DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you a keeper or an upgrader?

Started with Mini 2 out of curiosity, upgraded to Mini 3 Pro when it was released. Recent purchases as , I suppose , upgrades would be Mavic 3 and Air 3. Though I think I have the 2 drones I really need for photography now, unless Air3S comes with a 20MP main and zoom sensors + adjustable aperture on both cameras 😁

So far kept all the drones I've bought, mini 2 and 3pro have retired from their work.

@Droning on and on... i guess i fall into both camps,to a degree ,i had no intention of replacing my aging nearly 5 year old MPP ,with a newer model ,until the Air 3 was released,and even after i had purchased the Air 3, i was just going to let the MPP spend the rest of its days ,sitting in its case ,as i knew after flying the Air 3 ,it would just be left, and would not be used ,the Air 3 was just so much better in every way, for the ease of use ,but after reading some of the comments on this forum ,i had a change of heart, and the MPP has gone to a new home, to continue to be flown by a new owner
I too have kept my mavic pro. I bought a mini2 and then a mini3 pro (which I still fly a ton) and I have an air3 which I consider my “super upgrade”. I gave my mini 2 to my nephew and I think I’ll just keep my air 3 for many years. My wife just won’t have me busting out wads of thousand dollar bills to keep up with the latest.😂

I wouldn’t get rid of anything that can still run Litchi, nor would I buy anything new that couldn’t. :mad: DJI SDK czars.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: umanbean
I wouldn’t get rid of anything that can still run Litchi, nor would I buy anything new that couldn’t. Da:mad:mn DJI SDK czars.
My thoughts exactly! I bought a Mini 2 only because I wanted to stick my toe in the water and check out the Fly app (do not like it). Plus, Litchi supports the Mini 2 even though it's virtual stick waypoints... so I feel like it's almost the best of both worlds.

I may end up with an Air 3 if I can justify it before they come out with the Air 4, or 3s or whatever

I'm a keeper, but I only have a cheap Syma X5SC, a Mavic Pro and the M3P I got last year. The Syma doesn't get used because every time I took it out the wind took it further than the battery. The last time was a bit of a hike to find it way down in a gorge. (My wife bought it as a present, so an effort was made to find it). I still use the Mavic now and then, but the M3P is less hassle and I use it for everything these days.
I don't see me jumping to buy anything else to be honest, I was over 5 years between Mavic and Mini.

Reactions: umanbean
Reactions: WanderLost
I used to keep my earlier model drones when newer ones came out, and get around to buying the newer model in 6 months or so. I haven't kept up with everything DJI has come out with in the consumer space, but starting with the P3 I've had most of 'em, the Mavic Mini, and M2Z being exceptions.

About two years ago I decided it was no benefit to have the P3, A2, A2S, M2P, Mini 2 sitting in their cases doing nothing. Since then, I've sold off the A2, A2S, M2P (now wish I hadn't) and Mini 2. My Squadron is down to a Mini3P and Avata which I fly regularly, the FPV which i fly every few months, and P3 and Mavic Pro that never fly but I keep for sentimental reasons.

An Air 3 will be joining the the rest in the hangar soon. Probably not an M3 of any flavor, given how much the A3 has closed that gap.

How about the rest of you? Upgrading, or slowly procuring a DJI museum?
I've only been flying for less than a year. I started with an Air 2S, upgrade to a Mavic 3 and now a Matrice M30. Each time I was chasing greater capabilities and optical strengths.
I sold the Air right way, but I'm keeping the Mav 3 for now because of the great camera and smaller size, and consumer tricks that the app provides.

I'm thinking a Mini3 or 4 pro is in my future though for those occasions where I just want to make a quick flight and stay under the radar.

It was the same all these years with my photographic equipment. I really couldn't afford to "collect" equipment - I used the slightly older stuff to help scaffold purchases to newer and more capable things.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
When I got that first Phantom 3 ten years ago, I thought it was such an expensive toy. I couldn't conceive of buying another drone any time. Why? I already can fly around and see stuff.

I got more and more into the hobby, and it became more than just getting in the air, flying, and seeing stuff. I was tempted by the P4P, but just couldn't quite pull the trigger on thousands of $$ just to do what, for me, I could already do.

Then DJI came out with the Mavic Pro.

Oh.

My.

God.

That thing is COOL!!! I had to have it. And I did.

Just shy of $15k now, the rest, as they say, is history. While my position right now is to get an A3 and skip the M3 entirely, the future M4 Pro is likely in my future.

I used to keep my earlier model drones when newer ones came out, and get around to buying the newer model in 6 months or so. I haven't kept up with everything DJI has come out with in the consumer space, but starting with the P3 I've had most of 'em, the Mavic Mini, and M2Z being exceptions.

About two years ago I decided it was no benefit to have the P3, A2, A2S, M2P, Mini 2 sitting in their cases doing nothing. Since then, I've sold off the A2, A2S, M2P (now wish I hadn't) and Mini 2. My Squadron is down to a Mini3P and Avata which I fly regularly, the FPV which i fly every few months, and P3 and Mavic Pro that never fly but I keep for sentimental reasons.

An Air 3 will be joining the the rest in the hangar soon. Probably not an M3 of any flavor, given how much the A3 has closed that gap.

How about the rest of you? Upgrading, or slowly procuring a DJI museum?
I had Mavic1 (sold) Mavic Mini (sold) Mavic2 - with me Mavic3 (sold) Mavic3pro - with me. I still have the Mavic2 because it has Firmware hack that allows to flight anywhere and at any altitude. This drone is usefull for some jobs done with careful planning like very low altitude near airport, or clinb mountains.

I too have been flying for less than a year---I guess I am both. I have a FPV, Avata, and Mavic Classic all with goggles----but I did sell my Mini 2. Does that count?

I too have been flying for less than a year---I guess I am both. I have a FPV, Avata, and Mavic Classic all with goggles----but I did sell my Mini 2. Does that count?
Haha - you may be like me and firmly in the GAS camp. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Reactions: 4 inch pistons
I'm a keeper, but I only have a cheap Syma X5SC, a Mavic Pro and the M3P I got last year. The Syma doesn't get used because every time I took it out the wind took it further than the battery. The last time was a bit of a hike to find it way down in a gorge. (My wife bought it as a present, so an effort was made to find it). I still use the Mavic now and then, but the M3P is less hassle and I use it for everything these days.
I don't see me jumping to buy anything else to be honest, I was over 5 years between Mavic and Mini.
I think the time between aircraft may depend on the upgraded capabilities and your use-case scenario.
How many people would jump on an Air 4s that did 3D video? Would that be a tempting upgrade?

Reactions: Jake 61
My thoughts exactly! I bought a Mini 2 only because I wanted to stick my toe in the water and check out the Fly app (do not like it). Plus, Litchi supports the Mini 2 even though it's virtual stick waypoints... so I feel like it's almost the best of both worlds.

I may end up with an Air 3 if I can justify it before they come out with the Air 4, or 3s or whatever
Ah, but you are really missing out on being able to use VLM with Litchi

Last edited:
I’m a giver, as someone above said, we also give depreciated assets to promising children/teens so they can move forward in aviation. And maybe become really involved. It gives old assets new life and possibilities. And our annual capital budget expenditures report is an anticipated read.

Fly safe. Godbless.

Ah, but you are really missing out on being able to use VLM with Litchi
I've used vlm for a few years now with my older (Go4) drones, the Mini 2 is just an experiment to play with. :)

I've been tempted to run the Mini 2 with some of my simpler saved missions, just haven't yet. Haven't had it very long, still trying to get familiar with the basics of it... ie: I've only read the user manual one time, and so far I've only flown it around in my backyard (a 10 acre pasture) 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: AMann
i still have all my old drones phantom 2 phantom 3 pro mavic pro mini 3 pro and my new air 3 but i never fly the phantoms now

I’m a giver, as someone above said, we also give depreciated assets to promising children/teens so they can move forward in aviation. And maybe become really involved. It gives old assets new life and possibilities. And our annual capital budget expenditures report is an anticipated read.

Fly safe. Godbless.
I just donated my Mini 1 to a HS where it will be used in both an Intro to UAS Systems class and a Drone Photography class.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne