DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone flew above cloud yet?

Sorry about that, I added the second part as an afterthought, without removing the word 'legally' in the first one. I could remove it but I stand corrected.?? have fun fly safe.

No worries, catch you later ?

I see this crap all the time with people, if you're going to buy a drone tried doing the research on the rules and regulations and Learn to Fly by them. It's people like you with the comments of flying above clouds that gets the rest of us in trouble. Don't know if you've noticed but everything one person does reflux on the rest of us which brings more regulations

Reactions: TxArch DroneGuy
"Just fly above the fog" reminded me of a vid I made last February:

(not with a Mini, though.)

Gee I wonder where all the VLS police are when things like this are posted.

Gee I wonder where all the VLS police are when things like this are posted.
I had line of sight the whole time - thanks to a very bright strobe light attached to the bottom of my Mavic Pro.

Just to clarify, I realize that the FAA rules in the US state that drones cannot operate above 400 ft, but is that 400 ft above sea level or ground level?

Just to clarify, I realize that the FAA rules in the US state that drones cannot operate above 400 ft, but is that 400 ft above sea level or ground level?
Above the ground immediately below the drone... on slopes you also need to stay within 400’ laterally from the ground level of the slope.

Have any mavic mini owner pushed their drone to climb above the low cloud? I mean taking off from almost sea level and climb until you are above the cloud, not taking off from high altitude.
Go ahead.... break the law by flying without line of sight, that’s real smart - NOT

Reactions: TxArch DroneGuy
Someone had posted that they flew about the clouds and when coming back down the bottom sensors detected the cloud and WOULDN'T let it come through. I'm not sure but I think they had to turn off the obstacle avoidance.

With a M2P I have flown above low clouds. I was between 300 and 400' and was about 400' laterally while watching the drone hover as low clouds passed below it.

Have any mavic mini owner pushed their drone to climb above the low cloud? I mean taking off from almost sea level and climb until you are above the cloud, not taking off from high altitude.
Flying above a fog is pretty much the same thing, very cool. Usually only need to go straight up, straight down

Reactions: G Lee
Someone had posted that they flew about the clouds and when coming back down the bottom sensors detected the cloud and WOULDN'T let it come through. I'm not sure but I think they had to turn off the obstacle avoidance.
I saw a Mavic Air YT video once, and it got stuck in fog, he got it down in the end but it was a real battle.

In US the requirement is that you fly 500 ft BELOW the clouds, so technically you would NEVER be able to fly above a cloud.

I must be missing part of the conversation..l.

d) The minimum distance of the small unmanned aircraft from clouds must be no less than:
(1) 500 feet below the cloud; and
(2) 2,000 feet horizontally from the cloud.“

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard