DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone tried these filters?

View attachment 92964
No experience with filters. Wondering if anyone's tried these and if so, your opinions?

Thanks in advance.View attachment 92964
i have a set they are very light weight they have a reusable sticky pad that affixes them to the lens plus my set came with a couple of spares they do not seem to compromise the gimbals movements and i leave the ND 8 on mine all the time, also they do not impede the fitting of the gimbal protector

Last edited:
i have a set they are very light weight they have a reusable sticky pad that affixes them to the lens plus my set came with a couple of spares they do not seem to compromise the gimbals movements and i leave the ND16 on mine all the time, also they do not impede the fitting of the gimbal protector
Thank you very much! They're on the way....

Reactions: old man mavic
I’d be really interested to hear your rationale for leaving the filter on all the time.

it protects the lense and i am very happy with the video and pics i get with it on

Ok, just so long as you realize it will reduce image quality some what.
sorry i must apologise in fact they are ND8 not16 my mistake

PL Polarized? If so how good is it at blocking reflections over water, since I know you do fly over water. OMM? ?The ones I use on my phantoms work well for that.
Spotting fish

Well I do have experience in photography and normally putting a piece of plastic over your lens is considered a no no unless there is a good reason.
It reduces image quality and cuts the amount of light, which increases noise.
And protection is not generally considered a good reason as in the case of a drone about the only thing that could damage your lens is a crash, and that filter will no do much in a crash.
The good reasons are to reduce depth of field by requiring a larger aperture (smaller f number = larger aperture).
Not an issue on a drone as you have wide angle lens focused to infinity.
The next reason is to get a slower shutter speed to get blur like if you want to generate blur, like in pictures of waterfalls.

Let's see some pictures taken with the filter (and without).
Yes- in circumstances where the available illumination provides for correct exposure, without increasing ISO or applying a TV value where camera shake/motion blur might be an issue, the resultant images with and without filter will be indistinguishable. To suggest a blanket reduction in perceivable image quality in all circumstances suggests a lack of appreciation of how ND filters operate.

well all i can say is the filter gives me a nicer video I dont do editing and only record in 1080p 30fps and on both my MPP and MM the filter gives me a better picture ,i am no expert on photography but i know what looks good for me when i do post pics on here they are just straight from the SD card for me the flying is what i enjoy the most and the video i capture is a bonus and gives me memory of the day to view when i cant fly

well all i can say is the filter gives me a nicer video I dont do editing and only record in 1080p 30fps and on both my MPP and MM the filter gives me a better picture ,i am no expert on photography but i know what looks good for me when i do post pics on here they are just straight from the SD card for me the flying is what i enjoy the most and the video i capture is a bonus and gives me memory of the day to view when i cant fly
That’s what it’s all about Mate....

Reactions: old man mavic
Well... today I sadly have to report something not very pleasant about the SunnyLife filters.
H8b8d15cd3db64407ac5954ddbdd2b995Z.jpg

My ND-PL filters are all quite a bit off. My ND4PL and ND16PL are about 90° off thus not polarizing at all under most conditions, while my ND8PL and ND32PL are off by about 30°, so they're still usable yet far from ideal. I sadly discovered the elements are also fixed.

Good quality glass isn't enough when you're after PL. I definitely do not recommend these now.

Well... today I sadly have to report something not very pleasant about the SunnyLife filters.

My ND-PL filters are all quite a bit off. My ND4PL and ND16PL are about 90° off thus not polarizing at all under most conditions, while my ND8PL and ND32PL are off by about 30°, so they're still usable yet far from ideal. I sadly discovered the elements are also fixed.

Good quality glass isn't enough when you're after PL. I definitely do not recommend these now.
If the filter element can't be user adjusted (that's what Im getting from your description) it will be off by a varied amount depending on the camera orientation. There is no set ideal orientation for every use case.

Well I do have experience in photography and normally putting a piece of plastic over your lens is considered a no no unless there is a good reason.
It reduces image quality and cuts the amount of light, which increases noise.
And protection is not generally considered a good reason as in the case of a drone about the only thing that could damage your lens is a crash, and that filter will no do much in a crash.
The good reasons are to reduce depth of field by requiring a larger aperture (smaller f number = larger aperture).
Not an issue on a drone as you have wide angle lens focused to infinity.
The next reason is to get a slower shutter speed to get blur like if you want to generate blur, like in pictures of waterfalls.

I have never seen photographic filter made with plastic. Normally a multicoated filter with not deteriorate the image and can also add some protection.

Reactions: Sunscreen

I have the standard filters, they produce vignettes when taking photos also, not very good quality

Tbh I am very pleased with the optical qualities, and even the filter shape, can be retained with the gimbal protector and offer some shade like a lens hood.

The problem is with the polarization, I've even thought about the polarization direction being scattered across filters to offer a flexible solution for every hour of the day... but it just seems random and I don't like this.... randomness. :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet