DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

App Disconnects

brian3x

Reactions
So, let me start by saying I’m relatively new, got the Mavic day after Memorial Day.

I have since flow over 30 times and 6.5 hrs in total.

I have been using an iPhone 7 w/iOS 11 Beta, using side cable. Not a single issue except some high wind pop ups a couple of times.

On 7/1, I upgraded to the 9 firmware. Flew, no issues a couple other times.

Made my first trip away from my house, plugged in my iPhone. Powered up controller. Powered up Mav, launched app. Same steps I’ve taken for all flights. The Phone connect noise never happened. DJIGO4 app, won’t connect.

Quit app, relaunch, nothing.

Power everything down, backup, same sequence. App won’t connect.

While on,I unplugged the iPhone, plugged back in, and heard the connection tone and it then was connected.

So I’m flying....drone about 2k feet away, 200 ft up. App disconnects. I hit RTH as I make sure it’s set and when it got closer I manually landed it. Scary.

Change battery, restart everything and try again. This time I lose the video feed, while still flying I unplug the iPhone and back again, and it then was fine.

Flew a 3rd time no issues.

Yesterday, tested at home. Flew fine. No issues. Then took the drone to a friends. As I’m flying again about 2k feet away (plenty of LOS, and controller signal),App disconnects again.

I landed it, RTH,Then pulled that little cable out on the left side and used an iPhone USB I had in my car. No issues.

So I need thoughts, do you believe this is just that little cable going bad after being opened and closed 30+ times or, is this a firmware issue ?

I have Goggles coming and won’t use this cable again, however I’ve lost all the trust I’ve built up flying this last month.

I just realized that after the FIRST occurrence, after switching batteries and restarting everything it automatically reset it’s own IMU....

So you feel these instances were just cause to a failing cable ? ***hoping that is all it was. Don’t want to downgrade firmware if I don’t have to

I would just do a few flights using the usb to verify problems are related to the other port or cable.

Definitely part of the plan. The problem is we can’t un-ring a bell, lol.

It also is curious to me, that I’m not on home Wifi. While I am well aware a network connection is not required to fly, it is the only other differentiating data point I can think of.

Seen quite a few people on this forum that have had issues with the stock cable that plugs into the side of the controller. However, when they try the bottom USB port with a different cable, their problems magically disappear....

I’ve truly enjoyed flying this much more than I anticipated and the 4k footage I’ve been able to grab plays incredibly on my 75” 4k TV.

Can’t wait to get to Hawaii, Key West, Australia with it !!

Reactions: nealh
I would recommend signing out of the app, removing the app completely from the phone and reinstalling it. I also like others have said use the USB port in your iPhone cable cord. Sounds like to me either a cord issue or corrupt app issue

I'm a brand new Mavic user (but I've been flying other DJI drones for years). I received it just yesterday and was having a hell of a time getting the newer Go 4 app to connect and stay connected, even in my office, which led me to these threads. My house is in basically the worst possible cell coverage scenario in that even with phone calls the iPhone wants to keep deciding it has cell coverage (when it's really inadequate), switching away from wifi, and immediately dropping the call. When I'd connect the USB on the remote, it would connect, give me a still, and then immediately go grey/disconnected. In airplane mode, it never disconnects so there's clearly something that causes the app to get confused and disconnect (but not necessarily realize it; it'll still say connected until you try to do something).

So tl;dr if you're in a poor coverage area, definitely put the phone in airplane mode if you want reliability. I've not had a single disconnect since doing that but if I disable airplane mode it almost instantly still disconnects in my environment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54