DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are the Time Stamp settings in controller or drone adjustable?

acurth

Reactions
First, the question: I was forced to fly without a screen (see story below). All photos and videos came up with a 1970 timestamp. (That's the year I was born, but I don't think DJI knows that ;-)). Is there any Time stamp setting one can/should adjust in either the actual drone or the controller?

Then, the story: We went on vacation to Boipeba island in Brazil, and brought my MVP with me. Airlines flying back and forth from Argentina, had no issues at all with my bringing the Mavic with me on board. Before I left I made sure all batteries were charged, apps updated, firmware upgraded to the latest version, all was ready.
We left the hotel in Boipeba and went for a long walk in an amazing scenario, where at this time of the year there's almost no people at all. Just beautiful.
Once we stopped, and I got my Mavic ready, I realized that for some unexpected reason my DJI 4 app was only half way installed in the iPad mini... I guess the ipad was set to auto-update and didn't complete a recent update¿? Then I thought, ok, I'll use the iphone (my battery is absolutely dead in the phone, so I use one of those apple battery cases, which doesn't fit in the controller's handles, so it was going to be an uncomfortable flight anyways...) When I turn on the app in the phone, it asked me to login to DJI... #$@&$#*$%& (That's what I thought)... Not only there was no wifi there, but no cellphone service either... Anyways...
I was not going to seat there and do nothing about it. SO, I was forced to fly without a screen, and shot some blind pictures and videos. I was limited to 30mts high and 50mts radius, which makes total sense. To my surprise some of the pictures and videos came out pretty decent, but as I asked before, they had the wrong time-stamp. I'm not planning to fly without a screen often, but while sharing this story I thought I'd ask if there is any time related setting one should set on either the mavic or the controller?

Here's one of those blind shots I was happy about:

Nice blind shot! :)

WE can assume the date and time is pulled from the phone, although I thought it was pulled from the GPS system, but in ay case I have seen that datestamp error, sometimes it is in the future too!

As far as the login, you only have to do that once online, then it shouldn't ask you to do it again.

Reactions: acurth
As far as the login, you only have to do that once online, then it shouldn't ask you to do it again.
Thank you for your comments - that is what I thought too, although I guess if you didn't login in a while or after some app updates they ask you to login again (while you're in the middle of no-where with no connection at all).