DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are expectations too high for the Mavic Mini?

Not at all, I’ve now flown the Mini on a few outdoor wild camping trips here in the UK when the wind was variable due to the terrain and the temperatures were around zero. As long as you are aware of your surroundings, respect the wind and it’s direction(s), have a plan should things get a little sketchy it’s been perfect..... with the exception of my props hitting the body in wind (still investigating), I’m also still concerned about some of the uncommanded descents that have been reported although it has not happened to me. Oh and I rolled back to .003 firmware as I don’t have any unlock requirements.

Yes, yes you do need one. You know it makes sense ……... ;)
I don't know when I'd use it though. The only reasons to get one is 'new toy' :)
Realistically, I'd still use my Air because I'd rather film in 4K with full manual control, and much stronger wind resistance.

New toys are good. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A yesterday. Did I need it ? No. Did I want it ? Yes. It's faster than my older Acer tablet. I am I happy ? Yes. (Until the next time). The mini is the only DJI drone I own. (I have a 3DR solo too). I find that the Mini is a lot quieter, and therefore draws less attention when I fly. (If that helps at all)

there are two types of newbie drone fliers ,and they fall into
( A) open the box this is so simple any fool can do it ,now just charge the battery plug in a few bits ,now into the garden ,start the motors ,look at that thing climb oh no where's it going its gone what a piece of crap i must tell others not to buy it
(B) i have just spent a considerable amount of cash on this great bit of kit and to that end i am going to do some research and find out how it works
i know i will ask for advice on the Mavic Forum that way my new drone will have a better chance of lasting

I fell into the category (C) open the box it looks so simple, go into the garden watch it climb and realize this is a lot more complex than it looks like on YouTube. I better go to the Mavic Forum and learn better what to do before I fall into category (A).

Get the Zoom, one effect in particular stands out. The M2's are sturdier than one reasonably expects. Fast, too.

Let's see Bigfoot outrun a 70km/h drone with 4X zoom. Elusive bastard.

Wait, what?
Do we know each other already?

I've owned my MM for 4 days now and I've only owned micro toy drones. We've mostly had days of 10 to 15 mph winds here in Florida and it's been tough to find perfect weather so far. I haven't been more than 500 ft away and more than 200 ft high. When the wind has been around 15mph I get a warning at about 100 ft and I bring it down to where the warning goes away. I bought the MM to film parts of my comedic videos and will never need to go very high or fast to do so. I bought it for the cinesmooth function and I'm practicing whenever I can to become smooth. I've seen videos of people flying them in well over 20mph sustained winds and physics tells me that's a bad idea with something so light. I can't wait to fly higher and further just to take some beautiful pics of the countryside, but since that's not what I bought it for I can wait for the right weather.

From my point of view, as a new pilot who bought a MPP, it's down to ignorance.

I flew my MPP in quite strong winds when I first got it, without really understanding the risk I was taking. The drone coped with it but gave me a few warnings, which I didn't take much notice of.

Now, with a much better understanding to what happens when a drone is flying against a strong wind, I would not be flying in those conditions, in the locations that I did.

If I had bought a MM and flown it in those same conditions, it is very likely I could of lost or damaged it.

A mini can only cope with 18mph wind, this is a Force 4. So, you could probably expect to reach that at 100m, when it's a Force 2 at ground level.
So many of the Fly Away or Crash topics for the Mavic Mini seem to be wind or weather related. When the Mavic Mini was first announced I think many pilots questioned how a sub 250 drone would handle the wind. I own a Spark, an MP1 and a Mini. Admittedly I'm a pretty conservative flyer but I would never fly the Spark like I fly my MP1. I also would never fly the Mini like I do the MP1. Just seems like so many Minis are lost or crashed because they are being asked to do what a larger, stronger aircraft is capable of. I like my Spark and Mini, but operationally in less the perfect conditions I will always use the Mavic Pro. Part of me believes DJI is responsible by hyping a 4 km range. I couldn't see my car 4km away let alone a drone. Am I being too cautions or is this little drone being asked to do more than it is capable of?
Dear All, I am a quite experienced sailor and a newcomer enthusiast with drones .... so I wouldn’t dare to sail far away with a small boat when winds and sea state are not friendly: the smaller the boat the more you have to be aware of winds and sea .... Prudence and wiseness can save you life .... and your small and light technological jewel !!!

The little mini was built to fly around trees, NOT ABOVE THEM. So therefore it would still be a good tool to have in your box.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_