled back to Marshmallow.

edit:
I use it with the Phantom 2 Vision+, Phantom 3A, Mavic Pro, Spark and now the Mavic Air

Is it easy to roll back to Marshmallow?

Nvidia Shield K1
I have never had a problem using the latest 7.0 on my K1. But I use Litchi, not DJI GO 4. From what I understand now if I were to use DJI GO 4 I would use an IPAD. I think the guys at DJI really like using I phone and I pads on their products, and not so much ANDROID based PHONES OR TABLETS IMHO

Last edited:
DJI GO 4 and Nougat(7.0) definitely have issues. You will want Marshmallow(6.1) for the K1 and DJI GO 4. I also have a IPAD Pro 9.5 and I use that when I am flying my Mavic Pro now because I can use my DJI Goggles with it (it's great). However, I use my K1 with my Mavic Air so I can use the HDMI Out Port and my HeadPlay Goggles (Also Great).

DJI GO 4 and Nougat(7.0) definitely have issues. You will want Marshmallow(6.1) for the K1 and DJI GO 4. I also have a IPAD Pro 9.5 and I use that when I am flying my Mavic Pro now because I can use my DJI Goggles with it (it's great). However, I use my K1 with my Mavic Air so I can use the HDMI Out Port and my HeadPlay Goggles (Also Great).
I also have K1 and flew P4 with it when I had the drone. It had no issues with Android 7, but I did not like how HeadPlay goggles worked with HDMI out. You are basically getting the same video, as the tablet has with all the telemetry, map etc. I opted for DJI HDMI module and it was way better, but there is something wrong with HeadPlay - they do 720P, but the image is squished in horizontal direction and it bothered me a little. I still flew it couple time as LOS while giving "rides" to friends with goggles. :)

Conducted a FPV flight this weekend using the NVidia Shield and DJI Go4 App. No problems with transmission etc....

Conducted a FPV flight this weekend using the NVidia Shield and DJI Go4 App. No problems with transmission etc....
What version on the k1 6.1 or 7.x? I heard that they got the go4 app worked out and it is now OK to use the Nougat(7.0) on the k1. I have not personally tried it yet but have been tempted.

What version on the k1 6.1 or 7.x? I heard that they got the go4 app worked out and it is now OK to use the Nougat(7.0) on the k1. I have not personally tried it yet but have been tempted.

I'm currently using Android version 7.0 on my K1, though I can't keep it set on MIDI when connected to the controller, it transfers to "Charging", which I think is why I'm not getting the HDMI connection from the 1 to my fatsharks. What is your experience??

I'm currently using Android version 7.0 on my K1, though I can't keep it set on MIDI when connected to the controller, it transfers to "Charging", which I think is why I'm not getting the HDMI connection from the 1 to my fatsharks. What is your experience??
I'm still using Marshmallow(6.1) on my Nvidia. I will probably upgrade to Nougat soon, I'm just trying to find out if go4 still crashes with 7.x.

I'm still using Marshmallow(6.1) on my Nvidia. I will probably upgrade to Nougat soon, I'm just trying to find out if go4 still crashes with 7.x.

My current experience with Go4 on the Nvidia tablet running Android 7.0, is that it's stable.

My current experience with Go4 on the Nvidia tablet running Android 7.0, is that it's stable.
Great! Thanks for the info. I will probably do the upgrade this week then. I am using the Headplay goggles and never have any problems with them.

I'm just trying to find out if go4 still crashes with 7.x.
I heard from opinions not about operating drones that Nvidia Shield is laggy after upgraded to Nougat
and optimal is Marshmallow..

This is a man taking review or still have problems with Android 7.0?
[but this video comes from a year ago]

4K Could it be true? Did DJI solve the problems with Android 7.0 and NVIDIA Shield K1?

I would buy a second hand Nvidia Shield which have never upgraded Android, this is lovely with best features tablet for everything.

Last edited:
As of April 2019, I use the Nvidia Shield K1 table in conjunction with a pair of Fat Shark goggles to fly FPV, using the DJI Go4 app, latest firmware update. Additionally, the litchi app works well with the Mavic Pro to fly FPV or otherwise. I've since sold my Mavic Pro, as I got fed up with DJI's No Fly Zones, and have gone to flying the Autel Evo and Parrot ANAFI. NFZ's there.

I heard from opinions not about operating drones that Nvidia Shield is laggy after upgraded to Nougat
and optimal is Marshmallow..

This is a man taking review or still have problems with Android 7.0?
[but this video comes from a year ago]

4K Could it be true? Did DJI solve the problems with Android 7.0 and NVIDIA Shield K1?

I would buy a second hand Nvidia Shield which have never upgraded Android, this is lovely with best features tablet for everything.

You can always roll back the Android version. Not that difficult. I did this with mine and now it is running much smoother. DJI 4 wouldn't crash on me that often on 7.0. The biggest issue for me was the rapid battery drain problem (about 1% per minute). It is much better on Marshmallow (1% every 3-4 minutes)

Adding link to instructions for the rollback. Instructions are on post #12. Just make sure to have all the files in the same folder to make your life easier.
Nvida K1 Tablet

Last edited:
at today.... December 2019 is it possible to use nvidia shell with android 7 and last updated dji go4? or does it also work with adroid 8? thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato