DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apps for new pilots to install

sab35263

Reactions
Hello,

Any recommendations for apps to install for new pilots? I assume I will need a weather app and a sectional app (something like SkyVector)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

B4YouFly is number one on the list. It's the FAA's tool for finding airspace limitations at any point in the US.

Aloft Air Control ranks a strong second for me.

You'll also want a copy of your drone's user manual and, if you're flying recreationally, a copy of the rules of the community based organization you adhere to.

I like the Windy.com app available in the app stores.

Here's a giant list of stuff you may not know you need until you see it.

Don't forget the Iheart app so you can listen to Bob and Tom on 98.5 The Fox in the mornings while you get your gear ready.

"State law man. Look it up!" -Donnie Baker.

Last edited:
Reactions: sab35263 and Cafguy
Windy.com is my absolute favorite weather app! I don't use it for drone flights much, but just for weather in a general sense.

Windy.com is my absolute favorite weather app! I don't use it for drone flights much, but just for weather in a general sense.

I like the flow of the arrows on the map.

Should the aircraft lose GPS and go into Atti-mode, at least I'll have an idea of which way it drifted with the breeze.

But I fly VLOS most times so it's a non issue.

I Just saw the story DUDE Can you Believe we posted this earlier???? R.I.P RON SEXTON 😔
He will be Missed. I swear to God

Hello,

Any recommendations for apps to install for new pilots? I assume I will need a weather app and a sectional app (something like SkyVector)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
There are so many helpful apps for forecasts, weather, restrictions. It depends on what kind of flying you want to do. Here is a list of great apps.

UAV Forecast
B4UFly
Aloft
NOAA Weather App
Windy
Flightradar24
LiveATC
opensky
Aviationweather

Happy and Safe Flying.

Be4ufly gives you wind at altitude; which is very important. You can choose what altitude you want.
Anything else, I look up and do my own weather report with my Mark 1 Eye Ball.

I agree with those who said B4UFLY which works in conjunction with ALOFT when you need permission to fly in controlled airspace, and UAV Forecast. Don’t forget to get your TRUST certification from the FAA if you don’t already have it. Enjoy the hobby.

Reactions: sab35263
Be4ufly gives you wind at altitude; which is very important. You can choose what altitude you want.
Anything else, I look up and do my own weather report with my Mark 1 Eye Ball.
B4YouFly doesn't include weather forecasts, but I put much more faith in the on-site Mark 1 Eyeball than on forecasts anyway. Forecasts are fine for general planning, but once at the site, there's nothing to compare with your own observations.

Airdata UAV also gives you a nice overview of the weather data and suggestions whether is safe to fly, including wind speeds at different heights. I also have Litchi installed to be able to work with waypoints on the Mini2.

Last edited:
B4YouFly is number one on the list. It's the FAA's tool for finding airspace limitations at any point in the US.

Aloft Air Control ranks a strong second for me.

You'll also want a copy of your drone's user manual and, if you're flying recreationally, a copy of the rules of the community based organization you adhere to.
I just moved to the sunshine state and will like to find out more about this. I am flying as a recreational pilot for now. I just never understood CBO's and how do you join one. I will appreciate help on this

I just moved to the sunshine state and will like to find out more about this. I am flying as a recreational pilot for now. I just never understood CBO's and how do you join one. I will appreciate help on this
The FAA's 44809 regulations for recreational drone operations requires that the pilot abides by the safety guidelines of a CBO. There's no requirement to be a member of one.

"(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration."

The list of FAA approved CBOs is here. There are currently four. The Flite Test Community Test Association seems to be best suited to the type of flying most often discussed here, despite their cutesy spelling.

Reactions: redserv and MA2 317
The FAA's 44809 regulations for recreational drone operations requires that the pilot abides by the safety guidelines of a CBO. There's no requirement to be a member of one.

"(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration."

The list of FAA approved CBOs is here. There are currently four. The Flite Test Community Test Association seems to be best suited to the type of flying most often discussed here, despite their cutesy spelling.

Thank you so much for your time and effort. Appreciated 👍

I'm happy to help. I'm still trying to pay back a little for all the good information and advice I've received here. I've got a way to go.
Awesome!! That's a really good quality. Keep it up bro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR