DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are all Samsung tablets which have 4GB RAM suitable

I'm now wondering if there are any Android tablets that ship with completely vanilla late-version Android on board. If one or more manufacturers could produce a full featured tablet and resist the urge to stuff it with proprietary op sys mods and bloatware they might be onto a winner. Cost of production and support would likely be lower as well.

Heck, I'd buy one.

I'm now wondering if there are any Android tablets that ship with completely vanilla late-version Android on board. If one or more manufacturers could produce a full featured tablet and resist the urge to stuff it with proprietary op sys mods and bloatware they might be onto a winner. Cost of production and support would likely be lower as well.

Heck, I'd buy one.
Even google has given up. If you have to have Android, Samsung tablets are still the best bet but the good ones cost more than an iPad.

This is the model Samsung Tab A that you are looking for SM-T290NZKAXAR, bear in mind it's only 8inch as well.

You'll probably have to get it from the USA, for example

Probably don't have to go for a current model Ipad Pro, the current Ipad Air looks capable with the A12 chip

Here it is on Amazon
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB Wifi Android 9.0 Pie Tablet Black (2019) - SM-T290NZKAXAR
by SAMSUNG
4.4 out of 5 stars 886 ratings

| 346 answered questions

List Price:$149.99
Price:$127.95 & FREE Returns

This is not on the list but does anyone know for sure if this will work with the Mavic Air

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" Wi-Fi Tablet 128GB - Black
★★★★★★★★★★4.5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" Wi-Fi Tablet 128GB - Black
(1431)

Item 1346217

Model SM-T510NZKGXAR
It seems you are located in the USA so there is a good chance that it would be suitable. You need to determine if it has a full 64bit Android operating system as DJI Fly app demands it. It has been pointed out that the screen brightness is only 300nits and I think I read someone in another thread suggesting tablets which have 350 nits.

It seems you are located in the USA so there is a good chance that it would be suitable. You need to determine if it has a full 64bit Android operating system as DJI Fly app demands it. It has been pointed out that the screen brightness is only 300nits and I think I read someone in another thread suggesting tablets which have 350 nits.
Dude, stop misleading people as this model has been confirmed to be incompatible with the Fly app.

I would probably stay away from Samsung tablets when it comes to DJI Fly there just not well specified, however there latest 64 bit phones are ok.

You can't afford to scrimp and save with a device for DJI Fly, as DJI develop it and add more functions to support the MA2, it going to bloat and become more cpu intensive.
What barely works now may not be able to handle the processing needs of later versions.

Cheaper tablets are cheaper because the don't use the best panels and chipsets, a 350 nit brightness rating will not cut it in sunlight.
The Ipad Mini 5 is the best 8in tablet for DJI fly at the moment

I have never seen the term Nits before but understand it to be the brightness a screen can show.
I have read 300 isn't bright enough and now that 350 is also not bright enough in the sunlight. Just what should we be 'aiming at'?
Many manufacturers don't seem to list screen brightness in nits in their specifications which makes it all the more difficult.
What about tablets with a reported (in reviews) screen brightness of 435 nits?

Last edited:
I have never seen the term Nites before but understand it to be the brightness a screen can show.
I have read 300 isn't bright enough and now that 350 is also not bright enough in the sunlight. Just what should we be 'aiming at'?
Many manufacturers don't seem to list screen brightness in nits in their specifications which makes it all the more difficult.
What about tablets with a reported (in reviews) screen brightness of 435 nits?

Nothing is going to work well in the direct aussie sun without a sun hood unless your up around 1000-2000 nits.
A lot of the phones can reach a peak brightness up to around 1000 nits for short periods of time in high contrast situations, but they can't maintain this due to the heat generated.
For a tablet 450-500 nits is already very good if you need it to be compatible with DJI Fly which requires the 64bit technical architecture.

If your using DJI Go4 the 32bit DJI Crystal Sky tablets get up to 1000 (5.5in) and 2000 nits (7.85in) but these are very expensive, now a bit technically outdated and haven't been well supported by DJI with limited upgrades to DJI Go4. (only version 4.3.16 at the moment). They are also have limited android OS's which means a lot of apps don't run or run well on them, but they do work well with DJI Go4 and Litchi.

DJI Also have their own integrated Smart Controller which uses the same display panel as he 5.5in Crystal Sky, but these controllers only work with the M2P and the P4P V2.0 running DJI G04/ Litchi and have the same OS issues as the Crystal Sky's. The Smart Controller transmission system is Ocusync 2.0 so that is why it only supports the M2P and P4P V2.0, DJI has promised support for the MA2 but this has yet to be developed.

Thanks. I checked out tablets with an 8 inch screen but found them too small for my aging eyesight which made a 10 inch tablet a must which limited my choices a lot. Unfortunately I have to live with the fact that manufacturers are more interested in the younger generation especially as they seem to have the most disposable income.
I just had a PGY hood delivered.

Dude, stop misleading people as this model has been confirmed to be incompatible with the Fly app.
Where has this model been confirmed to be incompatible? I can only find a list of models which ARE compatible. Can we rely on EVERY tablet/phone which is NOT on the list to be incompatible? Who maintains that list? Some weeks ago I contacted DJI asking if two tablets were compatible (they were not on the list but available for purchase) and DJI replied stating that they did not know as they had not tested.

Last edited:
Use a combination of the search function here and Google and you'll find the answers. It was initially confirmed incompatible when it was first released for the Mini and again for the Air 2.

A true list of ALL what's compatible does not exist. It's all based on actual user results which is based on trail and error. DJI can only tell you what they have confirmed working but it's fairly limited because there are so many different manufacturers/models of Android phones that they have not yet tested.

Unfortunately the info DJI tech support provides is inconsistent at best and I am being nice. Your best bet is observing what the users have tested on these forums.

Thanks for the update which hopefully will assist others.
Strange though that you gets stutters as I know someone who has the Galaxy Tab A 8" who claims no stutters. Could it be that you had other apps running in the background?

So what did you end up buying? I'm in the same predicament and its a virtual minefield trying to find a android device that works . Not alone does the hardware have to be up to snuff but the version of Android , device firmware and DJI Fly version all have to play nice.
I recon I'll reluctantly buy a 2020 IPAD , seems the apple alternative just works much as I hate to admit it

Hello
I purchased a Samsung TAB 6 LITE and the main reason for that is that it is about the cheapest well known brand tablet which has the 64bit version of Android OS (the Fly app will not work on a 32 bit Android system) and a reasonably fast CPU.
?TIP - As manufacturers seem reluctant to advertise if the Android is 32bit or 64bit I found that if a tablet comes with 64GB memory it usually runs the 64bit version of Android as without special software 32 bit cannot 'address' more than 32GB memory. To be 100% sure ask the sales assistant if you can attempt to locate the DJI Fly app on Google Play (you don't have to download it, just check to see if it is selectable). If it is not listed then it is not a 64bit version of Android.

Also the NITS (screen brightness) is reasonable (up to 435 - the higher the better - I have read to ensure it is at least 350). This is important when viewing the screen outdoors in bright light. There are other tablets with higher screen brightness (nits) but they are usually a lot more expensive so you budget comes into play here.
I almost purchased an Ipad MINI (about the same cost as the TAB 6 LITE) and would have except that the screen is 7.9" and with my aging eyes I felt the extra screen size would be very beneficial as some of the information displayed (eg number of satellites) is very small although if you tap that icon it will display information larger AND it is color coded red not enough, white ok. Note it seems that all Apple tablets will run the Fly app.

Hope this helps.

Aha Cork. Visited there 17 years ago. Very nice all along the south coast especially Waterville.

John

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes