DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Anyone tried this idea ?

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
Dunno if this has been covered before , but wanted to showcase a particular road as a video. The brainwave I got was to attached the drone folded up but powered on to a brush handle using electric tape , and stick it out the window while driving . You can see the shots at 0.14 & 0.30 . Anyways might be an idea for someone to try.
Whilst you could use a dashcam to same effect it would probably be spoiled by the reflection and glare from the windscreen.

You are a braver man than me Gunga Din, I’ll stick to dash cams thank you. Great looking area, thanks for sharing.
Regards

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Very nice video. I bought a tripod mount for my A2 that would probably work the same. It can hold just the drone folded up or the drone and the RC with tablet.

Fantastic footage.... it really demonstrates to me how a filmmaker could employ some of this technique to make professional video at a low cost.

Great idea in a pinch, but a GoPro mounted on the hood of the car would have probably been safer. :). Also, the speed of the footage of the road is too fast. The video goes from a leisurely pace to manic and back....very disorienting. Good idea though.

I’ve just purchased a DJI Pocket 2 to be the other factor in improving my aerial videos, to ground & aerial. Nice Idea, and certainly cost effective, but for me it’s little messy with broom handles and gaffa tape.

Dunno if this has been covered before , but wanted to showcase a particular road as a video. The brainwave I got was to attached the drone folded up but powered on to a brush handle using electric tape , and stick it out the window while driving . You can see the shots at 0.14 & 0.30 . Anyways might be an idea for someone to try.
Whilst you could use a dashcam to same effect it would probably be spoiled by the reflection and glare from the windscreen.
Good to see the innovation, just a few concerns where the flight was
over the highway and towards oncoming cars. The potential to distract the drivers is a negative; better to stay high and wide and maybe use the Air 2 digital zoom. Nice scenery. Thanks for posting. ????

Been there, done that. Sometimes you have to think outside the box in order to get the footage that you want.
I live where it’s ridiculously windy ALL THE TIME, so I often shoot either hand held or strap my drone to a tripod. You can get some very nice footage that way and then pair it with drone shots from the air (on the rare day it’s not too horribly windy).

Nice job by the way!

Good to see the innovation, just a few concerns where the flight was
over the highway and towards oncoming cars. The potential to distract the drivers is a negative; better to stay high and wide and maybe use the Air 2 digital zoom. Nice scenery. Thanks for posting. ????
I doubt any drivers even noticed the drone. I would hope that other drivers aren't looking up, rather than down at the road, like they should be.

Thanks for sharing!

Nice video, very clever! For a really cinematic shot, you could fly the drone high in the air, then come down to the point where the drone would be sticking out of the car window on its stick, zipping along over the road. Then, put the drone on the stick, out the car window and drive the same route. With a little practice and planning, and good editing, it would look like the drone swooped down and kept going along the road. There is a shot kinda like this in the opening of the "Shining."

Nice video, very clever! For a really cinematic shot, you could fly the drone high in the air, then come down to the point where the drone would be sticking out of the car window on its stick, zipping along over the road. Then, put the drone on the stick, out the car window and drive the same route. With a little practice and planning, and good editing, it would look like the drone swooped down and kept going along the road. There is a shot kinda like this in the opening of the "Shining."
This was my proof of concept to see would it actually work , but what your suggesting is exactly the type of shot I want to capture in future videos. Great minds and all that .

I’ve just purchased a DJI Pocket 2 to be the other factor in improving my aerial videos, to ground & aerial. Nice Idea, and certainly cost effective, but for me it’s little messy with broom handles and gaffa tape.
I know but its waaaaay cheaper , and DJI have enough of my hard earned cash for one year . Could you p.m me a link to some of your videos for reference and research purposes ?. Love to see how others master this kind of shot

I always wondered if this would be useful, I think it’s a good idea , as long as it attached securely.

Attachments

• 2CE81596-D866-4B80-8954-525AB663C1BF.png
    2CE81596-D866-4B80-8954-525AB663C1BF.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
I doubt any drivers even noticed the drone. I would hope that other drivers aren't looking up, rather than down at the road, like they should be.
The drone has strobes so is potentially a distraction and they are easily seen at the altitudes in the video. Why is it that drone pilots keep finding excuses for this type of flying when the reality is right in front of them? Stay away from high speed highways and urban roads, especially at low altitudes. The same quality of video could easily be achieved at a higher elevation and by flying parallel and away from the road.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin