DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Automation app for Mavic Mini Pro 4?

sdcinvan

Reactions
Greetings all,

I thought automation would be straight forward, but now it seems that isn't true.

Basically, I am all looking for, in regards to automation, is an app that can control pre-programmed camera shots - Panning, looking up, down, yaw all at specific times. That's all. I couldn't find anything about this capability built into the DJI Fly app. and all the apps that I looked at (i.e. Dronelink) are not compatible with the Mavic Mini Pro 4. :(

I understand that I am better off with an Android rather than an iOS device because of better API support.

Any advice?

Thank you

Reactions: Cafguy
Have you looked into the native waypoint mode (through the DJI Fly app) that the Mini 4P have? You can there give certain commands regarding yaw angle, gimbal angle, start stop video, take a pic, wait periods... and if you don't want the drone to fly to another position in between all that, just stack several waypoint in the same place where the different waypoints contain separate commands ending with a chosen wait period before moving on to the nest waypoint with it's separate commands.

I understand that I am better off with an Android rather than an iOS device because of better API support.
You may just start a debate with that question I have always used Apple because thats what I had I don't think they will ever have a situation where one brand of phone is actually Better for the average user IMO

Reactions: sdcinvan
As far as I know, DJI hasnt released a SDK for the Mini 4 Pro yet. If their past practices still hold, they are leaning toward Android SDK support only.

Reactions: sdcinvan
Have you looked into the native waypoint mode (through the DJI Fly app) that the Mini 4P have? You can there give certain commands regarding yaw angle, gimbal angle, start stop video, take a pic, wait periods... and if you don't want the drone to fly to another position in between all that, just stack several waypoint in the same place where the different waypoints contain separate commands ending with a chosen wait period before moving on to the nest waypoint with it's separate commands.

Actually, I haven't owned a Mavic Mini in about 7 months. I am just about to purchase my next Mavic Mini. I didn't know that the DJI Fly app had this capability. "wait times"? I guess that doesn't mean that I can't set a specific clock time. I guess that will do.

Thank you. :)

You may just start a debate with that question I have always used Apple because thats what I had I don't think they will ever have a situation where one brand of phone is actually Better for the average user IMO

It's not about whether one is better than the other, this was a question about API support priority. I am an iOS user, so I'd rather stick to iOS if possible. It appears that DJI's priority is Android.

Reactions: Cafguy
As far as I know, DJI hasnt released a SDK for the Mini 4 Pro yet. If their past practices still hold, they are leaning toward Android SDK support only.

I keep hearing the same.

But it's bizarre because when I owned the first Mavic Mini, a few years ago, I swear that at that time, the Android DJI Fly app was almost unusable compared to the iOS app.

I agree, the included waypoint functionality not only does what the OP was looking for, but unlike litchi will do the smoothest transition between waypoints. So if waypoint 1 is 30 feet elevation and looking at POI (say top of water tower) and waypoint 2 60 feet up, pulled back another 100 feet, and still gimble orientation at the top of the water tower, the drone will fly this super smooth mission between those two waypoints, better than 90% of the new pilots.

but unlike litchi will do the smoothest transition between waypoints.
This statement is incorrect. The smoothness of a waypoint mission is dependent on the functionality of the drone and not the software being used to fly it.

Drones supporting on-board waypoint flights are able to fly a mission much more smoothly than drones which do not. This is a function of the drone. Using Litchi to fly a drone that supports on-board waypoints will result in a mission that is just as smooth as using DJI software. It is only when DJI does not build on-board waypoint support into a drone (while still providing an MSDK) that Litchi must resort to using "Virtual Sticks" to control the drone during a waypoint mission that the smoothness is reduced.

Reactions: slup
>>This statement is incorrect. The smoothness of a waypoint mission is dependent on the functionality of the drone and not the software being used to fly it.

>>Drones supporting on-board waypoint flights are able to fly a mission much more smoothly than drones which do not.
First you said I was incorrect, then you agreed with me. Your second point is exactly the point I was trying to make since the Air3 does have built in waypoints.

Waypoints would provide exactly the functionality the OP needed, " pre-programmed camera shots - Panning, looking up, down, yaw all at specific times" and by comparison the waypoints would be much smoother than previous drones, like the Air2S relying on virtual sticks.

I can see how this can be confusing if you have only used Litchi with a drone that does not support on-board waypoints. I am addressing your statement where you said:
but unlike litchi will do the smoothest transition between waypoints
This statement is at minimum, misleading. The smoothness of a waypoint mission is a function of how that drone supports waypoint missions, not Litchi. Contrary to what you stated, Litchi is perfectly able to cause the drone to smoothly transition between waypoints, provided that the drone supports on-board waypoints. Simply stating that Litchi is unable to cause the drone to smoothly transition between waypoints is incorrect and would lead an unsuspecting reader to think that Litchi is inadequate in this regard, which is false.

I'm not sure how much more clearly I can say that.

I can see how this can be confusing if you have only used Litchi with a drone that does not support on-board waypoints. I am addressing your statement where you said:

This statement is at minimum, misleading. The smoothness of a waypoint mission is a function of how that drone supports waypoint missions, not Litchi. Contrary to what you stated, Litchi is perfectly able to cause the drone to smoothly transition between waypoints, provided that the drone supports on-board waypoints. Simply stating that Litchi is unable to cause the drone to smoothly transition between waypoints is incorrect and would lead an unsuspecting reader to think that Litchi is inadequate in this regard, which is false.

I'm not sure how much more clearly I can say that.
I will defer to your expertise with Litchi. yes it may be just as smooth as waypoints on the drones that have waypoints, but from my point of view, the only time I have used/would use litchi is on a drone that doesn't support waypoints. At least for my purposes there is no reason to use litchi if my drone already has waypoints, I'm sure others have different needs, and you have a lot of good reasons to use Litchi over my limited use cases.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne