DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are drones legal in West Suffolk?

Dyn0

Reactions
I've recently gotten into what I'd hoped would be an awesome hobby only to find its just about one of the biggest legal minefields one could wade into in my area. Following CAA rules seems really nice and easy to comply with, perhaps a little harder with a heavier drone but not my little starter drone.

Local bylaws are a whole different matter. Ones like Norfolk etc seem to be easy enough and clear but my local council, West Suffolk only have an extremely brief exceedingly strict rule, unless I'm misinterpreting it. The only info this particular council lists is on the parks page, which then mentions drones. It states all parks don't allow drones, fair enough, kinda sucks but it is what it is. In the next breath it says and all open spaces. This is a blanket ban on anywhere that isn't my own garden isn't it?

I've called the council to ask this and was given a few ehms and ahhs before being transferred to the parks department who tried to answer but prefaced everything with I think, however again leading with the idea this is a full blanket ban.

Is this really the case? Are there no recreation pilots in Suffolk? I'm kind of stuck now because I'm worried I can be given a heavy fine wherever I try to use it and what should have been a fun hobby is rapidly turning into the realisation that I'm gonna end up selling this on ebay for a loss and have wasted time and money on this all for nothing

Have a look at Drone Scene, which is UK specific, in particular the 'Good 2 Go' tab, which will allow you to check your own circumstances.

Have a look at Drone Scene, which is UK specific, in particular the 'Good 2 Go' tab, which will allow you to check your own circumstances.
Thanks a bunch, I'll be sure to give that a look. Luckily I believe I may have found a partial workaround too. From what I can tell forestry commissions are Crown Land where the council has no say, and the Crown authorities are fine with it provided CAA rules are complied with. The one near me is unfortunately dying due to some disease or bacteria.

They're replacing it in big stretches at a time leaving large clearings where I can keep adequate distance from the local wildlife. That may actually provide a decent regular fly spot while I look for more some ventures to take. I get the feeling it's going to be a long journey each time though as that map lists basically nothing under 50 miles from me. Still will prove a useful tool

I live in neighbouring Norfolk and I use the the Drone Assist app every time before flying to check for No Fly Zones. Unless there are specific signage stating private land and it’s is public access and your drone is sub 250gm you are a legally allowed to fly. Good luck

Really appreciate the advice. Unfortunately further research has revealed that the forestry commission is actually sperate from the crown lands own version and it does appear that Suffolk has actually banned take off and landing all together. I'm tempted to visit Norfolk Broads anyway and likely will this summer as their restrictions seem much more manageable, but it does seem the hobby is unworkable locally so it will likely be my last flight unfortunately.

Thanks again for the help anyway though

It does seem very draconian and whist I am sure you have done exhaustive research I can’t believe the Council has or are even allowed to apply a blanket ban. We have a pretty tight set of drone rules here in Bristol but if ever a Council might ban drones it’s ours and I can still fly on the Downs and in Blaise Castle Park. Might it be tempting providence to check with the local Constabulary-suggest on-line rather than a visit?

Local councils have absolutely no jurisdiction on air space. That’s the CAA's remit. They can stop you taking off and landing on their property, and that’s all. They can’t stop you flying over it, or anywhere else as long as you’re following the CAA regulations .

Local bylaws are a whole different matter. Ones like Norfolk etc seem to be easy enough and clear but my local council, West Suffolk only have an extremely brief exceedingly strict rule, unless I'm misinterpreting it. The only info this particular council lists is on the parks page, which then mentions drones. It states all parks don't allow drones, fair enough, kinda sucks but it is what it is. In the next breath it says and all open spaces. This is a blanket ban on anywhere that isn't my own garden isn't it?

I've called the council to ask this and was given a few ehms and ahhs before being transferred to the parks department who tried to answer but prefaced everything with I think, however again leading with the idea this is a full blanket ban.

Is this really the case? Are there no recreation pilots in Suffolk? I'm kind of stuck now because I'm worried I can be given a heavy fine wherever I try to use it and what should have been a fun hobby is rapidly turning into the realisation that I'm gonna end up selling this on ebay for a loss and have wasted time and money on this all for nothing
I presume you are referring to this: Page not found!

"Drones
The flying of drones, irrespective of size, is not permitted in any of our parks or open spaces within this council.
The guidance set out by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) states that drone’s should not be flown within 150ft (50m) of people and property. The majority of our parks and open spaces are open to the public at any time and we are required to ensure that they are safe for all to use.
"

So first off, it is not clear if this is a POLICY or if it is a BYELAW. They can only enforce the latter, policy is not enforceable as I understand it. It just means they 'don't really want them flying in their parks and open spaces' trying to put you off
The reference to CAA is only accurate if your drone is over 250g and if you don't have your A2 CoC .....
- if you have a <250g drone you can fly in Parks and Open spaces (and residential, commercial and industrial spaces), with no minimum distance limit to uninvolved people [if there are no BYELAWS]
- if you have a >250g drone you can fly over 150m from Parks and Open spaces (and residential, commercial and industrial spaces) unless you have and A2 CoC, in which case you can fly in these locations up to 50m from uninvolved people (unless there are BYELAWS in force).

Of course also assuming no Restricted Zones or FRZ's

Reactions: paul09
We have Raglan Castle near us and on the grass of the car park are notices stating that the flying of drones for photography purposes is prohibited. They can indeed insist that drones are not launched or landed within their grounds however, as others have pointed out, they cannot prevent anyone overflying their airspace providing they are flying under the strict adherence of the CAA drone laws and have taken off from outside of their grounds. I am sure that most of these concerns who insist on non drone use would be in the same boat.

I fly Raglan castle from the little layby and road off the roundabout about 200m south of their land.
Perfectly legal for an A1 (or A2 if not going over the place as its all empty fields) flight.

i live in colchester and plan to fly near the waterfront and tolly cobald brewery etc soon when i checked on fly assist app shows yellow which is fly with caution

i live in colchester and plan to fly near the waterfront and tolly cobald brewery etc soon when i checked on fly assist app shows yellow which is fly with caution
Does it have anything to do with the nearby military Garrison and firing range (marked danger area on Ordinance Survey maps) ??

Does it have anything to do with the nearby military Garrison and firing range (marked danger area on Ordinance Survey maps) ??
the plan is fly in ipswich no military there by the waterfront
regarding colchester the old garrison is not army no more its in the middle of a housing estate the firing range is not close by the new barracks is over 1/2 mile away

the plan is fly in ipswich no military there by the waterfront
regarding colchester the old garrison is not army no more its in the middle of a housing estate the firing range is not close by the new barracks is over 1/2 mile away
Your post only mentioned Colchester hence my question.

Given the further information I have checked online and the only "restriction" I can find on line in relation to Ipswich is a blue "authorised zone" over Portman road recorded as "stadium". By waterfront, I take it you include the Marina area which is just outside this "authorised zone" hence the "fly with caution" warning, but taking care and flying within the CAA laws, you should be OK>

I presume you are referring to this: Page not found!

"Drones
The flying of drones, irrespective of size, is not permitted in any of our parks or open spaces within this council.
The guidance set out by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) states that drone’s should not be flown within 150ft (50m) of people and property. The majority of our parks and open spaces are open to the public at any time and we are required to ensure that they are safe for all to use.
"

So first off, it is not clear if this is a POLICY or if it is a BYELAW. They can only enforce the latter, policy is not enforceable as I understand it. It just means they 'don't really want them flying in their parks and open spaces' trying to put you off
The reference to CAA is only accurate if your drone is over 250g and if you don't have your A2 CoC .....
- if you have a <250g drone you can fly in Parks and Open spaces (and residential, commercial and industrial spaces), with no minimum distance limit to uninvolved people [if there are no BYELAWS]
- if you have a >250g drone you can fly over 150m from Parks and Open spaces (and residential, commercial and industrial spaces) unless you have and A2 CoC, in which case you can fly in these locations up to 50m from uninvolved people (unless there are BYELAWS in force).

Of course also assuming no Restricted Zones or FRZ's
This is your answer to your original question, as with most of us we fly early in the mornings there’s little or no people around ,sub 250g UAV or over. stay within the CAA guidelines and keep a copy of it with you just in case you need to “ enlighten someone “

This is your answer to your original question, as with most of us we fly early in the mornings there’s little or no people around ,sub 250g UAV or over. stay within the CAA guidelines and keep a copy of it with you just in case you need to “ enlighten someone “
Within the parameters you describe, I don't think they can prevent from flying OVER a park, subject to adherence to CAA rules, but bye law or not, I believe that they can stop you from flying FROM the property for which they are responsible. There is probable not any sanction they can apply other than to report to the CAA who state that a drone flyer MUST have the permission of the land owner (or custodian) to take off or land, which could then amount to non compliance of CAA rules. The only contention might then be if a "public" park is considered "property" within these rules.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000