DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone here has reservations over friction-mount strobe light mounts?

projectarjun

Reactions
Anyone here has reservations over friction-mount strobe light mounts? A few folks have shed concerns that these mounts can slide off after sometime (or edge closer to the propellers) potentially coming in contact with the propellers while in flight (despite running through the pre-check manifest)

Reactions: MARK (LI)
When you say friction mount, I assume Velcro type. 🤔

I didn't like the flimsy Velcro that comes with most strobes and didn't use them.

The nature of the hook and loop system is convenient, but it can flex a bit in all directions.

I prefer the 3m fastener as it locks in place.

Or the 3d printed mounts are nice as well.

I have them for my MA2.

Here are some for the Air 3.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Velcro style has many different brands. The Velcro name is the best and I’ve not lost any strobes to this point. The trick to Velcro is ensuring that the small hooks embed themselves into the opposite side properly. A slight twisting motion back and forth while pushing them together is beneficial. The dual lock is certainly easier and just as good. The dual lock is a bit thicker once applied. I just can’t wrap myself around 3D printed bulky hangers and or their molded plastic twins.

Actually, I meant sliding onto each arm of the drone - wouldn't the 3D-printed mounts soften overtime becoming loose?

Actually, I meant sliding onto each arm of the drone - wouldn't the 3D-printed mounts soften overtime becoming loose?

I haven't had a problem with my Aerial-Pixel mounts over the past few years of putting them on and taking them off.

I modified an old case to have my MA2 ready to deploy with the strobes attached.

I take them off to charge the strobes and haven't noticed any wear on the flex points of the mounts that grip the arms.

So far, so good. 😊

1702211236565.png

As a standard all of the mounts we make use screws just for this reason. A light or accessory falling off into props or hitting someone below. We do use snaps in some cases howevet, we provide a secondary securing method. (like a lanyard)

wouldn't the 3D-printed mounts soften overtime becoming loose?
It depends on the type of filament used to print the mount. Most commonly used filaments would not melt/soften enough unless stored somewhere like a hot car in the summer time.

I think it would be more likely for a mount to fall off due to it being poorly designed.

Reactions: projectarjun
A slight twisting motion back and forth while pushing them together is beneficial.
I find myself twisting the strobe a bit too much to make sure its good and stuck. :) -But For ease I use this method with velcro all the time. I do have a Pro drone pilot buddy whose company forbids the use of velcro.
I have reservations for any method including velcro that does not 100 percent secure the object to the drone. In reality a good strap would be best I think BUT I still have LOT'S of velcro and the lights don't weigh that much so I will "stick" with it. Please excuse the inexcusable Pun ;)

It depends on the type of filament used to print the mount. Most commonly used filaments would not melt/soften enough unless stored somewhere like a hot car in the summer time.

I think it would be more likely for a mount to fall off due to it being poorly designed.
Agreed design is very important.

Reactions: projectarjun
Thank you, this is rest assuring

Reactions: MA2 317
I use Velcro to attach seven strobes to my drones and have for years. No perceptible effect on flight time or performance. Never lost one either.

Reactions: MA2 317
I use Velcro to attach seven strobes to my drones

Your aircraft probably looks like a mirrored disco ball during a flight with seven strobes flashing away in the night . ;)

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I think "Velcro" could work well too depending on the type of Velcro. 3M Dual Lock would likely never fail (assuming it's used properly).

I've had no problems with strobes mounted to my drones with hook-and-loop fasteners, such as Velcro. It's a simple, lightweight, inexpensive, and reliable alternative to bulky and heavier plastic mounts.

Have a look at an infantryman's or marine's combat gear for other examples of hook-and-loop fasteners, and not just for name patches. The parachute packs I used to jump with used hook-and-loop fasteners and the new ones do, too.

Reactions: QuaiOui
we provide a secondary securing method. (like a lanyard)

Yes sir.

Nothing like having a life line attached to the equipment to save it in case of failure.

I used suction cup mounts on my watercraft to secure small cameras as I ride.

Never had one fall off, but the lanyard attached gave me peace knowing that I won't be losing the gear if the suction cup failed.

Are strobes primarily for night flying?

I use them during the day as well.

They work great on cloudy days and when flying below the treeline along a canyon, lake or river.

Unless you're flying a big white Phantom, the little ones blend into the background easily.

The strobes help me or the VO to locate the drone quickly if I take my eyes off of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13