DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2Pro Fell From the Sky

Tommygun45

Reactions
I just posted this is the wrong forum. This seems like more the place.

Hello all, been a while since I posted which is probably a good thing. Just wanted to share a quick story about what happened yesterday to my Mavic 2 Pro. I probably use these drones as much as anyone. I run a real estate photography and videography company. This drone had over 6,000,000 feet on it (1,000 miles), over 1100 flights and 106 hours of flight time. I had recently changed out the props for about the 5th or 6th time but they had been on for about 100 flights. My flights are typically 4-8 minutes of circling a house and taking pictures at different angles, and sometimes some tripod video work of the area.

Also for months I have been having two issues. One is the fat batteries. I have three batteries and I had just ordered two more to replace two of the ones I have that are puffy. I was not using either of them however. Also I constantly get a compass calibration error. Constantly as in every time I fly. I have to calibrate it literally every time I turn it on which is a extremely dangerous and inefficient for me. I am always parked on the sides of roads and having to launch the drone from busy streets, or crime ridden areas. People frequently confront me about flying my drone over their houses or 'in their towns'. Needless to say standing there calibrating it every time I fly is a safety hazard for me. Perhaps not calibrating it is a safety hazard for other people. But either way what a pain in the ***. I assume its from my Truck Vault system, or the aluminum cover over my truck bed. They are both metal and would likely interfere with the compass, but I dont turn the drone on in or on the back of the truck so not sure why that happens. I also dont launch it from the back of the truck. Either way thats another possible issue.

The crash: I was hovering at 389 feet and the drone suddenly just started falling from the sky. The screen on my Smart RC controller just flipped, I was hoping the gimbal was having a fit but then I heard it screaming through the air. The motors were fighting to keep it steady, I lost track of it because when it started to fall it was obscured by a tree, and then I couldn't pick it up as it fell from the sky. I saw, via the screen, the impact on the ground, but I did not see it in real life. Luckily it landed in grass. When I retrieved it one of the eight propellers had snapped and was leaning against the drone. Therefore I think that would have broken on contact with the ground, and not in the air. This leads me to believe it was not a prop. Also the drone was still powered on when I got to it and had maintained a connection with the Smart RC on the way down. Having seen grass when it crashed through my screen was the only reason I did not have a heart attack walking over to pick it up, I knew it was on grass and not a roof or someones car.

I will attach the log and some pictures. The drone still turns on and gives me an error message about an overheating component and that it will shut off. The gimbal also runs through its routine but is not level, although it never is unless I adjust it. I have sent an email to DJI support and want them to look at the drone and try to figure out what happened. Also I have ordered a Mavic 3 Cine. My Mavic Mini did a good enough job replacing the MP2. The batteries don't discharge like the M2Pro's and the IQ was fully sufficient for the task at hand, saved me alot of time and money having it today.

Anyways. just wanted to share this cautionary tale. Its a good reminder as to why we try to avoid flying over people/cars/houses/etc. Also I am sure I probably did something wrong so I figured I would try to learn from it. Thanks for your help/concern/read.

Here is a dropbox public folder link to these files, a video of the drone still powering on, and the .csv file pulled from the logs via airdata.

Attachments

• mavic 4.jpeg
    mavic 4.jpeg
    521.2 KB · Views: 49
  • mavic 3.jpeg
    mavic 3.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 52
  • mavic 2.jpeg
    mavic 2.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 51
  • mavic 1.jpeg
    mavic 1.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 49
Can you post the actual .txt log? You can download that from airdata, it's labelled "original", and upload it to the dropbox. Or go to the "Notifications" section of airdata and press the "HD Flight Player" button, then drag the horizontal scroll slider all the way to the right.
Click the gear wheel and ensure that "Remote Joysticks" is ticked and then look at the indicated stick positions.
Do they approach the CSC position?
For the smart controller I do not know how to interpret the ± values in the csv.
If they are the CSC position or approach it, have a look in the control app and check if the "emergency stop mode" is set to "break down "or "always".
With the normal controller and a phone I think it is in the advanced settings of of the quad symbol menu or in the controller menu. You will probably need to connect the controller and drone to see the information.

Last edited:
Can you post the actual .txt log? You can download that from airdata, it's labelled "original", and upload it to the dropbox. Or go to the "Notifications" section of airdata and press the "HD Flight Player" button, then drag the horizontal scroll slider all the way to the right.
Click the gear wheel and ensure that "Remote Joysticks" is ticked and then look at the indicated stick positions.
Do they approach the CSC position?
For the smart controller I do not know how to interpret the ± values in the csv.
If they are the CSC position or approach it, have a look in the control app and check if the "emergency stop mode" is set to "break down "or "always".
With the normal controller and a phone I think it is in the advanced settings of of the quad symbol menu or in the controller menu. You will probably need to connect the controller and drone to see the information.
Hello, do you suspect that the emergency shutdown of the motors is or was possibly activated? About this, it can be executed in emergency shutdown of the motors even when the Sticks are not taken to the extreme or stop position that the sticks have. Stick, how to execute the emergency shutdown.? I wait your answer. Cheers.!

The numbers in the csv (see the attached) seem to indicate that the aileron and throttle were at one of their extreme displacements, with the throttle closed.
The elevator and rudder were near one of their extremes but I do not know how to interpret their ± sign. My not knowing the ± thing is relevant to the aileron, elevator and rudder.

If the "emergency stop mode" is set to "break down" I think the CSC position WILL NOT stop the motors in a normal flight (It doesn't with the Mavic Mini and I recollect it does not with the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom) but, if the "emergency stop mode" is set to "always", the CSC WILL stop the motors after a very short delay. Too short a delay to risk flying with it as the set setting.
If you look at the attached, the sticks are at or near their extremes for 1.1 sec, I have the recollection that the delay with a Mavic Mini is around 1.7sec.

So yes, I am a bit concerned that the OP may have had the sticks in or very near the CSC position with the 'wrong' setting for "emergency stop mode" and triggered a mid air shut down.
Hence my asking the OP to check the stick position in the animated replay.

I have seen at least two threads concerning Mavic xyz drones where an accidental CSC mid air motor stop is thought to have brought the drone down.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 17.55.28.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 17.55.28.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Duuuuh, Homer moment.
Compass heading decreasing means the drone is turning anti clockwise as it was in the last few seconds of the flight = the left stick 'outwards' with the RC1A/B.

Just looked at one of my M2P logs
+ve pitch (drone) equates to the drone flying backward i.e. right stick down
+ve roll (drone) equates to the drone moving right I.e. right stick 'outwards'

So we have, I think, both sticks down and out = one of the CSC positions :-(

If I am correct then the question is what was the "emergency stop mode" set to?

Last edited:
Reactions: rjwmorrell
Hello, do you suspect that the emergency shutdown of the motors is or was possibly activated? About this, it can be executed in emergency shutdown of the motors even when the Sticks are not taken to the extreme or stop position that the sticks have. Stick, how to execute the emergency shutdown.? I wait your answer. Cheers.!
The answer is going to be in the original txt log, but it's not included in the AirData CSV file.

@sar104 is the "emergency stop mode" setting recorded in the .txt log? If so where please? I can't see anything in mine that I think is it.
Ditto the DAT from the phone?
Is anything I typed in earlier posts wrong?

Last edited:
@sar104 is the "emergency stop mode" setting recorded in the .txt log? If so where please? I can't see anything in mine that I think is it.
Ditto the DAT from the phone?
Is anything I typed in earlier posts wrong?
Not explicitly, but the motor state is recorded, and that is the definitive indicator of motor shutdown. Your observations on the settings are correct for all current models as far as I know.

Oh excellent thanks, it looks like the last line of the CSV's capture the switch from true to false.

You guys were right. I just checked my settings in the App and watched the replay of the last flight on my Smart Controller. I was hovering over a house and I guess I was trying to move backwards and to the right while simultaneously decreasing altitude and rotating the orientation of the drone to frame my shot. And somehow, in over 1100 flights, I had never made that the same move. Here is the last frame from the replay.

Attachments

• Mavic SR 2.jpg
    Mavic SR 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Mavic SR1.jpg
    Mavic SR1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
You guys were right. I j
we still aren't all the way home to being certain that it was a mid air motor stop.
As far as I am concerned the uncertainty lies in the fact that the two outwards are not 100% and, if they did trigger the shut down, I would like to know where is their threshold?
I don't fly the M2P/Z with "always" set but I did scare the 'crop' out of myself by forgetting to switch it back to "breakdown" after an experiment.

Can you download the 'txt from airdata, on the "General" page of your log on Airdata it's labelled "original", then upload it to here or that drop box or DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help and post the resulting link here.

As per sar104's post the last line of the 'full' csv (airdata's csv is truncated) will show "isMotorUp" as being False or True and from that we can say if the motors stopped in mid air.
Somewhere I think I have a hand-held 'mid air' CSC log from a M2P/Z but it may take some finding.

we still aren't all the way home to being certain that it was a mid air motor stop.
As far as I am concerned the uncertainty lies in the fact that the two outwards are not 100% and, if they did trigger the shut down, I would like to know where is their threshold?
I don't fly the M2P/Z with "always" set but I did scare the 'crop' out of myself by forgetting to switch it back to "breakdown" after an experiment.

Can you download the 'txt from airdata, on the "General" page of your log on Airdata it's labelled "original", then upload it to here or that drop box or DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help and post the resulting link here.

As per sar104's post the last line of the 'full' csv (airdata's csv is truncated) will show "isMotorUp" as being False or True and from that we can say if the motors stopped in mid air.
Somewhere I think I have a hand-held 'mid air' CSC log from a M2P/Z but it may take some finding.

Ho hum well at least you have the reason. Bad luck. What are you going to do with it?

Send it to DJI to get a quote to fix it. Then probably sell it, the Smart RC, and my Mavic Mini and buy a Mini 3 Pro as my Backup to the Mavic 3. I think anyways.
If you take that course and get a new drone back do not activate it, it's a selling point though you will need to explain why it is unactivated. My zoom is such a drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom