DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are all Samsung tablets which have 4GB RAM suitable

jarnie

Reactions
Knowing that the FJI FLY app needs a fully 64 bit screen device I am wondering if I can safely assume that all tablets which have 4GB RAM would be fully 64 bit eg 64 bit version of the operating system installed.
I have ready that a 32 bit operating system cannot access all of 4GB RAM and so I am thinking that if 4GB RAM then the operating system would have to be 64 bit.
Am I correct?

No, don't generalize and make such assumptions without having the actual specs. You are completely misunderstanding the meaning of 32 & 64 bit architectures.

Since you're not tech savvy, keep it simple and just stick to what's works.

Before posting repeatedly on the same subject, use the search function on this site and reSEARCH what people have confirmed working and not working with the Fly app.

Actually, the answer to the OP is no. A 32 bit system can address 4 GB of RAM. It's the upper limit without using various tricks. So you cannot assume 4 GB of RAM = 64 bit addressability.

A 64 bit system can theoretically address 16 Exabytes.

And hey, I don't carry this stuff around in my head, I had to look it up.

Bit size, or 'word length' refers to how many unique memory locations are available to an app. Think of a ginormous piece of graph paper, referencing a given cell's X & Y locations allows you to reference it. The bigger the piece of paper the more bits you need.

The operating system software stores memory locations in lists called 'registers'. A 32 bit system's registers store 32 bit wide memory locations. Likewise, 64 bit register locations are 64 bits wide.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
I have looked at Samsung web site and all their models and not once is the operating system mentioned except what version of Android is installed. NEVER how many bits.
I have even 'chatted' online with someone at Samsung asking the same question and even he couldn't answer the question.
I know what a 64 bit system is (the BUS is 64 bits WIDE and so can move 64 bits of data at the same time).
Samsung Galaxy S6 is listed in Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help BUT as a phone not a tablet (Galaxy Tab S6 Lite | Samsung Australia) so I am none the wiser.
I just don't want to purchase a tablet, get it home and find it isn't compatible with DJI FLY.
Maybe if you all mentioned which particular model tablet you have and I can choose from them.

It's more than just bus width, it's the ability to access locations in memory. Bus widths are typically multiples of system word length, for example for a 64 bit architecture the data bus might be 128 wide.

Last edited:
Since you're not tech savvy, keep it simple and just stick to what's works.

Before posting repeatedly on the same subject, use the search function on this site and reSEARCH what people have confirmed working and not working with the Fly app.

I may not be 100% tech savy but I used to be a computer programmer and grew up through mainframe computers and Digital (brand) mini computers (PDP1140 and PDP1170 16 bit computers with maximum compiled programs size 32MB) and so any program which exceeded that size had to be split up and sections not required in memory at the same time as the main part were 'overlaid' and those parts was 'swapped' into memory and those 'chunks' not being executed were 'swapped' out. Then came the Digital (brand) VAX (Virtual Address eXtension) and life was a lot easier as the computer looked after the swapping. I have programmed in Pascal, Basic and even Assembler (machine code for those who don't know what that is). You should not make assumptions that I am not tech savy.

And I DID reSEARCH and could NOT find the answer to this 'problem' introduced with DJI FLY (ie now requiring a full 64 bit tablet) which really boils down to if the tablet has the 64 bit version of Android installed and the processor architecture and bus width only come into the 'equation' as being required for a 64 bit operating system.

My wife's, 3 month old, Samsung tablet has a 64 bit processor (and maybe a 64 bit bus too) but it not compatible with DJI FLY. I think that people in the north America (UAS and Canada) have no idea what is going on here in Australia as I know (from reSEARCH in these forums) that the North American version of the SAMSUNG TAB A 8 inch with only 2GB of RAM IS compatible but the Australian version (same RAM, same processor) is NOT and (I assume) this is because although the processor is 64 bit the Android operating system is only 32bit. Check out 'that list' and you will see the one listed has a particular model (last 2 characters different from the Australian version but still a Samsung Tab A 8"). Also I could NOT find ANY tablets in that list which are 2019 let alone 2020 and the retailers don't have stocks of such old models.

Of course I could go out and buy one of the Samsung tablets in that list but many are not available in Australia and the ones available are high end and the 'nose bleed'/watery eyes price range and being a retiree I need to keep my expenditure as low as I can.

I did create this thread with 'heart in hand" as I can't even find out from the tech department of Samsung Australia if a particular model has the 64 bit Android operating system. It is NOT as easy finding something compatible in Australia as most people seem to think.

Why don't I get an Apple Ipad I seem to almost hear someone asking? I could go to Apple Ipad however the latest Ipad (7th generation) doesn't seem to be as powerful (benchmark tests) unless one of the learned readers of this thread can assure me that the IPAD (5th, 6th or 7th generation) has plenty of (cpu) power for DJI FLY.

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram
I may not be 100% tech savy but I used to be a computer programmer and grew up through mainframe computers and Digital (brand) mini computers (PDP1140 AND PDP1170) and had to design programs to fit into 32MB (yes NOT 32GB which was unheard of) by breaking them up into small 'chunks' and doing what was known as 'overlaying' where the part (chunk) of the program which was being executed was 'swapped' into memory and those 'chunks' not being executed were 'swapped' out. Then came the 'virtual machines' and life was a lot easier. I have programmed in Pascal, Basic and even Assembler (machine code for those who don't know what that is). You should not make assumptions that I am not tech savy.

And I DID reSEARCH and could NOT find the answer to this 'problem' introduced with DJI FLY (ie now requiring a full 64 bit tablet) which really boils down to if the tablet has the 64 bit version of Android installed and the processor architecture and bus width only come into the 'equation' as being required for a 64 bit operating system.

My wife's, 3 month old, Samsung tablet has a 64 bit processor (and maybe a 64 bit bus too) but it not compatible with DJI FLY. I think that people in the north America (UAS and Canada) have no idea what is going on here in Australia as I know (from reSEARCH in these forums) that the North American version of the SAMSUNG TAB A 8 inch with only 2GB of RAM IS compatible but the Australian version (same RAM, same processor) is NOT and (I assume) this is because although the processor is 64 bit the Android operating system is only 32bit. Check out 'that list' and you will see the one listed has a particular model (last 2 characters different from the Australian version but still a Samsung Tab A 8"). Also I could NOT find ANY tablets in that list which are 2019 let alone 2020 and the retailers don't have stocks of such old models.

Of course I could go out and buy one of the Samsung tablets in that list but many are not available in Australia and the ones available are high end and the 'nose bleed'/watery eyes price range and being a retiree I need to keep my expenditure as low as I can.

I did create this thread with 'heart in hand" as I can't even find out from the tech department of Samsung Australia if a particular model has the 64 bit Android operating system. It is NOT as easy finding something compatible in Australia as most people seem to think.

Why don't I get an Apple Ipad I seem to almost hear someone asking? I could go to Apple Ipad however the latest Ipad (7th generation) doesn't seem to be as powerful (benchmark tests) unless one of the learned readers of this thread can assure me that the IPAD (5th, 6th or 7th generation) has plenty of (cpu) power for DJI FLY.

The ipad or ipad mini needs to have better than a A8 chip with 64‑bit architecture to be able to handle DJI Fly safely.
The Ipad Mini 4 (A8 chip) works at the moment but you do get the "mobile device CPU fully loaded" error message from time to time.

DJI has listed all the Ipad PRO models after and including the 9.7in as being compatible with DJI Fly

Thanks Iannes,

I was aware of that information (but thanks for reminding me anyway) but I really would prefer Android rather than Ios firstly because I have never had an Ipad or Iphone (although I am sure I would be ok with the change) and secondly I have read of people who hate Ios and I don't know why (and I guess there could also be those who hate Android but I am familiar with it) and also have read that because they have a slight different screen size ratio (2160 X 1620) you have to manually stretch the image (DJI AIR) in one direction and why do that if you don't have to? Have you experienced that 'problem'?
I note that the Ipad Pro sells for around $1700 and more which is more than I can afford. I looked at the Mini but I had trouble reading the text under the icons even with my reading glasses.

I will (reluctantly) purchase an Ipad 7th generation (latest model with A10 processor https://www.apple.com/au/ipad-10.2/specs/) if I can't work out which of the lower priced Samsung 10 inch tablets here in Australia is compatible with DJI FLY. Someone suggested to just get one "which works" but how can you do that if all those currently on sale in Australia (this years model) aren't listed and I don't think any retailer will allow me to return a tablet I have opened (box), setup (Google account) which I then find can't download and install FLY.

Thanks again.

Thanks Iannes,

I was aware of that information (but thanks for reminding me anyway) but I really would prefer Android rather than Ios firstly because I have never had an Ipad or Iphone (although I am sure I would be ok with the change) and secondly I have read of people who hate Ios and I don't know why (and I guess there could also be those who hate Android but I am familiar with it) and also have read that because they have a slight different screen size ratio (2160 X 1620) you have to manually stretch the image (DJI AIR) in one direction and why do that if you don't have to? Have you experienced that 'problem'?
I note that the Ipad Pro sells for around $1700 and more which is more than I can afford. I looked at the Mini but I had trouble reading the text under the icons even with my reading glasses.

I will (reluctantly) purchase an Ipad 7th generation (latest model with A10 processor https://www.apple.com/au/ipad-10.2/specs/) if I can't work out which of the lower priced Samsung 10 inch tablets here in Australia is compatible with DJI FLY. Someone suggested to just get one "which works" but how can you do that if all those currently on sale in Australia (this years model) aren't listed and I don't think any retailer will allow me to return a tablet I have opened (box), setup (Google account) which I then find can't download and install FLY.

Thanks again.

This is the model Samsung Tab A that you are looking for SM-T290NZKAXAR, bear in mind it's only 8inch as well.

You'll probably have to get it from the USA, for example

Probably don't have to go for a current model Ipad Pro, the current Ipad Air looks capable with the A12 chip

Thanks again Iannes. I want to purchase a NEW tablet 10 inch from Australia to get warranty.
Tomorrow my plan is to take a copy of the .apk file for installation of the DJI AIR (on micro USB) to my local department store and see if I can see if it will install on their demonstration Samsung. I know that when a tablet is not compatible you get a message during (attempted) installation that the tablet is not compatible. If it installs ok I will buy it.

Thanks again Iannes. I want to purchase a NEW tablet 10 inch from Australia to get warranty.
Tomorrow my plan is to take a copy of the .apk file for installation of the DJI AIR (on micro USB) to my local department store and see if I can see if it will install on their demonstration Samsung. I know that when a tablet is not compatible you get a message during (attempted) installation that the tablet is not compatible. If it installs ok I will buy it.

Be careful, sometimes it will install but run like a dog in real conditions

Thanks. I have found a comparison between the Samsung and the Ipad 7th generation and the Samsung comes out better.
look here -

The Tab S6 Lite is using a low-end Exynos 9611 processor, while the iPad is using Apple’s A10 Fusion processor.
That translates into a fairly significant performance disparity. To put it into context, we use the benchmarking app Geekbench 5 to help measure a device’s overall performance. The higher the numbers, the better the device performs. The Geekbench 5 scores for the Tab S6 Lite are 332 for single-core performance and 1,222 for multi-core. The 7th generation iPad scored a 646 on single-core and a 851 on multi-core.

Seems that the Samsung should be noticably faster and surely works ok with Fly since others have claimed the slower Samsung Tab A 8 inch (works ok with FLY.

What is your opinion?

samsung s6 lite whoo hoo small.jpg
Could someone please add this to the list of tablets which work with DJI FLY (and it has the 64bit version of Android!).
Samsung - SM-P610NZAAXSA - Galaxy Tab S6 Lite Wi-Fi 64GB

There are many factors in play, not least the completely different operating systems. The only way to know for sure would be to thoroughly test both.

Thanks but how do I test both without buying both?
I have found benchtest comparisons online which stated 'faster' throughput for the Samsung S6 lite than the Ipad 7th generation both of which are about the same price. Even the much slower Samsung Tab A is reported by others in other threads as being ok with FLY and NO lagging.
Refer -
The Tab S6 Lite is using a low-end Exynos 9611 processor, while the iPad is using Apple’s A10 Fusion processor.
That translates into a fairly significant performance disparity. To put it into context, we use the benchmarking app Geekbench 5 to help measure a device’s overall performance. The higher the numbers, the better the device performs. The Geekbench 5 scores for the Tab S6 Lite are 332 for single-core performance and 1,222 for multi-core. The 7th generation iPad scored a 646 on single-core and a 851 on multi-core.

There are many factors in play, not least the completely different operating systems. The only way to know for sure would be to thoroughly test both.

I agree with Rehkram, you can't compare the performance of DJI Fly's IOS and Android versions they have been written for different operating platforms and are fundamentally different applications.
One may work better than the other depending on a whole range of design and operating system features.

I'm more probably inclined to the Ipads as none of the Samsung Tablets are listed on the DJI compatibility list even though some people have them working.
Future changes and updates to DJI Fly may render the current working but unsupported devices incompatible, which is a little bit of a risk given that DJI Fly is still very new.
Historically DJI apps have always worked better with Apple's IOS as it's a standardised operating system across a range of devices, Android on the other hand has been customised for the UI by manufacturers this can lead to compatibility issues.

This is the expanded list for IOS devices, apparently it's compatible with many earlier IPads, which may may make the buying options cheaper.
1594955912627.png

Unfortunately I can't find one for Android tablets other than the one from Phantom help which has sketchy support for the Samsung Tablets.

I think if you want to go with Samsung you'll need to get one and try it out, we can be hopeful that the latest versions will work without any issues.

Last edited:
Thanks
I can understand that IOS doesn't change much whereas Android probably does and as such the FLY app was possibly developed more for IOS than Android BUT I wished I had known this before. The more I research and post results here the more things such as this come out of the woodwork as they say.
I have no knowledge of Apple or IOS whereas I am confident with my knowledge of WINDOWS and also Android but to a lesser extent.
apparently it's compatible with many earlier IPads, which may may make the buying options cheaper.
With electrical devices I prefer not to purchase used devices just to save money.

It would have been great if the FLY app documentation had mentioned right up front that the IOS version of the app may operate better than the Android app although I guess DJI couldn't really say that "in public". I couldn't find anything on that even on the FLY SDK (developer) web site.
In the end if FLY operates to my satisfaction I will be very happy. All I can do is rely on what others who own Android tablets say about their experiences with FLY and so far I have not seen any negative comments.

Some of the early 64-bit had only 36-bit addressable space, so not much more than say 4GB.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan