DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Application to Organize Photos/Videos

maximeeso

Reactions
So I've had my Mavic for a few months now and in the meantime I've accumulated about 600GB+ of videos and photos that are all just dumped into multiple folders sorted (somewhat) by date. I had to exchange a few different Mavics so my numbering scheme is all messed up and I probably have 10 versions of DJI_0001-0020.. etc.

I have tried some Google searches and forum searches without much success for what I am envisioning:

Is there any sort of application that exists that would allow me to organize all of my videos in a similar method to the way that the DJI Flight Record is organized.. Where you can sort by date, location, etc.. In addition I wish there was a way I could pull up a map and see all of my flights on there, possibly color-coded by age (even if it was just the home point location, not the entire "flight path")..

Does anyone know of anything close to what I am talking about?

This is pretty much what Lightroom does, plus it does extremely fine processing on still photos.

Yes I have heard good things about Lightroom and pictures.. So Lightroom would also be able to handle my videos as well? Not necessarily to edit them, but to at least keep them organized?

Lightroom simply makes a folder like 2017-09-11 and anything from that day goes in there.
Its all indexed from within the program which is helpful too, however I often bypass that and just search by date.

There's really no need to buy it for that alone.
You want to make parent folder 2017 then make folders with similar format name ^ and you could add keywords on the end to help - like beach, castle

It can import videos but quite limited what you can do to edit them however you can grab a still from video, do colour editing and copy/paste the changes to the whole clip.
So its rather like applying a preset or LUT - only you can't really make a cut if you only wanted to adjust part of a file.

Lightroom simply makes a folder like 2017-09-11 and anything from that day goes in there.
Its all indexed from within the program which is helpful too, however I often bypass that and just search by date.

There's really no need to buy it for that alone.
You want to make parent folder 2017 then make folders with similar format name ^ and you could add keywords on the end to help - like beach, castle

It can import videos but quite limited what you can do to edit them however you can grab a still from video, do colour editing and copy/paste the changes to the whole clip.
So its rather like applying a preset or LUT - only you can't really make a cut if you only wanted to adjust part of a file.

True, copying this simple hierarchy is easy, but doing so gives you nothing like the visual catalog of Lightroom, nor the different ways of ranking and tagging photos. But you're right, it would be a shame to buy it for just that purpose; most of it's value is in developing photos. And it doesn't do much with videos beyond cataloging them. I don't know of any real DAM (Digital Asset Manager) for video clips, though if you organize clips by project you have a browser of sorts in both Premier and Final Cut Pro.

As you say though, the OP really seems to just want a way of organizing and labeling clips and pictures. This exists within the Finder on Mac, and similarly on Windows as long as you follow a certain discipline.

I created software that may be useful: Video Hub App. It extracts 10 screenshots per video and shows you a gallery (thumbnail or filmstrip view) that you can swiftly browse, search, and preview (PC, Mac, and Linux).

Hope it's useful to at least some of you: Video Hub App -- feedback very welcome!

4.jpg

Finding photos based on all metadata as you mention, time, location, people, tags and other relevant attributes is something I've missed in all available tools out there. I ended up creating my own tool called Picular with the focus on getting my photos organized and so I now easily can search and find any selection of photos very quickly.
It's still in closed beta and many features yet to come but it's easy to sign up for a free beta test invite here: Picular

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+