DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are all Samsung tablets which have 4GB RAM suitable

Hello
I purchased a Samsung TAB 6 LITE and the main reason for that is that it is about the cheapest well known brand tablet which has the 64bit version of Android OS (the Fly app will not work on a 32 bit Android system) and a reasonably fast CPU.
?TIP - As manufacturers seem reluctant to advertise if the Android is 32bit or 64bit I found that if a tablet comes with 64GB memory it usually runs the 64bit version of Android as without special software 32 bit cannot 'address' more than 32GB memory. To be 100% sure ask the sales assistant if you can attempt to locate the DJI Fly app on Google Play (you don't have to download it, just check to see if it is selectable). If it is not listed then it is not a 64bit version of Android.

Also the NITS (screen brightness) is reasonable (up to 435 - the higher the better - I have read to ensure it is at least 350). This is important when viewing the screen outdoors in bright light. There are other tablets with higher screen brightness (nits) but they are usually a lot more expensive so you budget comes into play here.
I almost purchased an Ipad MINI (about the same cost as the TAB 6 LITE) and would have except that the screen is 7.9" and with my aging eyes I felt the extra screen size would be very beneficial as some of the information displayed (eg number of satellites) is very small although if you tap that icon it will display information larger AND it is color coded red not enough, white ok. Note it seems that all Apple tablets will run the Fly app.

Hope this helps.

Aha Cork. Visited there 17 years ago. Very nice all along the south coast especially Waterville.

John
32 bit can't access more than 4GB of memory, and that's pushing it.

Hello
I purchased a Samsung TAB 6 LITE and the main reason for that is that it is about the cheapest well known brand tablet which has the 64bit version of Android OS (the Fly app will not work on a 32 bit Android system) and a reasonably fast CPU.
[emoji362]TIP - As manufacturers seem reluctant to advertise if the Android is 32bit or 64bit I found that if a tablet comes with 64GB memory it usually runs the 64bit version of Android as without special software 32 bit cannot 'address' more than 32GB memory. To be 100% sure ask the sales assistant if you can attempt to locate the DJI Fly app on Google Play (you don't have to download it, just check to see if it is selectable). If it is not listed then it is not a 64bit version of Android.

Also the NITS (screen brightness) is reasonable (up to 435 - the higher the better - I have read to ensure it is at least 350). This is important when viewing the screen outdoors in bright light. There are other tablets with higher screen brightness (nits) but they are usually a lot more expensive so you budget comes into play here.
I almost purchased an Ipad MINI (about the same cost as the TAB 6 LITE) and would have except that the screen is 7.9" and with my aging eyes I felt the extra screen size would be very beneficial as some of the information displayed (eg number of satellites) is very small although if you tap that icon it will display information larger AND it is color coded red not enough, white ok. Note it seems that all Apple tablets will run the Fly app.

Hope this helps.

Aha Cork. Visited there 17 years ago. Very nice all along the south coast especially Waterville.

John
Don't confuse memory with storage. I have yet to find any Android with 32GB RAM, let alone 64GB. It can have that much storage though.

I got it wrong and here is what it should be
-
Most if not all tablets with 4GB RAM will have Android 64 bit installed. If the RAM is LESS than 4GB then be careful as it might only have Android 32 bit.

Thanks for that , I took the plunge and ordered the tab 6 last night. I hate apple products , their anti right to repair and built in obsolescence has ruined the electronics industry but that's a rant for a different day. Like you the old peepers aren't what the used to be and the extra bit of screen should help me avoid those pesky powerlines. Does your tablet cache the video from the flight to the tablet memory? If it would boost performance i'd be willing to turn this off whilst just keeping the drone sd card recordings. Waterville is nice alright though not right now , its cold wet and windy.

Thanks for that , I took the plunge and ordered the tab 6 last night. I hate apple products , their anti right to repair and built in obsolescence has ruined the electronics industry but that's a rant for a different day. Like you the old peepers aren't what the used to be and the extra bit of screen should help me avoid those pesky powerlines. Does your tablet cache the video from the flight to the tablet memory? If it would boost performance i'd be willing to turn this off whilst just keeping the drone sd card recordings. Waterville is nice alright though not right now , its cold wet and windy.
You set that in the Go4 app, but it probably won't slow your healthy tablet down that much.

Does your tablet cache the video from the flight to the tablet memory?
I have never looked but as per lookouts reply it should not make any difference as the CPU is a an Octa-Core Cortex-A73 @2.3 GHz which is reasonably fast.
Your 'name' suggests you own the same car as our old second car (we also have a much newer CX5) which will be 21 years old in March and still going nearly as good as it did 21 years ago. My mechanic told me years ago not to get rid of it as it is the best Mazda ever made, even better than the new ones (apart from the features of new cars of course).

LOL , yup still driving my Mazda 6 , still looks and drive great.
EM , like the car I'm a bit of a miser so i bought the Tab 6 lite , that doesn't have the safe ummph as the full fat tab 6 which is why I was wondering about the cache recordings

I have never looked but as per lookouts reply it should not make any difference as the CPU is a an Octa-Core Cortex-A73 @2.3 GHz which is reasonably fast.
Your 'name' suggests you own the same car as our old second car (we also have a much newer CX5) which will be 21 years old in March and still going nearly as good as it did 21 years ago. My mechanic told me years ago not to get rid of it as it is the best Mazda ever made, even better than the new ones (apart from the features of new cars of course).
I never could quite tell what the difference was between 323 and the 929...

We are a bit 'off the track' and someone will point that out for sure BUT the 323 was a 'small family car' and the 929 was a 'full size car' and stopped production 6 years before the 323.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes