DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone having heat issues?

So took my mini 3 for a quick test run out in backyard, ( did my updates yesterday), i know airflow is key to keeping the drone cool, but just flew around for about 20 mins in normal mode and both the rc controller and drone seemed hotter than normal, controller was as hot as my android phone after a couple of packs in my mini 2 before switching to the smart controller which does not get hot. Had the screen brightness at 75%. Will have to test at flying field this weekend.
So I wonder if there is a correlation with this minor heat issue and Mini 3 customers complaining about poor range? If DJI made another firmware update to boost the signal strength it would intern increase the heat expulsion from both the RC and drone thus shortening the life span of each.

So took my mini 3 for a quick test run out in backyard, ( did my updates yesterday), i know airflow is key to keeping the drone cool, but just flew around for about 20 mins in normal mode and both the rc controller and drone seemed hotter than normal, controller was as hot as my android phone after a couple of packs in my mini 2 before switching to the smart controller which does not get hot. Had the screen brightness at 75%. Will have to test at flying field this weekend.
Odd…no heat problem in North Pole, AK…

I have more or less tracked RC controller temps frequently.
Temps at the center top and lower Right corner of the screen can get to low 130 F frequently, and typically are in the 110's. I haven't flown beyond 1,700' or so but pretty much had 5 bars at all times. I had other problems instead.

One RC sample I had running on early versions of firmware and Fly would get above 140--It had horrible performance, would scramble commands, would disconnect, would display one selection with the instructions and voice-over of another (e.g. Take Off button with Land instructions and verbal message). It was my belief that the performance failures increased with heat or heat increased when the controller was malfunctoning. ...Chicken/egg....dunno.

My newest controller may not have the range of prior ones, but I am not completely comfortable with this new sUAS combo yet, so haven't pushed it very far.

The batteries run hot, especially if you spend a lot of time in hover. They want to move to get air pushed through the vents.
As for overheating when prepping on the pad,
Ive been using a 1990’s D cell portable fold up desk fan sitting on the landing pad across from my mini 3. Its small, like 5” square, B20D50C5-2F60-4D77-B97B-3516B4545FE5.jpegFA87B6E7-58BC-45D0-B696-736B27A90B89.jpeg2A53124B-D294-4DB8-B73D-EC873A9196FE.png works pretty good. You can actually tilt the fan to get the right air flow. Looked around for a newer version of the same thing, its made by Caframo, and you can still get them online. Most dont tilt, or are raised too high and the air current goes over the top. However, looking on EBay I found the ‘Portable Waist Clip Fan Hanging Cooling Fan USB Rechargeable 6000mAh Power Bank’ which may work. Looks like it sits low on the ground so you can park it in front of the drone. A lot of these things require them to be hooked to external power, and thats not gonna work. This one is rechargeable. I might try this when mine finally dies. Or just get another Caframo. Let me know if somebody finds the perfect fan.

Last edited:
My Mini 3 Pro definitely heats up when turned on downloading pictures and videos and not in the air. I also have the extra heat here in Miami

I have more or less tracked RC controller temps frequently.
Temps at the center top and lower Right corner of the screen can get to low 130 F frequently, and typically are in the 110's. I haven't flown beyond 1,700' or so but pretty much had 5 bars at all times. I had other problems instead.

One RC sample I had running on early versions of firmware and Fly would get above 140--It had horrible performance, would scramble commands, would disconnect, would display one selection with the instructions and voice-over of another (e.g. Take Off button with Land instructions and verbal message). It was my belief that the performance failures increased with heat or heat increased when the controller was malfunctioning. ...Chicken/egg....dunno.

My newest controller may not have the range of prior ones, but I am not completely comfortable with this new sUAS combo yet, so haven't pushed it very far.
Hit new recorded High temps for RC Controller. 153.8 degrees F. 93 degrees ambient temp, I was hunched over controller so I could see the somewhat dim image on the screen.

RC Controller Mini 3 Pro 154 Degrees-FHD.jpg

I've never felt the RC warm in hand 🤔
It is highly localized. Usually top dead center of screen and right mid to bottom edge, and sometimes dead center. Never all over or at heat sink on back.

I updated the firmware, two days back. Yep... right in the middle of it all a message appeared stating that it wanted to shut off the drone due to heat. Great. It trashed a battery (which I recovered using DJI's assistant software).

The update completed, eventually, as I put the drone on a camera stand, in front of a large fan. When updating the other batteries, at home, I put it in the fridge.

I updated the firmware, two days back. Yep... right in the middle of it all a message appeared stating that it wanted to shut off the drone due to heat. Great. It trashed a battery (which I recovered using DJI's assistant software).

The update completed, eventually, as I put the drone on a camera stand, in front of a large fan. When updating the other batteries, at home, I put it in the fridge.
Your wifi router must be much more powerful than mine if you're getting a usable signal insider the refrigerator.

Putting the drone in the refrigerator seems like overkill.

Latest firmware, 90 to 100F temps will it overheat and land or will it let you keep flying until pilot lands it?

I don’t like the idea of it force landing anywhere on it’s own.

I would advise all new drone folks have a fan blowing over your drone when you first activate it. As the drone is powered on, and not moving, things get hot.
You need to update all your stuff. DJI fly app, controller, batteries, and drone. Takes a little while to accomplish all the updates. Doesn't hurt to keep the drone cool. 😎
Yeah I did this with a USB desk fan pointing into the front intakes. It then stays warm and not hot.

@EmilyLee hi Emily ,you should definately get the job as marketing director at Hugerock ,judging by the amount of posts, you have just done promoting them
or maybe you already are

Reactions: EmilyLee
Anybody had force landing because of overheating while in the air?!
I read that forward movement cool down, but what if i mainly do 360s?
So hovering for minutes above a lake for example..
Still no control at all while force landing??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka