DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aperture and Shutter priority modes

Monsoon

Reactions
I am trying to keep the MP2 in the f2.8-f4 range as there seems to be consensus (and my own observations) that these apertures are the sharpest, then it drops off quite a bit. I put the camera into shutter priority mode with aperture set at say f4, but as I adjust shutter speed with the aperture/shutter adjustment dial both aperture and shutter seem to be randomly adjusted rather than just shutter.

When in aperture priority, the same thing happens, the dial adjusts both aperture and shutter instead of just aperture. Am I doing something wrong here? Do I have to shoot only in manual mode to keep aperture at say f4?

Thanks

In S mode you adjust the shutter to a certain value and the aperture obviously also changes as a result to maintain the same exposure, and will continue moving as light conditions change. In A mode you adjust the aperture to a fixed value, and shutter will change to adapt to light.

So if you want a certain aperture you need to be in aperture priority mode, set that, and let shutter speed vary to do its thing.

Strange, aperture priority should give a constant aperture same for shutter it should stay constant, that's the whole point of priority modes.

When in aperture priority, the same thing happens, the dial adjusts both aperture and shutter instead of just aperture.
Am I doing something wrong here?
It sounds that way.
Are you sure you are setting Aperture Priority and not Auto?
A=Aperture Priority, S= Shutter Priority
i-WM2rGMt-L.png

Do I have to shoot only in manual mode to keep aperture at say f4?
Of course not. That's what Aperture Priority is for.
You set the aperture you want and the metering handles the shutter speed.

Thank you everyone. I think I am running into problems when I set Aperture priority, when I want to either increase or decrease the overall exposure. Do I need to go into the EV adjustment tool as per the app screen shot from Meta4 to then adjust overall exposure either up or down, for a given scene?

Do I need to go into the EV adjustment tool as per the app screen shot from Meta4 to then adjust overall exposure either up or down, for a given scene?
The idea is .. you set the aperture (and ISO .. don't leave that on Auto) that you want and the camera metering will choose an appropriate shutter speed to achieve proper exposure.
You let the camera do the metering and it will be adjusting the shutter speed without you needing to do anything.
But you can use Exposure Compensation (what you called EV adjustment) if you want to vary up or down from what the metering sets for particular lighting situations.

Reactions: _gonzales_
Yes exposure compensation becomes a pain to operate once you're in S/A mode. I believe you can assign it to the controller's 5D button, but there's still a quirk like not being able to adjust during recording.

Re thinking this through so ignore my previous post :rolleyes:
You want to use manual settings, the priority settings will change both because if you alter one then the other also has to change to keep the correct exposure.

Reactions: Thomas B
Re thinking this through so ignore my previous post :rolleyes:
You want to use manual settings, the priority settings will change both because if you alter one then the other also has to change to keep the correct exposure.
You were right the first time.
In aperture priority, you set the aperture and it stays set.
The camera adjusts the shutter speed to give proper exposure.

How is he right?
How does he know what the OP wants to use, considering the OP was asking about using aperture priority mode?
Most control is here. Easy to learn. Easy to get the best fstop.
Ultimately OP will get better pics, especially in some custom modes or in changing light.

Most control is here. Easy to learn. Easy to get the best fstop.
Ultimately OP will get better pics, especially in some custom modes or in changing light.
That's rubbish.
The easiest way to get the "best" F stop is to set it in Aperture Priority mode.
There's nothing magical or special about manual control that gives better pics.
A properly exposed image is a properly exposed image, regardless of what exposure mode setting is used.
The idea that you must use manual to get good images is nonsense and confuses inexperienced fliers.

Reactions: Kilrah and Woodoo
That's rubbish.
The easiest way to get the "best" F stop is to set it in Aperture Priority mode.
There's nothing magical or special about manual control that gives better pics.
A properly exposed image is a properly exposed image, regardless of what exposure mode setting is used.
The idea that you must use manual to get good images is nonsense and confuses inexperienced fliers.
In order of your post:

Politely disagree... but that’s as it should be in a forum on many points.

I like to select my F stop for specific use/ effect/depth.

True, it simply allows more flexibility and perhaps creativity.

True... when the exposure suits the photographer’s purpose.

Never said good images couldn’t be taken in any mode the drone offers..., you may well be correct about new flyers. But if they read the manual they’ll get the idea... or can either explore modes or shoot full auto.

I like to select my F stop for specific use/ effect/depth.
That sounds like using Aperture Priority
Never said good images couldn’t be taken in any mode the drone offers..., you may well be correct about new flyers.
An inexperienced photographer confused by the suggestion that using Manual Exposure Mode is "better" can easily make a mess of things.
But using Aperture Priority they will almost always get good exposures, just like seasoned pros, many of whom use Exposure Priority do.

That sounds like using Aperture Priority

An inexperienced photographer confused by the suggestion that using Manual Exposure Mode is "better" can easily make a mess of things.
But using Aperture Priority they will almost always get good exposures, just like seasoned pros, many of whom use Exposure Priority do.
Agree with the latter, no disagreement. It’s a big learning curve.
As far as aperture. I use manual mode in order to select the aperture in manual for a given shot.... especially low light.

Coming from „earth based“ photography, as far as I know, the idea behind fixed aperture is on one hand always having the maximum picture sharpness. Which is in average for the Mav2Pro around f=4
Lower values will not bring more picture sharpness.
Going to higher values you will end up with diffraction issues.
Or on the other hand, your are looking for a special „depth of field“ i.e. Portrait photography.
The latter is not of big interrest as the „ hyperfocal distance“ is very small.
Oh, one more thing...
As a Bavarian, english is not my native language. Nonetheless I hope everyone understands what I want to say.

Cheers, Flint

Reactions: Thomas B
Monsoon Says “I am trying to keep the MP2 in the f2.8-f4 range “ so why not set it manually ?
If you use Aperture Priority, you do set your aperture manually and it stays set.
But you leave the camera to choose an appropriate shutterspeed to give proper exposure.
If you choose manual control, as well as flying the drone, you have to constantly monitor exposure and adjust shutter speed.
Kind of pointless when you have equipment that would take care of that for you.

Using aperture priority mode helps produce a beautiful bokeh blur to! ... aperture and the camera will control the shutter speed.

Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority. Take a look at which mode to use when, how to work with them, and when it pays to choose manual

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead