DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Ottawa?

UA of more than 250 g but not more than 1 kg (very small)
It is proposed that a recreational or non-recreational UA pilot who operates a UA that weighs between 250 g and 1 kg and who operates it anywhere must adhere to the following requirements and limits including, but not limited to:

• (1) Pass a written knowledge test (similar to a boating (see footnote 4) test) to demonstrate aeronautical knowledge in specific subject areas, such as airspace classification and structure, the effects of weather and other areas;
  • (2) Be at least 14 years of age;
  • (3) Operate at the following minimum distance from an aerodrome: 3 nautical miles (NM) [5.56 km] from the centre of the aerodrome. The required distance from heliports and/or aerodromes used exclusively by helicopters would be 1 NM (1.85 km);
  • (4) Operate at least 100 feet (30.5 m) from a person. A distance of less than 100 feet laterally would be possible for operations if conditions such as a reduced maximum permitted speed of 10 knots (11.5 mph) and a minimum altitude of 100 feet are respected;
  • (5) Operate at a maximum distance of 0.25 NM (0.46 km) from the pilot;
  • (6) Operations over or within open-air assemblies of persons (see footnote 5) would not be allowed;
  • (7) Operate below 300 feet;
  • (8) Operate at less than 25 knots (29 mph); and
  • (9) Night operations would not be allowed.
Well, I'll be damned

I am curious, has anyone tried to get together at a venue (park, coffee shop,etc.)? I live in the Old Barrhaven area and I would love to chat about drone adventures. I prefer to stay off open forums to post specific spots but very happy to talk in person. The drone laws have left many in a state of shock and confusion. Everyone ends up asking "Where can I fly?". They seem to be in a big hurry to close off everything visually interesting with no apparent good reason...we all understand airports and large crowds but sheesh, this is getting out of hand.

We need advocates to find a compromise like:
  1. National Parks should be okay on the last weekend of each month between the hours of X and Y.
  2. Canal flyovers okay on day X, Y, Z, between this area, this time, and no higher than X.
  3. Offer normal hobbyist liability insurance at normal prices ( 100 - 150) per year...just like RC Planes (obvious stipulations apply, from a non-banned location, within safe prescribed limits, etc.
I would love to get together and discuss drone types, differences, video editing tools, tips for better experiences, troubleshooting. My fear is when we post exact locations that we have flown over/from...that someone will be busy trying to put a stop to it. It almost seems that people are opposed to aerial photography. Heck, if you are a photographer, this is the next step. The unique and unusual perspective is breathtaking. It's not just a hobby, it's a passion. I LOVE IT and I welcome anyone that has the same passion and is "reasonably" safe.

Cheers, fellow aviators,

Brian

I am curious, has anyone tried to get together at a venue (park, coffee shop,etc.)? I live in the Old Barrhaven area and I would love to chat about drone adventures. I prefer to stay off open forums to post specific spots but very happy to talk in person. The drone laws have left many in a state of shock and confusion. Everyone ends up asking "Where can I fly?". They seem to be in a big hurry to close off everything visually interesting with no apparent good reason...we all understand airports and large crowds but sheesh, this is getting out of hand.

We need advocates to find a compromise like:
  1. National Parks should be okay on the last weekend of each month between the hours of X and Y.
  2. Canal flyovers okay on day X, Y, Z, between this area, this time, and no higher than X.
  3. Offer normal hobbyist liability insurance at normal prices ( 100 - 150) per year...just like RC Planes (obvious stipulations apply, from a non-banned location, within safe prescribed limits, etc.
I would love to get together and discuss drone types, differences, video editing tools, tips for better experiences, troubleshooting. My fear is when we post exact locations that we have flown over/from...that someone will be busy trying to put a stop to it. It almost seems that people are opposed to aerial photography. Heck, if you are a photographer, this is the next step. The unique and unusual perspective is breathtaking. It's not just a hobby, it's a passion. I LOVE IT and I welcome anyone that has the same passion and is "reasonably" safe.

Cheers, fellow aviators,

Brian

While I was quite active last year when I first got my Mavic, I'm afraid that I've allowed it to sit on my shelf and gather dust since then for a variety of reasons (regulations being one). If there was some kind of non-MAAC drone enthusiasts gathering, I could be convinced to participate, sure.

You talk about needing an advocate... so, are you volunteering to be said advocate? :)

I would highly recommend that you check out the RC Aviators Canada Facebook group. It's a private group, but didn't ask any questions when I asked to join. While I haven't been paying much attention lately (reasons mentioned above), it is a very informative group that is highly focused on quality drone content. There is also Ottawa Multicopters, but they are mostly focused on FPV racing.

Another late one to the party, I live near the brown Dome at Huntclub and Greebank. Craig Henry area to be exact.
New pilot for MP, but have flown Drones and RC's including line control back in the 70/80's.

I'm in Ottawa (Kanata) - wouldn't mind meeting and discussing where we can do some decent flying.

I'm in Ottawa Barrhaven and would also love to discuss where to fly around the city.

Just bought a used DJI pro before to now realize all of the restrictions in place almost everywhere with these new rules ...

I'm in Barrhaven too.
Your safe to fly west of Woodroffe.

Thanks, I was still a bit confused with the regulations?

If I look at this government URL then we're still in the Airport red zone zone even past Greenbank and the the yellow class c zone goes way past that still:
UAV Site Selection Tool - National Research Council Canada

From there I read that class c is still restricted and require an approval first, "UAV Flight Authorization Request in Controlled Airspace Approval form":
Where Can I Fly My Drone? A Primer on Canadian Airspace

Thought I got to say that I'm a bit confused as the URL below say that the restriction is 5.6km from an airport and Greenbank would be past that but maybe they imposed something additional for the international Ottawa airport?:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/documents/rules-recreational-drones.pdf

If the infomration about Woodroffe is accurate, do you have a link to a good map of the Ottawa area with the restrictions?

For the distance from an airport it was indeed in the 3rd link I sent.

Also this image you posted could be confusing as the URL it comes from also says "The proposed rules on this page were for consultation only. They are not in effect and are subject to change. "
Proposed rules for drones in Canada - Transport Canada

For instance is there a test already we need to take?

Do you know why the other government URL I provided from my original post has an additional 9km class c ring around the airport?

Edit: not sure of 7km or 9km, but a large yellow zone basically around the international airport in addition to the red one.

This is what I go by.
Common sense applies also.
We know they come from the west alot so when it's not busy and we stay below 120m shouldn't be a problem.
After you fly around Barrhaven a few times you find that there is not much to see anyways except for learning ground station pro and other learning techniques I usually travel with mine.
And also wifi interference is high here.

Hey new to this form. Have had my drone since Nov and love it. Looking to chat with experienced flyers who live in the area. I have a Majic Air and have been exploring flight under the legal regulations. I find the best way to do this is set the limits in the controller. ie 90 m ABL and a 500 m distance. Then follow the 30m lateral rule. Lots of air to explore North of the river.

Reactions: Rowder
Hi everyone, new to Ottawa and just got me the Mavic A2S learning how to fly. Looking for fellow pilots to join up with to share adventures and flying along the Ottawa river.

Kanata here, Mavic Pro. Whereabouts are you flying?

Kanata here, Mavic Pro. Whereabouts are you flying?
Not too far from there, you know the big park with the horses building, at the far northwest corner sometimes, near the river, but looking for more inter places to go view abandoned buildings and places of such.

Reactions: Rowder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78