DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone here has reservations over friction-mount strobe light mounts?

I fly with strobe lights during the day to help keep the drone within my visual line of sight

LOL! Actually, I don't need all of them at night. It's during the super-bright Arizona skies that require all seven.

Reactions: MA2 317
I use them in the daytime, very helpful. also, Velcro has been fine for me as long as it’s quality and mount spot prepped well. Here’s a little variation to other pilots methods and how I mounted to my Air 2S, made a couple little metal brackets for support and the slope of the drone angles the lights a little downward nicely and its well balanced.

Attachments

• IMG_8235.jpeg
    IMG_8235.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8230.jpeg
    IMG_8230.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8231.jpeg
    IMG_8231.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
a couple little metal brackets for support and the slope of the drone angles

I assume aluminum. 🤔

Looks like aluminum.

Ferrous metals may throw the compass off on start up and during the flight.

Aluminum is lightweight and won't interfere with the stuff for flight. :)

Thank you for your observation. I think that’s a good idea. I may find some 90 degree shaped plastic from something around the house and cut it to dimension and replace the metal, it is not aluminum, as a precaution. Smart you are…thanks

As a standard all of the mounts we make use screws just for this reason. A light or accessory falling off into props or hitting someone below. We do use snaps in some cases howevet, we provide a secondary securing method. (like a lanyard)
What method do you use to stop the screws coming lose due to high frequency vibration?

I think "Velcro" could work well too depending on the type of Velcro. 3M Dual Lock would likely never fail (assuming it's used properly).
I use this on my drones, white top f'wrd, Red under aft. Can distinguish which end of drone. 3M Dual holds very well. No concerns at all about detachment. Not subject to loosening due to vibration

Reactions: msinger
Anyone here has reservations over friction-mount strobe light mounts? A few folks have shed concerns that these mounts can slide off after sometime (or edge closer to the propellers) potentially coming in contact with the propellers while in flight (despite running through the pre-check manifest)
lost one on my A 2S, looked great falling from the dark night sky into the lake, won't use them anymore

• Wow
Reactions: projectarjun
I use clip-on 3D printed mounts for Firehouse strobes on a Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual. Same mounts for 3-4 years (only clipped on when flying at night, not used during the day). No distortion on the clips, no slipping, stay in place.

My design: Prusa Printables Mavic Strobe LED Holders

There are a pair that aim two strobes forward/rear and a pair that aim two strobes to the left and right side.

Thank you for your observation. I think that’s a good idea. I may find some 90 degree shaped plastic from something around the house and cut it to dimension and replace the metal, it is not aluminum, as a precaution. Smart you are…thanks
Hey MA2 317, I took your advice and eliminated any potential metal interference issues and made my brackets from plastic. So the point of all this was to eliminate leg mounts (I have them, like them but a hassle vs quality Velcro), any air flow disruption they may cause from the prop, no change to the CG and easier to pick up as I scan back and forth from screen to drone. this Is not intended as night time as I would configure the lightning on top.

Attachments

• IMG_8236.jpeg
    IMG_8236.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8239.jpeg
    IMG_8239.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8241.jpeg
    IMG_8241.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8242.jpeg
    IMG_8242.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
I have AerialPixel - Etsy mounts on my Mavic 3 Pro, Mini 4 Pro and Air with with NO ISSUES. They work fantastically.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13