DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are there methods for automatically mapping floodplains, fans and terraces?

Simon de Boer

Reactions
Site
2-air.nl
I want to map these river geoforms with as little subjectivity as possible. I have a high resolution DEM generated by drone data.

I use drone deploy for flight control and WebODM to generate maps. The program will generate normal "pictures" but also generates plant health maps (I guess based on shades of colors), and can make color based topo maps. The system works, but honestly it is not all that strait forward and it is VERY resource intensive. I suspect if you know the program better than me, you could even turn off the generation of the "picture" and the plant health maps, and only get the color coded topo maps. fwiw, it can also do 3d mapping, but honestly I have not been all that impressed with that feature - I guess I did not set the flight parameters correct to do accurate 3d mapping. It has a ton of features, but being open source, using them gets complicated-I really have only scratched the surface of what it can do.

FWIW I run it on a computer with a fast processor 128GB of ram and a NVMe hard drive. Rendering still takes hours. The software can not offload processing to the video card, so that is one limitation.

Last edited:
I use drone deploy for flight control and WebODM to generate maps. The program will generate normal "pictures" but also generates plant health maps (I guess based on shades of colors), and can make color based topo maps. The system works, but honestly it is not all that strait forward and it is VERY resource intensive. I suspect if you know the program better than me, you could even turn off the generation of the "picture" and the plant health maps, and only get the color coded topo maps. fwiw, it can also do 3d mapping, but honestly I have not been all that impressed with that feature - I guess I did not set the flight parameters correct to do accurate 3d mapping. It has a ton of features, but being open source, using them gets complicated-I really have only scratched the surface of what it can do.

FWIW I run it on a computer with a fast processor 128GB of ram and a NVMe hard drive. Rendering still takes hours. The software can not offload processing to the video card, so that is one limitation.
Thanks for your valuable answer!!

Also use DD and WebODM. You can specify output parameters and tweek a couple of settings to speed up the processing. If you are running it using a Virtual machine, through docker desktop for instance, then check the hardware allocation to the VM as you may not even be using half of your processing power. I have created relatively large maps at 2cm resolution using a notebook with 20gb of RAM and a Ryzen 7 processor.

I will admit to having some setting set abusive. I wanted to be able to easily id specific tree species. For me that sometimes means seeing the leaf shapes. I did play around with memory usage and cpu priority a little - but in the end, I just doubled the ram and sometimes process maps in sections (it almost always freezes if I try to do too much at one time). It is almost fair to say my main limitation currently is not having enough drone batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661