DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone know the physical construction of the remote antennas?

Brojon

Reactions
Essentially there's two ways to do it - feed from the end or feed from the middle.
It'd be cool if they were a true dipole fed from the middle.
I tried to get some of the local guys who've installed boosters to donate their old ones in the interest of science but no takers ;)

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I went through Navy Electronics Tech school about 56 years ago, so please forgive dated and sometimes flawed memory.

The remote uses a phased array consisting of two monopole antennas. Normally a monopole will have a doughnut shaped radiation pattern, but the phased array gives a stronger lobe in the forward and rear direction in this case. Since a full wavelength at 2.4 GHz is 4.9 inches and the antenna on my Smart Controller looks to be 3" (on the outside, the radiating element inside is probably a bit shorter) so figure it's a half wave, at 5.5 GHz that would be a full wave with no need for a ground plane in either case. This is all just speculation . . . as that school was long ago and my Navy job was fixing high power radio transmitters and crypto code equipment - later teaching the latter.

Not sure why you'd think phased array - totally not applicable to these units.
Basically I'm asking about the physical layout - reason being a yagi works best when driven from the middle.

The driven element of a Yagi is actually a dipole the directors and reflectors shape the beam.

The driven element of a Yagi is actually a dipole the directors and reflectors shape the beam.
Yes I know. Thus the question. If it's end driven it's a simple monopole antenna. Center fed it's a dipole.
A yagi has elements that act as a reflector into director elements.
It would be nice if someone could actually answer the question instead of trying to second guess it.
The question comes about because there's a 3D printed slip on yagi array which has potential to outperform the parabolic units so prevalent.
But it will not be near as effective if the stock antenna is a monopole driven from the end.

I tried to get some of the local guys who've installed boosters to donate their old ones in the interest of science but no takers
You can also look at various repair blog articles or videos and maybe find one where the cable snapped. Honestly, I doubt that there are full dipoles in those as they are tiny. Like in any other cheap Wifi ones maybe a 1/2 dipole like the ones below called rubber ducky.
ducky_element.jpg
ducky_inside_tn.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daamian86