DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TriplTek 8 Pro - Poor video performance

Greetings comrades

Up until recently was just using the H.264 video encoding (4K/30FPS/MP4/Normal).
I was able to download via the DJI Fly app directly to my TriplTek 8 Pro and the only issue I had was that video playback on the TriplTek 8Pro is often a bit jittery, not 100% smooth but not too bad.

I have recently tried taking video using H.265 (HEVC), also in 4K,30FPS,MP4,Normal mode. The theory for this change is so that I can get longer video footage on the same size file due to the superior compression. I understand that encoding/decoding with H.265 consumes greater CPU but this TriplTek 8Pro is quite new and running on what I had expected to be decent hardware with Android10.

However, with H.265 videos I can no longer download the videos directly to my TriplTek 8Pro via the DJI Fly app, the error I get is "Only JPEG Images and H.264 videos are downloadable." This sucks... I have no problem downloading the same to either my iPhone11, or my Asus ZenPad Z500M (Android7) which is 7years old. Both of these other devices also playback both H.264 and H.265 video super smooth, way better than my TriplTek 8Pro.

When I copy the H.265 video from the microSD card to my TriplTek 8Pro the playback just chokes up. I have downloaded MX Player from the Google Play store and this app plays back the video much better but still the playback is jittery and not smooth at all.

So, I did a comparison with the hardware specification of my 2016 ASUS ZenPad with the TriplTek:

Model ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M (P027)
  • Year 2016
  • Size 9.7 inches
  • Resolution 1536 x 2048 pixels, 4:3 ratio (265 dpi)
  • Platform Android 7.0 (Nougat)
  • Chipset Hexi-Core: MediaTek ARM Cortex 2.1Ghz (MT8173)
  • CPU 2x 2.1 GHz ARM Cortex-A72 & 4x 1.7 GHz ARM Cortex-A53 64bit (Cores:6)
  • GPU Imagination Technologies PowerVR GX6250 700MHz
  • Memory 64GB (disk), 4GB (RAM)

Model TRIPLTEK 8 Pro (T82)
  • Year 2021
  • Size 8-inch 1200 nits
  • Resolution 2560 x 1600 pixels (377 dpi)
  • Platform Android 10
  • Chipset Octa-core: MediaTek Helio P60 2GHz (MT6771V/C)
  • CPU 8x 2 GHz ARM Cortex 64bit and 3D Ready GPU (Cores: 8)
  • GPU ARM Mali-G72 MP3 800MHz
  • Memory 256GB (disk), 8GB (RAM)
The TriplTek 8 Pro does seem to support H.265: Helio P60 | Intelligent Edge-AI Infusion I can also see when using Media Codec Info that the HEVC decoder is present. This makes things even more mysterious. Hopefully TriplTek support have an answer.
  • My ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M has both MPEG-4 AVC (H.264/) ENCODER & DECODER and HEVC (H.265) ENCODER & DECODER present. Not bad for a 2016 Android7 tablet. I have no issues here.
  • My TriplTek 8 Pro tablet has both MPEG-4 AVC (H.264/) ENCODER & DECODER and only an HEVC (H.265) DECODER present. No HEVC(H.265) ENCODER, which I think is surprising on what I though was a superior device. This may explain why I cannot download via the DJI App any H.265 videos. It does not explain why the video playback is no poor though.
On Paper, the TriplTek 8 Pro appears to have superior Chipset, CPU/GPU and memory but in practice worse performance.

I have now reached out to TriplTek for an explanation. The suspicion here is that either the graphics performance on the TriplTek just sucks or maybe just a lack of H.265/HEVC hardware encoding and decoding support with the TriplTek. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed with the video playback performance of the TriplTek 8Pro. I don’t even care about the poor audio output because I can use a Bluetooth headset and all is good with that.

If anybody else is seeing this issue using a TriplTek 8 Pro, I'd be interested to hear your feedback.
Hi. I purchased the Tripletek 8 Pro when released. On paper it sounds good. 21 megapixel camera is the worse I ever used. Colors are so washed out and terrible in every other way and no reason in the world why this would be the case in this day and age. Bottom Line....Tripletek does not have the knowledge or support resources to make the hardware work optimally...the unit has never had a firmware update or Android update since it's release years ago. They were able to manufacture the unit so that it is operational but unable to optimize it's components to perform as the hardware is capable of...(ex- 21 mp camera that takes horrendous pictures, poor video playback even when using "Total Commander" as the playback app, even the Tripletek startup logo has lag...how crazy is that!!! etc.) hence no updates (firmware or Android) because no one within the company knows how I can only assume. Zero support for this device right out of the box. I can only assume the same for their newest unit.

Hi. I purchased the Tripletek 8 Pro when released. On paper it sounds good. 21 megapixel camera is the worse I ever used. Colors are so washed out and terrible in every other way and no reason in the world why this would be the case in this day and age. Bottom Line....Tripletek does not have the knowledge or support resources to make the hardware work optimally...the unit has never had a firmware update or Android update since it's release years ago. They were able to manufacture the unit so that it is operational but unable to optimize it's components to perform as the hardware is capable of...(ex- 21 mp camera that takes horrendous pictures, poor video playback even when using "Total Commander" as the playback app, even the Tripletek startup logo has lag...how crazy is that!!! etc.) hence no updates (firmware or Android) because no one within the company knows how I can only assume. Zero support for this device right out of the box. I can only assume the same for their newest unit.
Yeah you should try Tripltek 9 anyway. ;)

The TRIPLTEK 8 has received 14 firmware updates over the air since it was released back in 2021. We support all our customers in less than 24 hours. The 4k playback has been optimized as much as possible, although the hardware was not designed to play 4K. There are some hardware compromises on the TRIPLTEK 8 due to the thermos to keep the sustained brightness even when the temperature outside is over 120F
On the TRIPLTEK 9 the hardware was optimized specifically to play 4K files while keeping the thermos in optimal temperature range, thanks to the new GPU lower running temperatures.

Reactions: Mcflye
I do want to add...I love my Tripletek 8 Pro and would purchase again any day of the week. Its build is top quality all they way around. So solid with it's premium build. The screen is so bright, is google certified and pretty much runs any google play or Android app, can accept an sd card for additional storage, large high res display, extreme military rating (military grade is better then most IP ratings)
I want to add that I would repurchase the Tripletek 8 Pro again any day of the week. Its probably the best built tablet I ever purchased. Premium build all the way around with a Military Grade rating surpassing IP 66. Accepts SD cards for extra storage, Google certified, runs Android/ Google apps, can be used as your primary cell phone because it has a slot for a sim card, large high res screen that is bright enough on its own in direct sunlight without overheating for drone flights, large internal storage, good hardware just not up to par for what it's capable of but not much worse then anything else out there. DJI drone usage is phenomenal with excellent reception when flying and filming. I still love this thing and would purchase the 9 inch in a second if this wasn't still working for me. I feel this device should be almost as good as the 9 inch and now that the 9 inch is available maybe some of those features or upgrades of the 9 inch will be passed on to those who have supported their products in the past by a firmware, software, or operating system update.

Thank you so much for your feedback. The TRIPLTEK 9 has been developed with all the experience learned from the Tripltek 8 in mind.
We would like to thank users like you for sharing your feedback with us and helping us improve and add the functionalities that you have been asking for.

The TRIPLTEK 8 has received 14 firmware updates over the air since it was released back in 2021. We support all our customers in less than 24 hours. The 4k playback has been optimized as much as possible, although the hardware was not designed to play 4K. There are some hardware compromises on the TRIPLTEK 8 due to the thermos to keep the sustained brightness even when the temperature outside is over 120F
On the TRIPLTEK 9 the hardware was optimized specifically to play 4K files while keeping the thermos in optimal temperature range, thanks to the new GPU lower running temperature
On the TRIPLTEK 9 the hardware was optimized specifically to play 4K files while keeping the thermos in optimal temperature range, thanks to the new GPU lower running temperatures.
That's great news. Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe these updates happened automatically in the background for me. I have my doubts whether my unit has been updated and would like to know what is the current firm ware build number. What version of Android should my device have. When ever I select check for updates my unit says "software up to date" here are my specs and let me know if maybe my unit updates it self automatically when I connect to the internet. Thanks :) my unit is Build number: T852120221103 and it says my software is up to date version T852120221103_2138. Let me know if this looks like I'm up to date because I have never been given the opportunity to update my device...because it always comes back software up to date. Thanks. Sincerely Wayne S Cooper

I think I answered my own question. I purchased the Tripletek 8 Pro October 2021 and my build number is 11 3 22. Definitely a newer build since the purchase date. I take back the comment regarding support. As a footnote on my device, you tube videos, Netflix, etc as well as everything else looks great when played back at lower resolutions when necessary. Looks like 4 k to me even if it isnt. Probably due to the high res monitor and this device really does have exceptional hardware. Thanks for the response and informing me of my misjudgement :)

I think I answered my own question. I purchased the Tripletek 8 Pro October 2021 and my build number is 11 3 22. Definitely a newer build since the purchase date. I take back the comment regarding support. As a footnote on my device, you tube videos, Netflix, etc as well as everything else looks great when played back at lower resolutions when necessary. Looks like 4 k to me even if it isnt. Probably due to the high res monitor and this device really does have exceptional hardware. Thanks for the response and informing me of my misjudgement :)
Please contact support, it has been new updates your TRIPLTEK 8 should receive it. The last one was on April 25th. They will let you know how to update it.

Thank you

Greetings comrades

Up until recently was just using the H.264 video encoding (4K/30FPS/MP4/Normal).
I was able to download via the DJI Fly app directly to my TriplTek 8 Pro and the only issue I had was that video playback on the TriplTek 8Pro is often a bit jittery, not 100% smooth but not too bad.

I have recently tried taking video using H.265 (HEVC), also in 4K,30FPS,MP4,Normal mode. The theory for this change is so that I can get longer video footage on the same size file due to the superior compression. I understand that encoding/decoding with H.265 consumes greater CPU but this TriplTek 8Pro is quite new and running on what I had expected to be decent hardware with Android10.

However, with H.265 videos I can no longer download the videos directly to my TriplTek 8Pro via the DJI Fly app, the error I get is "Only JPEG Images and H.264 videos are downloadable." This sucks... I have no problem downloading the same to either my iPhone11, or my Asus ZenPad Z500M (Android7) which is 7years old. Both of these other devices also playback both H.264 and H.265 video super smooth, way better than my TriplTek 8Pro.

When I copy the H.265 video from the microSD card to my TriplTek 8Pro the playback just chokes up. I have downloaded MX Player from the Google Play store and this app plays back the video much better but still the playback is jittery and not smooth at all.

So, I did a comparison with the hardware specification of my 2016 ASUS ZenPad with the TriplTek:

Model ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M (P027)
  • Year 2016
  • Size 9.7 inches
  • Resolution 1536 x 2048 pixels, 4:3 ratio (265 dpi)
  • Platform Android 7.0 (Nougat)
  • Chipset Hexi-Core: MediaTek ARM Cortex 2.1Ghz (MT8173)
  • CPU 2x 2.1 GHz ARM Cortex-A72 & 4x 1.7 GHz ARM Cortex-A53 64bit (Cores:6)
  • GPU Imagination Technologies PowerVR GX6250 700MHz
  • Memory 64GB (disk), 4GB (RAM)

Model TRIPLTEK 8 Pro (T82)
  • Year 2021
  • Size 8-inch 1200 nits
  • Resolution 2560 x 1600 pixels (377 dpi)
  • Platform Android 10
  • Chipset Octa-core: MediaTek Helio P60 2GHz (MT6771V/C)
  • CPU 8x 2 GHz ARM Cortex 64bit and 3D Ready GPU (Cores: 8)
  • GPU ARM Mali-G72 MP3 800MHz
  • Memory 256GB (disk), 8GB (RAM)
The TriplTek 8 Pro does seem to support H.265: Helio P60 | Intelligent Edge-AI Infusion I can also see when using Media Codec Info that the HEVC decoder is present. This makes things even more mysterious. Hopefully TriplTek support have an answer.
  • My ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M has both MPEG-4 AVC (H.264/) ENCODER & DECODER and HEVC (H.265) ENCODER & DECODER present. Not bad for a 2016 Android7 tablet. I have no issues here.
  • My TriplTek 8 Pro tablet has both MPEG-4 AVC (H.264/) ENCODER & DECODER and only an HEVC (H.265) DECODER present. No HEVC(H.265) ENCODER, which I think is surprising on what I though was a superior device. This may explain why I cannot download via the DJI App any H.265 videos. It does not explain why the video playback is no poor though.
On Paper, the TriplTek 8 Pro appears to have superior Chipset, CPU/GPU and memory but in practice worse performance.

I have now reached out to TriplTek for an explanation. The suspicion here is that either the graphics performance on the TriplTek just sucks or maybe just a lack of H.265/HEVC hardware encoding and decoding support with the TriplTek. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed with the video playback performance of the TriplTek 8Pro. I don’t even care about the poor audio output because I can use a Bluetooth headset and all is good with that.

If anybody else is seeing this issue using a TriplTek 8 Pro, I'd be interested to hear your feedback.
I'm dealing with same problem. Tripltek 8 pro. I hate that I can't download the h 265 videos. I just use my S23 ultra cell to get the video. Kind of sucks

I'm dealing with same problem. Tripltek 8 pro. I hate that I can't download the h 265 videos. I just use my S23 ultra cell to get the video. Kind of sucks
Please see my ad. I sell tablets that compete above and beyone the TT Pro. My tablets are 2600 Nit and will do whatever you want to do and they are virtually indestructible. Check out my website as well.
www.eagleviewaerials.com
You can reach me thru the forum.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas