DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple laptops.

sammackay23

Reactions
Hi all, just bought a 2nd hand Macbook air 13" 2014 version. Basically because my desktop couldn't handle photoshop anymore. I took a 4k60fps video and tried to play it back and it didn't handle it well at all.

My question is what apple laptops will playback 4k without issue?

I recently saw a review on the mini5 that did 4k well if you want to go smaller.

That actually looks quite good. Might look deeper into that. Another thing I like to do is my 360 photos using Microsoft ice and photoshop. Wonder can that be done on a mini 5

Hi all, just bought a 2nd hand Macbook air 13" 2014 version. Basically because my desktop couldn't handle photoshop anymore. I took a 4k60fps video and tried to play it back and it didn't handle it well at all.

There are a lot the can and can’t handle 4K6fps. The 2016 Pros and newer should be able to handle the playback With no problem. The Air 2018 and newer should also.

Are you using QuickTime or a third party software like VLC for the playback? Have you double checked the player is up to date?

The problem you are seeing is because the Intel processor in your laptop doesn't support hardware acceleration for the video codec you are recording in. 4k60fps on the MA2 requires you to use h.265 which is a newer codec. If you recorded in 4k30fps using the h.264 codec, I suspect it would play perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Made2Phly
The problem you are seeing is because the Intel processor in your laptop doesn't support hardware acceleration for the video codec you are recording in. 4k60fps on the MA2 requires you to use h.265 which is a newer codec. If you recorded in 4k30fps using the h.264 codec, I suspect it would play perfectly fine.
Ah ok I will have a try with the 4k30 and see if that's ok. I guess it will be very hard to tell the difference between 30 and 60fps to a recreational user like me. Hope that helps me, will report back with results.

I am using a Ipad Mini 5 and everything has been flawless. Editing with IMovie and it also works great. No lag.

Reactions: MA2 317

I have a robust 2018 Macbook Pro, e.g 32 gigs of RAM. It does not play well at all with the 4K h.265 codec. It bogs down so much that I can't work with it.

With 4K vid and h.264 codec, using FCPX, the Mac Book is like a hot knife through butter.

Last edited:

2014 Mac models are probably too old for current video formats, specially H.265 as noted.. You should look for a model newer than late 2017-2018... with at least 16GB ram, though 8gb maybe enough depending on what your doing.

You may also be able to use later model iPad pro's as well...

I am using a 2012 MacBook Pro. It handles most of the video natively (in finder level) until you get to H265 codec, then it greatly depends on resolution and frame rate. 4K60 needs proxies for editing, otherwise dropped frames....

Thanks for the replies, took some video at 4k30 .h264 no issues with playback, although not 4k obviously, I still had a steady playback. Not that interested abou 4k60fps if I can use 30fps .h264. Will see how it handles editing it on say IMovie or something like that. If I could use ICE on a mini 5 that would probably push me towards that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman