DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone has used a big (20000mAh) power bank to charge the remote and iPhone at the same time in cold to avoid battery dying?

bonmot

Reactions
I tried my first fly today in 2C/36F. It was great. But iPhone 7 died in 5 minutes. Landed using the controller. All good.
Now busy thinking about a solution for cold. Power bank is the first thing came to my mind.

You can use a power bank to charge the phone and controller.
While we don't have to fly generally in that sort of cold here (Australia), I would have thought the phone should be a bit more resistant to low temps than that though.
You have it set up to not charge the controller while connected ?
This may be why the phone drained so fast, and controller was still ok (not a bad thing in that scenario, I guess).

You couldn't recharge the phone at all while the lightning connector was in use flying.

I'm not sure you can use the powerbank on the controller usb micro-a at same time as usb-a connection to the controller.
My M1P has both controller points, I use the usb-a to ipad to fly, not tried the usb micro-a (for anything but the phone connection early on), as my controller usually lasts at least 4 - 5 drone batteries of flying.

From memory reading here, both outlets on the controller can't be used same time when connected to the drone, so you will likely have to recharge controller and / or phone between flights.
Not too hard when moving around by car to different locations etc, but when you say you want to use a powerbank, it sort of indicates you want to do this recharging in the field while away from regular charging sources.

If you can't charge while using the controller flying, it might be inconvenient given the cold and time it would take not being able to use the devices.

in 2C/36F. It was great. But iPhone 7 died in 5 minutes.
Before looking at power banks, I would look at the phone. Seems like the battery should last much longer at those temps. I flew for 1.2 hrs with a Note 9 in colder temps (0C) a few days ago. The RC was getting low (25%). The Note 9 had no problem. You might need a new battery in your iPhone 7.

You can use a power bank to charge the phone and controller.
While we don't have to fly generally in that sort of cold here (Australia), I would have thought the phone should be a bit more resistant to low temps than that though.
You have it set up to not charge the controller while connected ?
This may be why the phone drained so fast, and controller was still ok (not a bad thing in that scenario, I guess).

You couldn't recharge the phone at all while the lightning connector was in use flying.

I'm not sure you can use the powerbank on the controller usb micro-a at same time as usb-a connection to the controller.
My M1P has both controller points, I use the usb-a to ipad to fly, not tried the usb micro-a (for anything but the phone connection early on), as my controller usually lasts at least 4 - 5 drone batteries of flying.

From memory reading here, both outlets on the controller can't be used same time when connected to the drone, so you will likely have to recharge controller and / or phone between flights.
Not too hard when moving around by car to different locations etc, but when you say you want to use a powerbank, it sort of indicates you want to do this recharging in the field while away from regular charging sources.

If you can't charge while using the controller flying, it might be inconvenient given the cold and time it would take not being able to use the devices.

If I recall, you can CHARGE the standard controller using the side port while it connects to phone/tablet using the bottom port. But if NOT CHARGING, no cable should be plugged into the side port if connecting using the bottom port. But I am willing to be corrected if wrong.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
If I recall, you can CHARGE the standard controller using the side port while it connects to phone/tablet using the bottom port. But if NOT CHARGING, no cable should be plugged into the side port if connecting using the bottom port. But I am willing to be corrected if wrong.

That would be very cool for the OP if correct then.
Can let the power bank keep the controller topped off, and if settings are allowing the controller to charge the phone, the phone can be kept in good charge also.

Found this in a pic online (from DJI forums) in the controller settings menu . . .

192349bkqhmh3usd3mc33s.png

This option is for i devices, still not an option for android.

I might just have to take my small power bank out with me sometime and try this too.
Just for interest, the iPad lasts a fair few flights without a recharge, normally around the 4 - 5 batteries is no issues from memory.
When travelling, I'll put the mini 4 on charge in the vehicle when it gets down to 50% or so.

Thank you guys. Thanks for giving a few ideas for me to try.
1) I will do another test using my iPhone 7 in cold, with absolutely no other apps running in the background (I didn't check).
2) I can test the "Cool" mode as you guys have mentioned: Use the power adapter to charge on the side port, bottom USB-A to connect to the iPhone using a normal iPhone cable, turn on that setting.
3) I will post this "Cool" mode on DJI forum to see what will DJI say.
Thanks.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Your IPhone battery is finished. I had the same issue last year with my 6s plus while flying in the cold Canadian winter, then I replaced my phone with a new 8 Plus and now I fly without any issues.

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
Your IPhone battery is finished. I had the same issue last year with my 6s plus while flying in the cold Canadian winter, then I replaced my phone with a new 8 Plus and now I fly without any issues.
Good to know. Can I just replace my battery for my iPhone 7?

Update. Got a good day today to fly my drone (the very 2nd time) with my brand new iPhone 7 battery. 0C/32F outside.
Started from 100%, drone in the air 15 minutes, in beginner mode, went 30m ceiling and 30m furthest distance. LOL.
Phone still have 87%.
As reference here, before the battery replace, the battery health is 78%.
Manual says 80% is the lowest, now I know it is true. :-D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User