DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone using M2Z with DroneDeploy???

Ok, that clears up the camera confusion for me, thanks. I didn't realize Mavic1 and zoom had same camera. I may go out and fly today with the M2Z and P4PV2 and compare results. Thanks guys.
They don't have the same camera. Not even close! 60 mbps vs.100 mbps and no zoom vs. 2x optical zoom. Sensor sizes are the same on the MP/MPP and the M2Z. That's about it.

P4PV2 should be the clear winner because of the mechanical shutter. The electronic shutter in the M2 is not designed for moving still photos taken during mapping, unlike the P4P mechanical shutter.

I work around this by stopping at each photopoint or flying slower, depending on the job size and desired resolution.

Ive been using Emlid Reach RS+’s to get my GCP’s, for $800 it isnt a bad unit and has really good accuracy.

I saw that! Do you only need one? Could you explain a little more about how you use it, what it's like, things to know before I buy?

Thanks man!

I saw that! Do you only need one? Could you explain a little more about how you use it, what it's like, things to know before I buy?

Thanks man!

You don’t need it unless you are giving your client photos that they want to use for orthophotos (distortion corrected aerial images), for geotagging to use with GIS where they will me creating data layers with it or adding them on (street lines, property boundary lines and other survey points that must match up Exactly with the lines on your photos) and as mentioned above for more precise volumetric measurements.

It can be tedious setting up and surveying in GCP’s by hand though, depending on how large of an area you have and the terrain. You might have to put out and survey in GPS coordinates for 10 targets or more on a 5 acre lot.

Most surveying pilots spend the money and put a survey grade RTK GPS unit on their drone, and it Geo tags each photo with the corrected information. Emlid sells such a unit- its on their website and is quite small. P4s can handle the weight, but I don’t think it will be suitable for the M2’s .

Edit: Oh yeah, and unless you are a licensed surveyor, don’t let your clients think that you were doing a legal survey. They can come back and bite you if they assume what you provided is a legal property document. A dummy at an old job of mine had that issue with some maps he made, it was a mess!

Last edited:
I work around this by stopping at each photopoint or flying slower, depending on the job size and desired resolution.
That definitely works, but significantly slows down the mapping process, where time is money. Probably cheaper just to get a second P4P as a backup.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78