DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TriplTek 8 Pro - Poor video performance

DmitryGlinka

Reactions
Greetings comrades

Up until recently was just using the H.264 video encoding (4K/30FPS/MP4/Normal).
I was able to download via the DJI Fly app directly to my TriplTek 8 Pro and the only issue I had was that video playback on the TriplTek 8Pro is often a bit jittery, not 100% smooth but not too bad.

I have recently tried taking video using H.265 (HEVC), also in 4K,30FPS,MP4,Normal mode. The theory for this change is so that I can get longer video footage on the same size file due to the superior compression. I understand that encoding/decoding with H.265 consumes greater CPU but this TriplTek 8Pro is quite new and running on what I had expected to be decent hardware with Android10.

However, with H.265 videos I can no longer download the videos directly to my TriplTek 8Pro via the DJI Fly app, the error I get is "Only JPEG Images and H.264 videos are downloadable." This sucks... I have no problem downloading the same to either my iPhone11, or my Asus ZenPad Z500M (Android7) which is 7years old. Both of these other devices also playback both H.264 and H.265 video super smooth, way better than my TriplTek 8Pro.

When I copy the H.265 video from the microSD card to my TriplTek 8Pro the playback just chokes up. I have downloaded MX Player from the Google Play store and this app plays back the video much better but still the playback is jittery and not smooth at all.

So, I did a comparison with the hardware specification of my 2016 ASUS ZenPad with the TriplTek:

Model ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M (P027)
  • Year 2016
  • Size 9.7 inches
  • Resolution 1536 x 2048 pixels, 4:3 ratio (265 dpi)
  • Platform Android 7.0 (Nougat)
  • Chipset Hexi-Core: MediaTek ARM Cortex 2.1Ghz (MT8173)
  • CPU 2x 2.1 GHz ARM Cortex-A72 & 4x 1.7 GHz ARM Cortex-A53 64bit (Cores:6)
  • GPU Imagination Technologies PowerVR GX6250 700MHz
  • Memory 64GB (disk), 4GB (RAM)

Model TRIPLTEK 8 Pro (T82)
  • Year 2021
  • Size 8-inch 1200 nits
  • Resolution 2560 x 1600 pixels (377 dpi)
  • Platform Android 10
  • Chipset Octa-core: MediaTek Helio P60 2GHz (MT6771V/C)
  • CPU 8x 2 GHz ARM Cortex 64bit and 3D Ready GPU (Cores: 8)
  • GPU ARM Mali-G72 MP3 800MHz
  • Memory 256GB (disk), 8GB (RAM)
The TriplTek 8 Pro does seem to support H.265: Helio P60 | Intelligent Edge-AI Infusion I can also see when using Media Codec Info that the HEVC decoder is present. This makes things even more mysterious. Hopefully TriplTek support have an answer.
  • My ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M has both MPEG-4 AVC (H.264/) ENCODER & DECODER and HEVC (H.265) ENCODER & DECODER present. Not bad for a 2016 Android7 tablet. I have no issues here.
  • My TriplTek 8 Pro tablet has both MPEG-4 AVC (H.264/) ENCODER & DECODER and only an HEVC (H.265) DECODER present. No HEVC(H.265) ENCODER, which I think is surprising on what I though was a superior device. This may explain why I cannot download via the DJI App any H.265 videos. It does not explain why the video playback is no poor though.
On Paper, the TriplTek 8 Pro appears to have superior Chipset, CPU/GPU and memory but in practice worse performance.

I have now reached out to TriplTek for an explanation. The suspicion here is that either the graphics performance on the TriplTek just sucks or maybe just a lack of H.265/HEVC hardware encoding and decoding support with the TriplTek. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed with the video playback performance of the TriplTek 8Pro. I don’t even care about the poor audio output because I can use a Bluetooth headset and all is good with that.

If anybody else is seeing this issue using a TriplTek 8 Pro, I'd be interested to hear your feedback.

Last edited:
Are you playing directly from the card or copying it to the tablet first? Perhaps the card reader isn't fast enough for H.265 playback.

Nothing mentioned specifically about H265 but there are comments about the 4K performance on the 8:

Reactions: DmitryGlinka
Are you playing directly from the card or copying it to the tablet first? Perhaps the card reader isn't fast enough for H.265 playback.
Hey there. I always copy the media to the internal SD disk, I also have a 512KB SanDisk Extreme Pro in the MicroSD tray. Same results on either. I have used the SD Card Test app to see if there is a disk performance issue but this does not appear to be the case. Screenshot_20230603-205003~2.png

Nothing mentioned specifically about H265 but there are comments about the 4K performance on the 8:

Interesting. Interested to know why the tripltek 8 plays back video so poorly. As said, my 7year old ASUS ZenPad Z500M has no problem playing back either H.264 or H.265 4K videos one what would on paper look to me like lower grade components (details on original post). Hopefully TriplTek support can provide an answer, who by the way are 15mins south of me.

Still awaiting for a technical explanation from TriplTek support.
TriplTek did respond after several days with an unsatisfactory reply, to which I responded too and waiting again.

I even joined the "TriplTek Tablet User's Group" facebook group and posted my issue there, to see what other T8 users are seeing. This FB group is managed by a Board Member at TRIPLTEK. Without the courtesy of providing a reason, the Admin (the TriplTek person) deleted this FB group yesterday evening... This type of behavior isn't a good sign... Clearly the admin has determined that my feedback is not something they want address professionally nor do they want it known publicly.

I have now re-created the Facebook "TriplTek Tablet User's Group" - please join if you are interested in TriplTek tablet community.

Last edited:
TriplTek support have explained that the H.265 codec on the TriplTek 8 Pro has been disabled as a precaution to prevent overheating. Interestingly, the display on the TriplTek 8 Pro is the same as on the TriplTek 9 Pro, both are 2560x1600 (4millon pixels), which is known as Quad HD or QHD or simply 2K. However, because the TriplTek 9 Pro has a superior CPU and GPU (Hyper-Engine can handle 4K at 60 frames) it can downscale 4K video and play smooth.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Time to upgrade to the brightest tablet on the market. It's virtually indestructible 2600 Nits and only $650 plus $20 shipping from Pennsylvania visit www.eagleviewaerials.com
Shame the display is only 7" 1920*1080.
Does the GPU have H.265/HEVC encoder/decoder?
Also, how smooth does it play 4K/30FPS video encoded with H.265?

I know, there are a lot of things about it I would like to change but the things is does have are outstanding. It has a very smooth display and it's a phone, can you believe that?

I know, there are a lot of things about it I would like to change but the things is does have are outstanding. It has a very smooth display and it's a phone, can you believe that?
Yeah that's a new one, a phone in a tablet; a tablet you can make phone calls to another party....nice!

I
I do sincerely apologize to all Tripltek owners, users, etc. I never should have made any comparison because all tablets are different and we all have our own preferences. I'll never make comparisons again and I hope you'll all accept my apologies.

I
I do sincerely apologize to all Tripltek owners, users, etc. I never should have made any comparison because all tablets are different and we all have our own preferences. I'll never make comparisons again and I hope you'll all accept my apologies.

I

Dont apologize MasterAngler... comparisons should be welcome. Did you offend somebody?
I see the massive 2600nits on a 7" 1920x1080 FHD display and only 128GB storage, so a brighter display on a smaller display with lower resolution (2million pixels).
PS... the TriplTek also has SIM card option for any network. All other spec looks very similar to the T8.

Still, would be interested if it can playback 4K/30FPS video footage perfectly smooth, and if so can it do the same when compressed with H.265.

Reactions: masterangler
Dont apologize MasterAngler... comparisons should be welcome. Did you offend somebody?
I see the massive 2600nits on a 7" 1920x1080 FHD display and only 128GB storage, so a brighter display on a smaller display with lower resolution (2million pixels).
PS... the TriplTek also has SIM card option for any network. All other spec looks very similar to the T8.

Still, would be interested if it can playback 4K/30FPS video footage perfectly smooth, and if so can it do the same when compressed with H.265.
The TRIPLTEK 9 play video smooth at 4K 30fps, and it also play 4K 30 fps compressed at H.265 / HEVC, VP-9

I don't think you'll get a 4k/30FPS video anywhere, IMH - We also have SIM Card option + expandable memory Thanks DmitryGlinka

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne