DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with DJI Go4?

macfawlty

Reactions
I was having issues running Go4 with my iPad mini 2 and spur of the moment walked into a Verizon store and got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I hadn’t researched it ahead of time, assumed it would be more capable than my older iPad mini. Any experience with the Tab A? I may not have time to test it before traveling and need to know whether it’s gonna work well or if I should return it while I still can.

Well, If memory serves they are hit an d miss. Check out this thread..
Samsung Galaxy Tab A Help

Ipad mini 2 is pretty old. The mini 4s are good, Best buy had them for $249? Walmart has the 9.7 2018 ipad, (not pro) for the same price.

Any experience with the Tab A?
I have used it just a few months ago and it works fine. But it was too big so I have stopped using it. What version of Tab A do you have though? Mine was the Tab A 10.1.

I was having issues running Go4 with my iPad mini 2 and spur of the moment walked into a Verizon store and got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I hadn’t researched it ahead of time, assumed it would be more capable than my older iPad mini. Any experience with the Tab A? I may not have time to test it before traveling and need to know whether it’s gonna work well or if I should return it while I still can.
my tab A is terrible the picture breaks up and becomes distorted samsung tab a version 7.1.1

I'd read some of the threads here before creating a new one. A lot more negative reviews for the Galaxy Tab A than positive and the positive ones required rollbacks, etc. I have NO PATIENCE for any more issues. I dropped a lot of $$ on the Mavic 2 FlyMore to replace my P3 4k, which I was never entirely satisfied with even after installing the Itelite DBS. I almost lost the Mavic 2 on the first flight after my iPad mini 2 dropped signal to the controller with limited battery left. I get nowhere near the flight ranges and a lot of signal dropping every time I fly. I suspect a big part of it is the bloated and buggy Go4 app. That said, I need a tablet that's gonna work reliably PERIOD! This Tab A is going back to the Verizon store. The iPad 4 however, is quite a bit more $$.

I have been using the tab S3 without any hiccups. Some people have reported problems with it though. I am running it in debug mode and just make sure nothing is running in the background. I have about 40 flights all without a disconnect.

I use a TAB A 10.1 Sprint LTE sometimes. It works well if you are not running several apps in the background. Overall I like it.

I'd read some of the threads here before creating a new one. A lot more negative reviews for the Galaxy Tab A than positive and the positive ones required rollbacks, etc. I have NO PATIENCE for any more issues. I dropped a lot of $$ on the Mavic 2 FlyMore to replace my P3 4k, which I was never entirely satisfied with even after installing the Itelite DBS. I almost lost the Mavic 2 on the first flight after my iPad mini 2 dropped signal to the controller with limited battery left. I get nowhere near the flight ranges and a lot of signal dropping every time I fly. I suspect a big part of it is the bloated and buggy Go4 app. That said, I need a tablet that's gonna work reliably PERIOD! This Tab A is going back to the Verizon store. The iPad 4 however, is quite a bit more $$.
Mobile device has nothing to do with range.

Mobile device has nothing to do with range.
Yes, I realize. I could have provided a more accurate description of what was happening. Several things, not necessarily related. I was getting errors; 'mobile device CPU overloaded'. Extended flight range causes similar display issues and the two issues can be separate or symbiotic. I'm gonna have to research optimizing the iPad 2 and the Mavic 2 settings. I could have something else contributing to the CPU overload. Display feed resolution, Bluetooth, any variety of things I could check.

Anyway, I returned the Galaxy Tab A today. I don't need any more equipment that never seems to work properly... I got a house full of it. I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything I own that works to my satisfaction. That's how I came up with my nickname/tagline...

macfawlty
'everything I own is broken'

Hi I have a Samsung galaxy tab A, I bought to fly my MP pro but it failed to do what I needed, it was freezing up so I just connected with my s8, it never fails to connect now, I now have a very expensive an expensive beer mat.

Yes, I realize. I could have provided a more accurate description of what was happening. Several things, not necessarily related. I was getting errors; 'mobile device CPU overloaded'. Extended flight range causes similar display issues and the two issues can be separate or symbiotic. I'm gonna have to research optimizing the iPad 2 and the Mavic 2 settings. I could have something else contributing to the CPU overload. Display feed resolution, Bluetooth, any variety of things I could check.

Anyway, I returned the Galaxy Tab A today. I don't need any more equipment that never seems to work properly... I got a house full of it. I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything I own that works to my satisfaction. That's how I came up with my nickname/tagline...

macfawlty
'everything I own is broken'

Well you already took it back so my comment is mute.... cept I'd like to defend the 10 " galaxy tab A. Once I read on this forum that you need to turn the app on and then the controller it has worked beautifully...

Good to know it's working for you with the workaround. Anyway, I returned the Tab and decided to do more research next time. I could go back and buy it again, but I didn't want to go through re-buying apps that I already bought for iOS only to find out the Galaxy Tab A would never work properly. Workarounds are quite annoying, but it's one of those facts of life. Nothing seems to work reliably, consistently and under a variety of conditions and circumstances. Problem is, you can't easily determine root cause... or solutions. Every time I fly, there are unique problems. 3rd party apps like Litchi, AutoPilot, Vertical Studio look great on paper, but reliability with regards to drone and device compatibility is always a question. They might half-work or not. Might work fine until a firmware upgrade, then maybe your bird just drops into the ocean for no reason. Fortunately, I got insurance. $60/year for both my drones from StateFarm.

I could just fly with my Galaxy s9+, but it's just too small a display for my eyes. I use the iPad mini cause it fits in the Mavic 2 controller arms like the Tab A. I have an iPad Air as well (the wife's), so I might just get a mount for the bigger tablet. I really prefer a big display.

The Tab A 10.1" (2016 Model) has 2 gb of RAM, and works perfect for me. I use and older version of the Go app so it's not resource hungry and ratting me out to the NFZ gods (yes, I never even updated my Mavic/controller itself, still on the original .400 for the AC, from over a year and a half ago...)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980